News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Second gen. Charger door glass

Started by Lennard, July 19, 2019, 06:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennard

Is there a company that produces door glass that fits?
I bought door glass from AMD... doesn't fit.
So I bought door glass from ECS... doesn't fit. Wtf!

panhead

Good morning

What kind of issues are you having with the ECS glass?
I have a full set of glass coming for my Daytona project. I did talk to them about the AMD glass and told them there are issues with AMD not fitting right, and they said that there glass that offer is from a different company and shouldn't have any issues with the fit.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Lennard

The glass has to much arch in it on the vent window side. It doesn't have the same arch as the vent window frame.
I'm not computer smart enough to post pictures on this forum, so I will ask my buddy Bryan to do it for me.

Mike DC

This isn't the first time I've heard that complaint, about the over-arched side glass. 

FFS, it's the same glass on all the B-bodies.  You'd think there would have been enough demand to get it made right by now.     

VegasCharger

Quote from: Lennard on July 20, 2019, 10:09:50 AM
The glass has to much arch in it on the vent window side. It doesn't have the same arch as the vent window frame.
I'm not computer smart enough to post pictures on this forum, so I will ask my buddy Bryan to do it for me.

Pics  :cheers:

Lennard

Thanks for posting the pictures Bryan.  :2thumbs:

While trying to roll up the window, it ruined the $100 felt strip inside the vent window frame. So not only do I have two $465,- wall hangers, I'll have to buy new felt strips as well.

Mike DC

Wall hangers or not, who is making a correct set of side glass?  AFAIK nobody is.  

panhead

Quote from: Lennard on July 20, 2019, 02:20:52 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures Bryan.  :2thumbs:

While trying to roll up the window, it ruined the $100 felt strip inside the vent window frame. So not only do I have two $465,- wall hangers, I'll have to buy new felt strips as well.

Well that sucks,
Thanks for the pics!  That's a big help.
Now I see what headaches are coming my way...  I should be getting my glass here pretty soon, I'll check it against my original glass and see just how far its off.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

Lennard

:thumbs:
I'll probably have to put my scratched up 50 year old glass back in. :icon_smile_blackeye:

doctor4766

Whilst I don't know who the manufacturer of the replacement glass is, I can tell you that the majority of "replacement" body glass supplied around the world is at best, adequate for sealing up a hole left behind after a vehicle has been broken into.
The best glass in general is made by companies that are OEM suppliers to the world's car makers.
Plenty of companies (especially in Asia ie Thailand, China etc) have jumped on the aftermarket bandwagon and manufacture sub standard glass that is too big, too small, too warped or with ripples that can been seen at the right angle.
I don't think the "big" glass makers have a lot of interest in aftermarket glass for classic cars any more due to the low volumes
Gotta love a '69

Chargen69

all my amd glass fit good, but the vent window is exactly as you said

Lennard

AMD door glass had a bow in it horizontally... it didn't even fit in the door slot.

I called Stephens performance, who I bought it from and was told that I was the first person with that issue and that I must have tried to install it the wrong way. Sent them pictures and was told that they didn't see anything wrong with the glass and that it was supposed to be like that. :P

Months later I took the glass to the Spring fling Mopar show in Southern California where Ted Stephens had a booth and showed him what was wrong... so he couldn't deny it anymore. He took back the glass and gave me back my money.

VegasCharger

Per Lennard's request here are more pics.

Pic #1. OEM glass with straight edge showing that it's straight.
Pics #2. & #3. Aftermarket glass with straight edge showing that it has a gap in the middle of the run.

:cheers:

Mike DC

These problems with the repro side glass are perpetual.

Here's a thread from another forum about the same problems with ECS side glass.  The thread is from 2013 and guy says he bought the glass 'several years ago' in the opening post. 

Quotehttps://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/ill-fitting-door-glass-on-69-gtx.58210/page-3

AMD's glass draws similar complaints too.  I wonder if it's all the same stuff under the labels.

panhead

Good afternoon,

Well I managed to get my glass installed, with mine it was the new felt guides that gave me a hard time. At first use the old felt guides and all went well, but they where so brittle I had to use the new felts.  

Curt

It almost looks like we're working on the same dirty black car...
69' Dodge Charger 500

Lennard

So you`re saying that your ECS supplied door glass rolls up and down just fine now?

Mike DC

It still looks visibly off compared to the vent window channel.  Too different to be acceptable IMO. 

Kern Dog

Quote from: Lennard on July 20, 2019, 07:48:54 PM
AMD door glass had a bow in it horizontally... it didn't even fit in the door slot.

I called Stephens performance, who I bought it from and was told that I was the first person with that issue and that I must have tried to install it the wrong way. Sent them pictures and was told that they didn't see anything wrong with the glass and that it was supposed to be like that. :P

Months later I took the glass to the Spring fling Mopar show in Southern California where Ted Stevens had a booth and showed him what was wrong... so he couldn't deny it anymore. He took back the glass and gave me back my money.

Heck yeah....I love it when a vendor stonewalls you over the phone then gets his ass handed to him in person....As if all customers are clueless assholes that are supposed to just accept bad service.
Good for you, man!

panhead

Quote from: Lennard on July 31, 2019, 06:42:49 PM
So you`re saying that your ECS supplied door glass rolls up and down just fine now?

It has some resistance. It doesn't roll up and down as smoothly as it should. I believe it will over time. For a lubricant I used wd-40.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

Lennard

panhead

Good morning,

Here are some pictures of the passenger door glass. The measurements are the same on the drivers side.

1.  5/16" at the top
2. Midway down the glass 1/4"

And the bottom is 1/4" as well. I compared this against my C500 and at the same point's on both door's, they are 1/4".

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500

krops cars

Auto City Classic, Inc. I thought it fit good. charger bodie told me about them. They are in Minnesota.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 31, 2019, 09:23:57 PM

It still looks visibly off compared to the vent window channel.  Too different to be acceptable IMO. 

I'd say comparing the AMD glass to Curt's ECS glass, based on the pics, the ECS glass has basically the same curve/fit (comparing the vent frame gap/curve) as my stock OEM glass on my 70 Charger's passenger side, my driver's side OEM glass has a flawless fit/gap though in relation to the vent frame arch to glass profile, this tread came at a good time as I was contemplating some new repro side glass.... I'm wondering if perhaps it's just 50 yr old potmetal vent frames that have "shifted" over the decades, as potmetal can distort over the years depending on various stress factors...

70gtx440dana

I am about to purchase repo side glass as well. That is how I found this thread. From reading this post and a few others it looks like none of the repo options are very good. I do have original glass but hate to put 50 year old glass in a completely restored car. Any additionla feedback on the Auto City Classic Glass would be appreciated. I believe it is mfg. in Thailand.
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

Kern Dog

Quote from: Lennard on July 20, 2019, 07:48:54 PM

Months later I took the glass to the Spring fling Mopar show in Southern California where Ted Stephens had a booth and showed him what was wrong... so he couldn't deny it anymore. He took back the glass and gave me back my money.
In all fairness, one look at you and he may have refunded money that you never paid just so he could continue eating solid food.
I've smartened up since we have had a few words...I'm no dummy either.   :nana: