News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear main seal leak?

Started by 4aThrill, July 20, 2019, 06:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

So where to begin grabbing gas in Carlisle on Sunday for the ride home to VA, I thought I got bad gas because as soon as I started up the Blue Beast I heard knocking and pinning coming from the exhaust. Which we later found out 136 miles down the road after HEET and octane booster which didn't work that it was my torque converter bolts backing out due to lack of Red lock tight used. Two holes I must retap still and I believe I may have a rear main seal leak from the offset of this too.  I made it home after Bill put me up on the lift in Georgetown DE and we diagnosed the issue installed four used torque converter bolts with red lock tight on them but two are not and will not torque down to specs.  So I will be pulling the trans to retap the convertor because I don't trust the shop that did this to my car.  I get this feeling that they rather charge me for extra work to be done, even though they cut corners and put my safety in jeopardy. In the picture  is that something I should pull the pan now while I trans out and do the rear main seal or leave it be?

c00nhunterjoe

I have yet to see a bone dry big block mopar, unless it has a vacuum pump on it.  There are things you can check as far as making sure the seal retainer is riding the crank properly. But past that, i dont care what brand or style seal you install, or what fancy retainer you use, they will always be damp. Its a matter of physics and technology. Crankcase pressure has to go somewhere and stock style pcv isnt enough on 90% over "overhauls" ive seen.