News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Melting starter wires

Started by John Milner, July 22, 2019, 08:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

What would cause the starter wires on a 68 charger to get hot and start to melt? The starter is new, relay is new, starter wires are new, engine wiring harness is new. I started my car for the first time the other day after restoring it and it worked fine. I'm at a loss.

c00nhunterjoe

The main battery wire melted? Was this while cranking? If so how long were you cranking. Verify good grounds regardless.

b5blue

Check connections and crimps, I had loose crimp at battery.

John Milner

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 22, 2019, 08:31:54 PM
The main battery wire melted? Was this while cranking? If so how long were you cranking. Verify good grounds regardless.

Yes it was the main battery wire. It started smoking pretty good and melted some of the red insulation off. I cranked it maybe 10 seconds? It worked great the other evening. I'll double check grounds.

c00nhunterjoe

High amp draw. Low battery, bad starter, or bad ground.

krops cars

You can always add extra grounds. I always do. Helps everything.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 23, 2019, 05:50:00 AM
Low battery, bad starter, or bad ground.

:iagree: Make sure the battery negative cable attach point has a good clean contact with the block.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

krops cars

XH29N0G

For what it is worth, a new set of battery cables was installed when my car was restored.  The plastic melted and wore off because the wired heated up.  They were flexible cables, but too small of a gauge to transmit the current without heating up.  I replaced them with a larger diameter (lower gauge wire) and the problem went away.  This may not be your problem, but I would look into the gauge of the cables from the battery.  If I see the thread, I will post the link.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

gtx6970

starter dragging or to small a main bat cable IMO

John Milner

I am going to just blame it on a bad battery cable.  I installed another one and another starter relay and I'm back in business.  The starter relay was broken.  I opened it up and one of the contacts inside had dislodged.  I ended up re-using my 1968 original Mopar relay.  I'm having less faith in "new" parts as each day goes by.

XH29N0G

In my case, there were several options, and the one that was chosen was the least expensive.  The problem never reoccurred after I replaced with a new, but heavier duty battery cable which was more expensive.  Good luck with your fix  :2thumbs:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....