News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AC compressor not switching on

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, July 23, 2019, 08:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

My AC has been working great this Summer and today the compressor would not engage. With the blue 12 volt feed wire unplugged from the compressor I have 12 volts. Plug it into the compressor and the voltage drops to 0. Is my compressor shorted to ground now? I know nothing about how the compressor works.
Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Lawrence

70 sublime

Still have gas pressure in the system ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Sixt8Chrgr

I need to double confirm, but like I said it was blowing very cold one day and the next the compressor would not come on. If the pressure was low I believe I would see 12 volts on the compressor side of the plug once plugged to the 12 volt power source.

cdr

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on July 24, 2019, 04:53:19 AM
I need to double confirm, but like I said it was blowing very cold one day and the next the compressor would not come on. If the pressure was low I believe I would see 12 volts on the compressor side of the plug once plugged to the 12 volt power source.

plug the compressor in, check for power on both sides of the pressure switch located on the drier.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

If you have 12V at the compressor, the switch is closed but the switch might have an internal fault that drops the voltage under load. Jumper around the switch to see if it's faulty.

If jumpering around the switch gets the system working OK, the pressure is OK.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Sixt8Chrgr

Ok thanks guys. Anyone happen to have a picture of the pressure switch? If not I can look it up in the FSM.

John_Kunkel

It's mounted on the receiver/drier.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bronzedodge

Not in all years - some factory systems actually did not have a pressure switch 69 and earlier.  Retrofit kits usually did.
Mopar forever!

Sixt8Chrgr

My car is an early 69 and does not have a pressure switch.

Last night I was playing with the car and the compressor came back on. It was late and I did not check the voltage at the compressor plug while connected to the feed. Will check and confirm 12 volts or another voltage.

Thanks