News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edelbrock ProFlo XT EFI Intake: Anyone Have Experience?

Started by TexasStroker, July 23, 2019, 11:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7144

I've seen several builds over the years that were "in progress" with this manifold, but never one fully finished.  Has anyone actually completed a build?

I am leaning towards the more traditional manifold due to having already bought some other key components (radiator etc.), but wanted to check in before totally ruling this option out.

In addition to how the manifold performed, I am curious as to what issues were encountered on the front end?  Water neck, radiator & hoses, air intake, etc.  It seems like one could run into a whole lot of restructuring.  I would imagine a cold air box could be built behind the grill and in front of the core support, but going to the left side you'd have to contend with the battery.  Similarly, I'm thinking the throttle bodies are 4.5" OD and that size of an intake tube would further complicate space constraints.

Any insights are appreciated.

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

c00nhunterjoe

WHITE AND RED 69

Also check out Redmist's build. He used a 90 degree water neck and had a few different air cleaner setups that had the battery in the stock location and one that went behind the grill.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,99432.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,114144.msg1506866.html#msg1506866
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

TexasStroker

Thanks...
I'd only dabbled in the backend of redmist's Megasquirt thread...Pic I needed was on Page 3, lol.

Also found a few others where I could see the full scope of their intake, not just a cropped shot featuring the engine/manifold.  I've seen a few builds across various forums, but it seems people tended to switch directions, or sell their car before getting much farther than a throttle body.

I'm also pretty sure, based on the second linked thread to redmist, that anything better than just sticking a cone filter on would require the battery leaving.  I sunk a good bit into the radiator/fan a year or two ago and need to mock it up to see what kind of space I'd have to work with.

I liked this intake for future forced induction possibilities.  If I remember correctly, I think Edelbrock was going to have tuning capabilities late this summer.  Might be better off to just go with the more traditional offering now and should I take the planned stroker build of yesteryear to a supercharged direction, just make the switch at that point.

Plan will be to run the Holley Terminator on the Duster and try the Edelbrock out on the Charger.  Now I just need free time...
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Well, a couple of notes.  I'll just document them here for anyone taking this route in the future.

People will either love the aesthetics of the XT Manifold, or hate it.  For what it is worth, you can opt for as cast, or black.  Those that hate it probably fall in the camp of the other available option, a 4150 styled intake.  This intake is the Victor EFI.

I was pretty surprised to see the power band for each of these intakes.  I was well aware the Victor was a single plane intake, but figured it would kick in like my Torker II and just have a little more up top.

*Torker II: 2,500-6,500
https://www.edelbrock.com/torker-ii-chrysler-big-block-rb-intake-manifold-5091.html
**XT Intake: 1,500-7,000 RPM
https://www.edelbrock.com/pro-flo-xt-chrysler-big-block-rb-efi-intake-manifold-7144.html
***Victor Intake: 3,500-7,500
https://www.edelbrock.com/victor-440-efi-intake-manifold-29545.html

I think most people, after looking at the XT and Victor, would have assigned those power bands opposite of reality.  That is a lot of low end to give up!  Granted, with a big cubic inch stroker it should soften the blow, but it is definitely worth noting.

Also of note, the 4150 styled option has a 4 barrel throttle body.  The secondaries will start to open when the primaries are about 2/3 open.  This means the single blade throttle body on the XT will outflow the 4-barrel for most of the power band.  There isn't really enough data to make hardline comparisons, but +20 HP to the XT's favor seems to be the main note.

I'm at a point now where I just have to check hood clearance.  I believe every thread I've seen on the XT, recent and prior to the Pro-Flo 4, had no issues and people often reported the setup to be shorter.  I'll try to see where the Torker II and my 3310 stack up.

I'd really like to see a direct comparison between these two intakes, both equipped with the Pro-Flo 4.  If anyone has dyno numbers, or ETs off of Chrysler based builds feel free to share them.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

garner7555

I am very seriously considering the complete EFI kit from edelbrock and I want to use the XT style.   I am currently using FiTech and it is great, but I would like something more customizable when it comes to tuning.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

TexasStroker

Quote from: garner7555 on July 25, 2019, 08:50:55 PM
I am very seriously considering the complete EFI kit from edelbrock and I want to use the XT style.   I am currently using FiTech and it is great, but I would like something more customizable when it comes to tuning.

Awesome.  Couple of guys from here and FBBO on the Edelbrock forums as well.  XT certainly looks to be the way to go for power, the main complication is going to lie in creating an intake tube and then clearing everything in the way.

I have the Terminator Stealth kit for the Duster and was going to just do that for the Charger and subsequently have surplus parts that could work for either one.  I waited a good bit before jumping on and was pretty happy with my selection.  That said, I never expected a legitimate MPFI option would arrive so soon after and at a better price.

Definitely post up if you go with the XT.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Pulled the trigger on the XT this weekend!

I was able to cash in on Edelbrock's $100 off in conjunction with Summit's Labor Day promo...made it a pretty solid deal in my opinion.  A few years ago when I started looking at fuel injection for the Charger, I never dreamed I could pick up a multi-port option for this price, let alone with the distributor!

I leaned more towards the traditional Victor style intake, but just wasn't sure on hood clearance.  Derwud has one and got an old throttle body from Edelbrock to test out.  There is a guy on the Edelbrock forums, skidep, who is running the Victor intake (with Victor heads) and he had to resort to a 1.5" Drop Base with 2" element with the lid STILL hitting the hood.  I've broken motor mounts before and despite now running torque straps, don't want to risk anything.  His build is pretty cool, told him he should sign up here if he has not.

The kit should be here in a few days, but sadly I won't be able to touch it for awhile.  Broke my right thumb and that kind of limits what all I can do.  Least productive Labor Day weekend I've ever had.  Anyway, fortunate to still have my thumb and excited about getting back on track with a lot of upgrades for the Charger!

Also of note, virtually every time I buy something like this it has a price drop or goes on a much bigger sale within 2-3 months, lol.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

garner7555

Can't wait to here how you like this.      :2thumbs:        I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the XT system this winter.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

I pulled the trigger on the XT setup (#35923) this week.  Summit had it marked down right at $200, plus Edelbrock had a promotion for a free sump kit ($383).  I don't need the sump kit, but I can always sell it to help soften the blow.  I know this kit cost a lot of money, but for what is included it seems to be one of the best bargins in the EFI world currently.   I also love that with a simple injector change it will be good up to 950HP, not that I will ever need that much, but it's available if needed.   I love the idea of sticking a Paxton supercharger on this setup in the future, I probably never will, but it is a cool dream.   Can't wait to get this setup installed and tuned so I can give a comparision to my FiTech.     :2thumbs:

Link to the kit I ordered -    https://www.edelbrock.com/pro-flo-4-xt-efi-kit-for-big-block-chrysler-rb-413-426-440-engines-black-35923.html
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

TexasStroker

Nice...glad to see some more folks jumping on board!  It really is the best value, imo anyway, given how complete and thorough it is.

I had the same thoughts with the XT...it is ideal for forced induction applications.

I haven't had much free time lately, so I haven't monitored the board as much.  Thumb is slowly getting better, so hopefully over the winter I can get on this after working the truck over.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Derwud

I wouldn't trust that Derwud guy, he is a bit flaky...
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

TexasStroker

Quote from: Derwud on November 27, 2019, 05:46:53 PM
I wouldn't trust that Derwud guy, he is a bit flaky...

Into Chargers and EFI...must be flaky, lol.

Did you ever get to test fit the 4150?  My thumb is probably up to 80% functional, but the truck is down so I've got to tackle the 5.2 Magnum before moving back to the 440.  If I get the motor out of the truck I might mock this up on the current 440...something I wanted to do several months ago.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!