News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

lca movment ??

Started by dodgey68, July 28, 2019, 04:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgey68

hello
i have had front end issues for quite a while, had a few look at it with not a real fix, i had it on the trolly jack today, had a mate steer it left to right and i laid underneath watching what was going on, looks like the lca are twisting moving,  hmm do i remove them and weld plates to strengthen them or what else can  i do ??  

is this common
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

70 sublime

Have you ever changed the bushings that they pivot on ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

WHITE AND RED 69

Adding in the plates is a good idea but it sounds like the bushings are shot and there is some play in the arm. I'd pull the arm and inspect to see if there is any damage. Check out this link on repairing the arms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwes-SP8u4w  Also check the strut rod bushings.

What other issues are you having on the front end? What condition are all the other parts in?

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

ACUDANUT

lca ?  I think you mean Lower Control Arm.  Why not spend 3 extra seconds and spell it out ? :brickwall:

375instroke

Where the LCA bolts to the K-frame can crack, letting the arm flop around.

Back N Black

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 29, 2019, 05:35:09 PM
lca ?  I think you mean Lower Control Arm.  Why not spend 3 extra seconds and spell it out ? :brickwall:

Because we have you to spell it out.

dodgey68

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 29, 2019, 01:25:26 PM
Adding in the plates is a good idea but it sounds like the bushings are shot and there is some play in the arm. I'd pull the arm and inspect to see if there is any damage. Check out this link on repairing the arms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwes-SP8u4w  Also check the strut rod bushings.

What other issues are you having on the front end? What condition are all the other parts in?

very help full, i watched on how to remove and how to replace lower control arm bushes,, thank you

b5blue

Read the FSM for removal and installing, inspect them very closely for cracks/failed welds as stresses go bonkers with crappy bushings.  :2thumbs:

dodgey68

Bush's are flogged

b5blue

:2thumbs: Now your getting some progress!

dodgey68

All braced and rebushed.

green69rt

dodgey68

would drop spindles have anything to do with ill handling??

dodgey68

righto , fitted  the lower controls arms, reassembles all the front end, , had the front end wheel alignment done, ,, went for a  45 min  drive with a few mates,, it handled like an absolute pig , got the shits, drove it home  stuck it in the shed and left it,,  a month or so later, got it out went for a little drive, applied the brakes and herd a thump every time i stabbed the brakes, from the passenger side front area , got  out let my young bloke drive it and got him to keep stabbing the brakes, to my surprise i noticed caliper and hub  moving when brakes applied,, got  it home , did same test , and noticed the upper control arm moving quite a bit,, turns out the camber bolts  where stripped, and upper control arms moving from that,, holy shit, never ends,, but all repaired, new wheel alignment, went for a drive,, its the best its ever been since i rebuilt car, wahoo

garner7555

I hate to tell you this, but I would bet that your alignment shop messed up your UCA bolts.  If they were already stripped they they would have found it when they went to adjust Caster/Camber.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

dodgey68

Quote from: garner7555 on October 27, 2019, 09:17:22 AM
I hate to tell you this, but I would bet that your alignment shop messed up your UCA bolts.  If they were already stripped they they would have found it when they went to adjust Caster/Camber.

yep, i'd agree, but what do y do now, i had new camber bolts spare, just fix it

Lennard

Quote from: Back N Black on August 09, 2019, 05:14:55 PM

:lol:

b5blue

Quote from: Lennard on October 30, 2019, 06:31:06 PM
Quote from: Back N Black on August 09, 2019, 05:14:55 PM

:lol:
I use LCA in context and spell out only for clarification like FSM for factory service manual.

Kern Dog

I used LCA and UCA frequently. If someone doesn't like it, they can eat a dick. I am not an office guy and I don't type 50 words a minute, I'm a Carpenter that works on cars as a hobby.

dodgey68

hmm , i was thinking same, regarding  the wheel alignment shop ,   but its done and  over now, and another set of tires scrubbed on the inside  :brickwall:

dodgey68

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 31, 2019, 08:02:14 PM
I used LCA and UCA frequently. If someone doesn't like it, they can eat a dick. I am not an office guy and I don't type 50 words a minute, I'm a Carpenter that works on cars as a hobby.

:cheers: yep agreed

b5blue

So you fixed it and had another alignment?

dodgey68

b5blue