News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Package Tray Reference - 1968

Started by FastbackJon, July 28, 2019, 08:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

I found this package tray in our 1968 Charger, December 1967 Hamtramck built, white and blue interior.

The car has the rear-speaker control on the dash so I would expect two rectangles of punched out rows and columns for a speaker but instead found big holes someone cut.

This package tray hid under some vinyl and foam for about the last 30-35 years.

Does anyone else have a factory untouched rear package tray that looks like this same texture?

All of the reproduction I can find seed to have a different much tighter texture going both ways.

Thank you!
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

70 sublime

Oval not punched out hole
Is it big enough for a seat belt to pass through ?
Some had the shoulder belt in the back seat but not sure what year it would have been

Look in your car to see if there is a slot in the metal below where this punch out hole is
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

FastbackJon

The punch out hole must be for rear shoulder belts. I've never noticed that.

Can anyone please help with the other questions?

1) Is this original material (not including the speaker holes)?

2) Does anyone make an aftermarket tray with this same texture?

3) The pictures of reproduction package trays seem to be masonite texture. Are they? Does anyone have reference pictures?

4) ANSWERED

5) Factory speaker cutouts are 8 columns of 18 slits each side, whereas reproduction are 8 x 14?

Thank you!
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

FastbackJon

Does anyone else have a factory untouched rear package tray that looks like this same texture?

1968 Charger (mine is a December 1967 Hamtramck car)

Thanks!

FastbackJon

metallicareload99

Quote from: FastbackJon on August 24, 2019, 11:26:47 AM

1968 Charger (mine is a December 1967 Hamtramck car)

Thanks!

While my tray seems original it has been modified, a previous owner installed aftermarket speakers, but it does seem to be the exact same texture(April, St. Louis car). I also recall the repro package tray not being 100% accurate but I didn't pay real close attention, as my car isn't really the kind of car where it would matter. I can get better answers tomorrow
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

metallicareload99

Ok, tomorrow is the week after  ;) First one is the repro which is totally different
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Bronzedodge

My package tray was originally smooth.  I didn't want to cut it for speakers, so I ordered one from Classic Industries.  Box came mangled, tray all broken up, and the smooth side was down, textured masonite on top.  The inner packaging said REM Automotive.  So I called them after I got the pics sent to Classic.  Spoke to a really nice fella who's name escapes me at REM Automotive in PA.  They were kind enough to punch it in the opposite direction, so the smooth side was top.

Excellent customer service.
Mopar forever!