News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel sending unit kicked my butt today

Started by 69wannabe, July 28, 2019, 09:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

Got me yet another fuel sending unit for my charger (this makes the 3rd or 4th one) I can keep count but everyone I have swapped out I just ran the tank low and swapped it with the tank in the car. Not today tho, swapped it out and drove straight to the gas station to fill it up to see how the gauge was going to read and I got about 15 gallons in and decided to check under the car since I didn't think it was that low and of course it was pouring out like madness at the sending unit. Nothing I could do but head back to the house ASAP with it. Just decided to drop the tank and see what went wrong. Dropped it out and the seal looked to be in place so I really don't know what the deal was there and I had a different lock ring from one of the other sending units I had bought so I swapped it out and made sure the sending unit was centered up good and plugged off the inlet tube hole and tilted the tank all the way forward and I had both the return and other nipples plugged off and it didn't leak a drop out from the sending unit now so I'm hoping that the gas leak is all gone now. It was actually reading 1/2 a tank and that may have been a little low but if it reads close i'm leaving it alone. I am actually hoping it will read at least 3/4 of a tank at full and that will be fine with me at this point since the last one only read between 1/4 and 1/2 when it was full. Wish I had a dollar for every time I screwed something up......

303 Mopar

All the repo units are made overseas with cheap thin lock rings and the float arm is off.  If at all possible, get an OE lock ring since it is thicker although you will still have to adjust the arm for it to read even remotely close.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

69wannabe

I got the leak fixed but with the tank full it reads a little bit over 1/2 a tank. How much would I have to bend the float arm to correct this to make it read close to full you think or is it just trial and error??