News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Last electrical question

Started by Bwword, July 30, 2019, 11:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bwword

I recently purchased a 1973 with the 400 4 barrel carb. I have worked out most of the electrical issues with the help of the shop manual / wiring diagrams. I am still stumped regarding the circuit #5 on the fuse block - the one with the 5 amp fuse that feeds the lights to the instrument cluster.  I have no power in this circuit and no power when testing a new fuse at the fuse block connectors.  The other 7 fuses (20amp) all have power. Any ideas?
Thanks

Gold Rush

OK, let me see if I can shed some light (no pun intended) on this....

Power to the circuit comes from fuse #4 to the head lamp switch.  When the switch is pulled out it passes that power on to the variable resistor controlling the dash lights and a couple other places.  With the switch knob fully counterclockwise (not in detent position) power is supplied to fuse #5.  By turning the knob just slightly clockwise less power is sent to fuse #5.  The further clockwise the knob is turned less and less voltage is applied causing the lights to dim down.

I hope that helped.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!