News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 “metal rubbing/torsion” sound very slow turns

Started by Rudderguy, July 31, 2019, 01:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudderguy

Best I can describe it...at very very slow speeds...like crawling in parking lot...when turning i am getting a metal torsion or rubbing sound. Brakes on or off. In gear has no bearing. When i straighten out it disappears after a few feet of straight ahead. This is the only time I hear it. A general look underneath reveals nothing. It sounds as it originating from the rear. It is very prominent.

Any ideas?
Rudder Guy

70 sublime

Do you have a limited slip rear end or just open gears ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Rudderguy

Rudder Guy

Rudderguy

So...the ubolts were not that tight...re-torqued them...road test...not it.

But....i think it may be the brakes. Coast into a full left or right not in gear to a stop...put in drive and car will coast out no sound. Ease into tight turn, ease on brakes to stop...then ease off to start again...here comes the very prominent sound. From rear...like "metal on metal" slip/thug kind of sound. But...straight into a slow stop and start...nothing.

Ideas?
Rudder Guy

Rudderguy

Update...

It was the clutches in the sure grip that were worn.

Replaced the clutches...everything else looked great in there. The suregrip and main gear were dated one day apart...March 22 and March 23/68.  Was very interesting to see.

All the noises gone now!
Rudder Guy