News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drum Brake Hubs

Started by Steve T, June 26, 2019, 09:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve T

Hello,

I have a 69 Charger 383 and 11" drum brakes and I need to replace a wheel hub.  I have done several searches on the forum and have come up empty and have found nothing in web searches.

My question is what years/bodies would have used this particular hub?  I have to imagine it would have been fairly standard for a number of years and across multiple platforms.  I would like to call salvage yards in my area and don't want to limit them to a 69 Charger.

John_Kunkel

The hub is usually considered an integral part of the drum, even the factory didn't list it as a separate part.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Steve T

Thank you, that is very interesting and makes sense given the difficulty I am having finding a "hub".  What is also interesting is that one can purchase just the drum without the hub from auto parts stores.  I don't mind replacing the drum and hub but I can't find either.  Suggestions?  I have to imagine that someone who did a disc conversion would have some laying around that they have been tripping over but I can't find any listed anywhere.

John_Kunkel

Why do you need the hub? Damaged? Missing?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Steve T

I am in south central (New Braunfels) Texas.

The hub was damaged due to an incorrect outer bearing set being installed.  I took the hub and correct bearing set to a local bearing company who was able to provide an alternative bearing set.  I had to remove a very small amount of material from inside the outer hub to get the race to press in.  It's all back together now and appears to be fine but I'll be keeping an eye on it for a while.

BTW, this is just temporary.  I want to install a front disc conversion which will make this all mute.

c00nhunterjoe

If you were closer i was going to give you mine, but thats a bit of a ride from texas.

AKcharger

I have 2 front drum hubs, PM me if you want 'em, just pay shipping