News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Former Daytona and SuperBird used as short track cars nearing end of usefulness

Started by odcics2, July 31, 2019, 02:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Guess they thought keeping the wing would help.
If anything, the extra weight back there did!

The original Ray Elder Daytona had a Charger 500 front end put on it.
We know the wing and Daytona front end was saved.
Wonder what happened to the chassis?   :shruggy:

Chuck Bown owned the Bird with the standard Road Runner front.
Anyone know the whereabouts of the Bird front end and wing, or chassis ?

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Redbird

The Bown Superbird front clip was listed for sale in the Winged Warrior newsletter about 1976.

I believe it started as a street car.

Aero426

Quote from: Redbird on July 31, 2019, 02:53:36 PM
The Bown Superbird front clip was listed for sale in the Winged Warrior newsletter about 1976.

I believe that both the Bown and John Soares cars started as street cars.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on August 01, 2019, 08:53:11 AM

I believe the same.   :yesnod:

:cheers:

djcarguy

Quote from: Aero426 on August 01, 2019, 08:53:11 AM

djcarguy

Bown an soares both west coast races? what area were they based from? in 77-78 there was Bown auto sales an wrecking in Bonnylake Washington.

they had some roundy,round cars out by the shop.dont think I will ever forget the wrecked cougar with teeth still in the steering wheel.  Did either car survive or more history  ???

wingcar builder

Quote from: odcics2 on July 31, 2019, 02:21:37 PM
Guess they thought keeping the wing would help.
If anything, the extra weight back there did!

The original Ray Elder Daytona had a Charger 500 front end put on it.
We know the wing and Daytona front end was saved.
Wonder what happened to the chassis?   :shruggy:

Chuck Bown owned the Bird with the standard Road Runner front.
Anyone know the whereabouts of the Bird front end and wing, or chassis ?

Ray told me he sold a Nichels chassis to a guy here in Pa. Got a deposit but never got the rest of the money. car ran a race or two then vanished. he said he thought the guy put road runner sheet metal on it but wasn't sure. I'm thinking that was the Daytona chassis. and we know where the hood it too.

Yes Soares told me his bird was a street car he picked up at the dealer. He got limited support from Chrysler and Nichels but he said Ray did slip him stuff. He said Ray flew out to him and brought him some jigs and parts too. Bown car was a street superbird and I was told the Kevin Terris  Superbird was a street car also that Gary Sigman built.

odcics2

Aero426

Sal Tovella got the blue #2 Norm Nelson Superbird in 1975.    Norm got the car in mid-1971 when Chrysler was done testing with it.    It became a 1971 Road Runner in 1973 and was sold to Sal in 1975.   You can see the rectangular opening in the dash to the right of the gauges where the Lockheed data recorder push buttons sat in 1970.  After 1977, it became a Magnum.    After 1980, it disappeared.    

odcics2

Aero426

Here is the other side of the coin where wing car parts were repurposed after 1972 for short track use.     

This car has parts from Roger McCluskey's Superbird after the body was cut off and the real car reskinned as a newer Charger.   The Superbird parts went on an older 1966 Plymouth short track car and continued racing (sometimes on dirt) for a while in Wisconsin.   

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mytur Binsdirti