News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed questions

Started by 70 sublime, August 02, 2019, 12:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Has any one used a newer 833 4 speed transmission with fourth gear being over drive in their car ?
I have heard there may be some problems with the aluminum case hanging together with a bit more horse power

In my other thread there are some pictures of what I am working with
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,135832.0.html

Can the short tail section off the transmission with the cast case be removed and replaced with the longer tail section from the over drive transmission ?
The over drive transmission tail piece is cast metal 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

RallyeMike

I am using one from an 80's van in my race car. Has not broken yet but I am also not grabbing gears hard. I'm told the fix is to bore out the countershaft slot and put a sleeve in it. I figured it was just cheaper to buy a spare trans, so I have one sitting on deck.

Yes the long tail shaft will swap over.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

303 Mopar

I have a Passon 833 OD in my '70 Cuda with a Gen III 6.4 Hemi and have no issues. 
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

70 sublime

Quote from: RallyeMike on August 05, 2019, 10:13:02 PM
I am using one from an 80's van in my race car. Has not broken yet but I am also not grabbing gears hard. I'm told the fix is to bore out the countershaft slot and put a sleeve in it. I figured it was just cheaper to buy a spare trans, so I have one sitting on deck.

Yes the long tail shaft will swap over.

Do you notice a big jump when you get into fourth gear with the over drive transmission or are the 1  2  and 3 ratios spread out a little more compared to the older 4 speed that 4th is direct drive ?

So if I put the over drive one in my car and manage to blow it up I can just take the tail section off and swap it onto my other transmission and be back on the road  :2thumbs:

I figured out the other day that I have a 2.93 gears in my rear end and add that to an over drive transmission I should be able to have some nice rpms for highway cruising 

c00nhunterjoe

1 2 and 3 will be similar to a 727

70 sublime

So doing some math on this

I measured my tires and they have a circumference of 90"
My rear end gears are 2.93
And if I use the over drive transmission top gear is .73 over drive

I end up with motor RPM of 1254 to get 50 mph
                                         1505 to get 60 mph
                                         1882 to get 75 mph

I was out tonight with my 2018 Dodge Ram and it was around 1900 rpm at 75 mph

Think I would be happy with these kind of numbers
When I get the car done I want to be able to get out on the road and go places with it and not just fart around town with it

Mike DC

This calculator on Tremec's site is pretty easy to use.  

http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

It's intended to compare the Tremec transmissions but you can fill any other gear ratios into the blanks.  There's also a little section down at the bottom to compute tire diameters.

RallyeMike

QuoteDo you notice a big jump when you get into fourth gear with the over drive transmission or are the 1  2  and 3 ratios spread out a little more compared to the older 4 speed that 4th is direct drive ?

So if I put the over drive one in my car and manage to blow it up I can just take the tail section off and swap it onto my other transmission and be back on the road  2thumbs

I figured out the other day that I have a 2.93 gears in my rear end and add that to an over drive transmission I should be able to have some nice rpms for highway cruising

Yes there is big jump 2 to 3. You can find the various ratios from the ODs on the net. They don't vary much between them. Typically they all have a higher first gear ratio which is nice to get you moving, relatively normal jump to 2, big jump to 3....

It's a cheap way to get OD. You have to take the gear spread as a sacrifice for the low cost.

Another thing to plan for is the different input seal plate. It is bigger in diameter than a normal 833. You will need to buy an aftermarket bell, or machine either the stock bell or the OD input seal plate to fit.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/