News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help fellas

Started by plasticman-32, August 03, 2019, 03:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticman-32

Okay charger family
I'm redoing my 68 and I'm completely uneducated on wheel and tire size. I'm looking at American racing wheels and I don't know anything about width, diameter or offset I need advice fellas I'd like the car to look mean but not tubbed
Thanks guys

Mike DC

As for technical info, search the past threads. 

As for what looks right . . . you might as well be asking which politician to vote for.  Which religion is the real one.  Which paint color looks better.  Etc.  It's purely an opinion and everyone's got one. 

plasticman-32

Steve T

I recently did all this reading and research, there is a lot to go through.  Offset is a big deal and I would recommend 0 as the maximum and you can probably fit -20 to -30.  I found negative offset wheels to be difficult to find in the style I was looking for that weren't $900+ each.  I settled on an American Racing wheel, 18x8 0 offset wearing 245/45/18 Nittos in the front and 18x9 0 offset wrapped in 275/40/18 Nitto rubber in the rear.  They fit perfect and it is exactly the look I was after.  The ride height in the front is perfect for me but a little more squishy than I'd prefer.  I am thinking of the Hotchkis 1.03 diameter torsion bars to fix this.  The back is too high and I have 2" blocks to get that down, just need to install them.

MikeDC is right, wheel tire set up on these cars is entirely personal and there are a LOT of options.  One thing that is indisputable for me, though, is offset.  Any positive offset wheel on these old Chargers will not look right at best and will rub at worst.  Ask me how I know

plasticman-32

Quote from: Steve T on August 08, 2019, 03:27:37 PM
I recently did all this reading and research, there is a lot to go through.  Offset is a big deal and I would recommend 0 as the maximum and you can probably fit -20 to -30.  I found negative offset wheels to be difficult to find in the style I was looking for that weren't $900+ each.  I settled on an American Racing wheel, 18x8 0 offset wearing 245/45/18 Nittos in the front and 18x9 0 offset wrapped in 275/40/18 Nitto rubber in the rear.  They fit perfect and it is exactly the look I was after.  The ride height in the front is perfect for me but a little more squishy than I'd prefer.  I am thinking of the Hotchkis 1.03 diameter torsion bars to fix this.  The back is too high and I have 2" blocks to get that down, just need to install them.

MikeDC is right, wheel tire set up on these cars is entirely personal and there are a LOT of options.  One thing that is indisputable for me, though, is offset.  Any positive offset wheel on these old Chargers will not look right at best and will rub at worst.  Ask me how I know

Hahaha lol I won't ask  :popcrn:

perfect information I really appreciate it