News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Charger tie down points

Started by pb24, August 06, 2019, 02:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

I would like to put my Dodge charger in my enclosed trailer. I'm trying to figure out the best way to strap it down, on the rear I'm going to put some plates underneath the U bolt mounts  cross  the straps to my E track  but on the front I'm not sure where the best location would be to strap it I tried putting around the key member and it kind of works what do you guys do to secure the front when you tow your charger on a trailer

Alaskan_TA

Charger or not does not matter.

I use straps around the rear axle & K-frame.

JB400

K frame or lower control arm.  K frame compresses the suspension, lower control arm does not.

Ghoste

I agree, get some compression in there if you can.  I've seen a lot of cars damaged inside trailers because the body was able to bounce around even though it was tied down.

Mopar Crazy

Make sure you cross both front and rear straps.   :2thumbs:
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

pb24

Thanks everyone for the towing tips

bill440rt

I installed an E-track system & use over the tire straps.
If you tie it down allowing the suspension to still bounce (K-frame, for instance), those straps will work themselves loose much quicker. If the body is left to move on the suspension the straps will stay in place better.
I recently picked up a set of tie down plates for the rear axle I'm going to install this week, will make tying the car down at the rear much easier.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69rtse4spd

Do those bolt to the bottom of the U-bolts, if not could you post a Pict. thanks.

pb24

They do bolted to the bottom of the U bolts. I'm trying to post some pictures but it's tell me the file is too large

pb24

pb24

bill440rt

Those are the same U-bolt brackets I installed also.
Had them powder coated black.
For the front I'll still use the over the tire straps, or you can wrap an axle loop strap around the lower control arm.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger_Dart

Those look like something I could use. I did some searching on the net and could not locate them - do you have a source?
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

cbrestorations

I axle strap the k frame and just loop over the rear axle, Do Not Hook the factory frame holes!!!

Aero426

I like the idea.  The one thing I am concerned with is that you are point loading all the forces on that one spot of the loop on the tie down plate.  When you have a panic stop, the entire weight of the vehicle is pulling against the back edge of those two loops.   They would probably elongate before they would fail.   But it would be interesting to see a destruction test as to what kind of load they will take.  

When you go over the axle tubes or leaf springs, you are spreading the forces over a much larger and very robust area.    

c00nhunterjoe

I do not like pulling on the control arms. Pulls against the strut rods and lca pins in an unnatural way. I axle wrap the rear and k frame the front. Use a custom made block under the k frame so that the straps pull down against it and hold the suspension solid.