News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I took my car to the strip!

Started by Tmb84, August 07, 2019, 04:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tmb84

I took my car to orsa drag fest in sweden and did some racing!

What do you guys think of these 1/8mile times?
I did a total of 9 runs and won the bracket race :nixon:
10,25/112kmt - 10,29/114 - 9.92/114 - 9.95/113 - 9,94/113 - 9.97/109 - 9,89/115 -in the bracket race i had dial set at 9,89.

The car: 1970 Charger 500 727/383 L-code, matching number. 65000miles, the only things there has been done to the motor is a head gasket change in the 70's, innstalled a purple shaft cam,-unknown spec. Edelbrock dp4b intake, edelbrock avs600 carb, hp manifolds. Dual 2,1/4 exhaust, 3,55 suregrip. 275/50-15 et street tires.

I had the gear stick in 2 and let the trans gear itself from first to second. Went to third gear after finish line.

70' Charger 383 -top banana
71' hemicuda Sox&Martin "tribute"

b5blue

TexasStroker

Great job!  I'd say that is pretty respectable...main thing is getting your Charger out and enjoying it  :2thumbs:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

justcruisin

Great stuff, getting to the track is always fun. No experience myself with the fly's eye air cleaner but I have herd they can cost some power :shruggy: Maybe OK on a stock build. Regardless - good work, keep us posted on any further runs :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

Not bad for a little 383. In the 1/4 mile thats a 13.70- 13.80

justcruisin

I think your reading his ET wrong Joe.

Tmb84

I am already thinking on a 8sec run next year. This is a low compression engine so i think the first step would be to rise that a bit.. is the easiest way to shave the heads and intake? And maybe change the 600AVS to a 650avs2? I have looked at the spark plugs and its on the edge to lean. Also thinking about change the intake manifold to a performer rpm. Not sure about headers, i like to have some low end tourqe. Electric water pump have crossed my mind..

Lot of fun to hit the track, i sent a message to the previous owner in new Jersey, he said the car havent seen a track since the seventies when he went to Atco. -when i said i won he replied -the car have been a sleeper for almost 50 years!  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

Indeed i did... thought it said 8.89... yikes.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Tmb84 on August 08, 2019, 06:18:31 AM
I am already thinking on a 8sec run next year. This is a low compression engine so i think the first step would be to rise that a bit.. is the easiest way to shave the heads and intake? And maybe change the 600AVS to a 650avs2? I have looked at the spark plugs and its on the edge to lean. Also thinking about change the intake manifold to a performer rpm. Not sure about headers, i like to have some low end tourqe. Electric water pump have crossed my mind..

Lot of fun to hit the track, i sent a message to the previous owner in new Jersey, he said the car havent seen a track since the seventies when he went to Atco. -when i said i won he replied -the car have been a sleeper for almost 50 years!  :2thumbs:

Small world. I race at atco new jersey...
On a street car i would not do an electric water pump. Yours is running high 15s in the 1/4. If you are looking for power an overhaul and upgrade is in order. You could do a few more bolt ons but i doubt you will see much improvement. If you are sticking to strictly 1/8 mile and dont do much highway driving, consider a gear change. A set of 4.10s would really drop your 1/8 mile et considering you set the traps in 2nd

Tmb84

It will only be 1/8 mile racing. There is no reason for a rebuild, it doesnt burn oil and the oil pressure is 45psi.
If i switch to 4.10 i probably need to enter 3 gear before finish line.. maybe a 3.73 would be the best choice.

justcruisin

At 115kph with a 4.10 gear and your tires you should be around 5500 rpm and around 5000 rpm with the 3.73 gear - plus converter - in second gear.
I don't think you will see too much going from the 3.55 to a 3.73, I wouldn't bother.
If it was me I would go to a 4.10 gear and add some 275/60R15 drag radials. See how that goes and move on from there.

justcruisin

Sorry just read you have et streets, just go with the 4.10's, the 60 series will drop your rpm's a bit but not worth the cost if you already have tires. Just depends how hard you are comfortable to push the tach.

Tmb84

Okey, Thanks for the spec. I got some well used tires from a friend and i burned them out after i won! My street tires is 275/60-15. So i prob get some new ET street inn same size.

BSB67

Its great that you got out to the track.

What was your 60' time?  How were you launching?  Were you spinning the tires at launch?

Generally, if your already have your starting line technique to give you your best 60' now, changing gears won't help that much.  Changing gear and tire will help more.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Lennard

Quote from: justcruisin on August 07, 2019, 03:19:49 PM
No experience myself with the fly's eye air cleaner but I have herd they can cost some power :shruggy: Maybe OK on a stock build.
I've heard of a few under hood fires with these air filters because the filtration material got greasy/oily and a backfire ignited it.

Tmb84

Oh shit! i will change the aircleaner asap.

My best 60ft was 2.27, i dont have a tach so i think i launch at ca 1500-2000rpm. With a proper burnout it do not spin the tires.

c00nhunterjoe

With a 2.27 60' you have ample room for improvement especially if the car is dead hooking. For everything you drop in the 60', you can double off of your et.

Tmb84

If i dont change the rear end gear, What should i do to make the 60ft better? Yesterday i actually found out that the heat riser in the manifold was stuck and didnt fully open. So we spot welded it in open position.

What about a bigger carb or change to rpm manifold..?
My goal is 60ft under 2sec and ET 9.50 or better, and not putting to much money in it.

c00nhunterjoe

Increase launch rpm. If it is dead hooking, see how hard you can launch it. Not much more you can do to drop the 60' if its hooking. Bigger carb will not help your current build, may actually hurt it on manifolds. The rpm is a better manifold, but you dont have sufficient bottom end to see much if any gain currently. What is the current initial and total timing? What quality of fuel do you have over there? If its a low compression motor with a purple cam, its going to want alot of initial. That will wake it up.

Tmb84

We got decent fuel, 98ron with no ethanol. 98ron i think is the same as yours 93r+m

I dont remember the timing.. i will check it next few days. How much timing do you think it will need?

c00nhunterjoe

You cant put a number on it without knowing the build. But i would start with 18/36 and work up from there. I ran my 383 at 26/40 most of the time but i had a a completely different build.

Tmb84

Okey, Thanks anyway, i will soon look into it.

We also got 95ron with 5% ethanol that i use most of the time. Dont feel any difference between 95 or 98 with this engine. But before winter i fill half up with 98. -It sit in a tempered garage.

BSB67

Like already mentioned, start with timing, initial/total of 16°/36°. Don't be afraid of 40°. You should be able to get to a 2.0-2.05 sec 60' time w/o a gear change with practice.   If the mufflers are old, change them.  Take any extra weight out of the car.  Inflate the front tire to max pressure, or more.  Front end aligned to zero toe with the front end raised a little. Get a tach and practice different shift points.  The collective total of these could be meaningful improvement in et.  

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Tmb84

Ok, Thank you very much guys.

I have 4 year old dynomax super turbo mufflers, ca 4000 miles on them. i like them but a bit quiet.. i have been thinking about Magnaflow mufflers instead.

BSB67

Are those the 17747 mufflers (I'm going by memory, its been about 20 years)?  If so, I've had a couple fail on me at different times.  With that, I recommend changing them from time to time.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph