News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buddy purchases a 69 Charger "restored" for 50k, did he get ripped off?

Started by mrlegoman, August 09, 2019, 08:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 10, 2019, 12:15:45 AM

A black engine bay is totally correct on a General Lee, though.  They always showed it black (or at least dark) on TV.  In the storyline the car started out black before the Duke boys rebuilt it.  

Hans Ludke's black engine bay?  I'm sure he just did it to hide hackwork.  

General Lee's had tan interiors also.
I can't stress this enough :
They still would make money and could make more buying it back..  2thumbs..
But we would be back again most likely with another buyer/victim.
The Charger looks decent, but the dealer in question raises red flags and sell a lot of crap. They are in for the money, and money alone.
The underside is the real issue, and of course the amount of Bondo used.  Most 440's can be rebuilt under 5K.  
I have seen Junk, Rusted, beat to death Chargers that don't run sell for 20K. So I don't think he won't get raped too bad.
You can tell it was once a green interior. Poor dye and attention to detail. They didn't even dye the seatbelts.
A lot of members here won't sell there car for under 50K

Kern Dog

"They are only in it for the money"
Well, of COURSE they are. Businesses that are NOT trying to make a profit end up being closed.
I am not defending these guys but to use the argument that they are only in it for the money is as accurate as saying that he only breathes to stay alive or He only waters the grass to make it green.

These classic car "dealerships" are just salesmen that cater to a specific market. 150 years ago the same guys sold Snake oil and linaments in a horse drawn cart going from town to town. Today they sell what many people seem to want: A shiny "restored" car that reminds us guys of the good old days. They almost always fall short of a proper restoration in terms of being OEM correct. I'd guess that the majority of their market is men with limited skills and limited knowledge of what is correct. They are in business to make money. Again, I am not defending shoddy workmanship or business practices, I just see them doing what many businesses do: Invest the bare minimum of work to garner the maximum of profit from it.

JR

Normally I try and find the bright side in these things, but yeah, that's a 20-25k car tops.

I suppose the bright side is he didn't do the normal military/contractor thing of going to buy a 2019 Charger at 24% interest for 72 months.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mike DC

QuoteI suppose the bright side is he didn't do the normal military/contractor thing of going to buy a 2019 Charger at 24% interest for 72 months.
Posted on: Today at 01:45:00 PM Posted by: Mytur Binsdirti

LOL

I just got curious and did some quick rough math on that.  A $36,000 Charger RT.  Assuming a $5000 down payment and 24% interest for 72 months.  

The interest alone added up to almost $28k.  Plus the car's lost value after 6 years.  

NHCharger

I would run a magnet over the exterior to see how deep the filler is.
Yeah, he got boned.
The homemade lower door panels made me cringe.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Mike DC

This ripoff was particularly bad because it's a combination job.  For what it's worth I'm sorry, man. 

There is the baseline price increase that happens at any classic car dealership.  (You pay thousands extra for the convenience.  No dealing with a bunch of individual buyers spread out all over the country, you know the car's paperwork is legal, etc.) 

Then there was the real screwing on top of that because it was Hans's dealership.  The guy is notoriously crooked.  It's amazing that some pissed-off customer hasn't bashed his head in with a baseball bat by now.  It's amazing that it didn't happen many years ago. 

ACUDANUT

Mr.legoman. I know your new here, so check this section out.  " Delusional Charger sellers  ".
Here is one for $227,000.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Charger-R-T/163775266195?hash=item2621c43d93:g:SPsAAOSwAS5dKpHT
Best of luck.

Challenger340

Yeah, imo same as everyone else I think your buddy got hosed, or let's just say "could have done better" for the price ?

But where I differ as to why he got hosed ? is that I believe it's his own fault for NOT doing his due diligence adequately.

HPLAG, classic car dork,  or true muscle cars or whatever that guy is called this week, they have been around for a very long time and are obviously filling a niche within the market for what is IMO, crap vehicles at inflated prices, but the point being there doesn't seem to be a shortage of "less than savvy" Buyers.... so on it continues.

BTW, try and get $20-25K for the General Lee.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sorry for your friends loss on this one.  Thank him for his service though!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

comet_666

:Twocents:
$15k
without seeing it in person and you also said it runs like crap too.

AKcharger

HLPAG...my gosh we wrote books about that place here.
Id say car is a $25-28 ish car

Ghoste

c00nhunterjoe

Why did he buy a car from a dealer to try and flip it for profit?  :shruggy:

Troy

It really saddens me every time I see one of these threads. If you Google their website name, the first page has links to threads about them here. It's pretty easy to find stories about them ripping people off (and have been since before this site was even created in 2005). They not only prey on people who dream of owning a classic Charger but, in addition, the dream of owning a General Lee. Fans are more apt to overlook obvious flaws - either because they are wishing too hard or because they just aren't car people.

That last part is really what I wanted to focus on. Yes, a person can do lots of research and see outrageous prices for these cars. Then they read about how impossibly hard it is to find one in good condition - and how much harder it is to restore one correctly from a rusted out project. In the end, it makes perfect sense to pony up the cash and buy one "done". And that, unfortunately, is what Hans uses to manipulate so many people.

The thing about value is that there are so many details and nuances that affect it that casual or uninformed people will miss. For example, my parents think a "good" paint job is like what you'd see on a new car. Therefore, anything that's all one color and doesn't have obvious large dents or peeling meets their standards. On the opposite end, people who really study these cars (especially General Lees) will nit pick the shade of black used in various places and the proper application of overspray. And, honestly, cell phone pictures (and cell phone pics mangled by Facebook's upload) can easily make the differences between $20k and $50k seem negligible. People who have never had to build one of these cars may not appreciate just how expensive certain parts are (grill plastic, tail light assemblies, wiring harnesses, and so on). For every piece of pitted chrome, worn fabric, checked paint, and dry rotted rubber the cost to repair snowballs. Then there's the sellers who bank on the buyer not understanding originality (option codes, engine availability, identification, etc.) and price a car "as if" it were an original example. A lot of buyers, unfortunately, get their idea of "value" from watching Mecum and Barrett Jackson where pristine examples with a mountain of paperwork are featured - but not seen alongside Billy Bob's backyard restoration of a base model car with a motor home big block and 23-spline 4-speed swap.

I hate to tell you to dig deep into that car to figure out all the flaws. You may find out it's completely wasted - and probably unsafe to even drive. Everything you uncover you'll want to tell prospective buyers. Almost better to be ignorant of the facts and pray it's not as bad as it could be.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

myk

Eh, same thing happened to me when I bought mine and anyone else who doesn't do the research and homework before they pull the trigger.  However, back in '94 I didn't have the internet, only word of mouth, and people were only in to Chevy's, Fords or Honda Civics with fart can mufflers on them.  Today?  There's no excuse.  There's a bevy of information out there and it is very easy to make an informed decision.  If I only knew then what I know now......Anyway, that car looks like mine and I would never think to ask more than $25K for it...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

AKcharger

I can't believe that guy isn't in jail or dead after cheating the wrong person. I recall some of the heart wrenching stories, worst was the wife whose husband always wanted a Charger and she bought one from HLPAG as a gift. After being assured it was a perfect car a few days later a transport drops off a rusted pile of crap in front of their house.

I mean, there Hell, then there's the level of Hell Hitler lives....Hans deserves to be 17 levels lower!!!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 21, 2019, 11:55:33 AM
Why did he buy a car from a dealer to try and flip it for profit?  :shruggy:

If you read the post, that is not the case.

Ghoste

Troy, did you not egage in a great battle of words with old Hans many years ago?

AKcharger

Quote from: Ghoste on August 22, 2019, 05:35:58 AM
Troy, did you not egage in a great battle of words with old Hans many years ago?

If so please repost...HLPAG bashing threads is what made DC.com great!