News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help finding a 1968 A/C lower dash pad

Started by DAmatt, August 10, 2019, 10:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAmatt

I am nearing completion on my '68 R/T restoration, and one problem I have is that the lower dash is a bit warped. The rest of the dash being OER, it stands out in a really bad way. Does anybody reproduce a center lower dash pad for cars OEM A/C? All that I can find is for cars without it.

I know about Just Dashes, but I am in Europe, and sending my stuff to the US, and then reimporting, involves a boatload of retarded paperwork with customs, which I am trying to avoid at all costs.

If all else fails, is there a place to look for used center A/C pads, to be sent to Just Dashes? Again, all I can find on ebay is for non A/C cars

Thanks in advance
1968 Charger R/T auto, matching numbers 440 rebuilt to stock specs w/ L2355F .030 pistons & .039 gasket, MP 4452783 cam, stock 4637S Carter AVS rebuilt by Harms automotive feeding a stock 2806178 intake manifold. Air gets into unported 906 heads with hardened seats, and exits through HP manifolds and through an Accurate 2.5 to 2.25 aluminized exhaust to the 2.25 stock chrome tips. Still in awe of what the engineers were able to do more than half a century ago!

armor64

the center AC panel is a unicorn for these 68/69 cars. I have seen on here somewhere someone cut into a non-AC one to use aftermarket vents in it and it looked fantastic. As far as i know no one has an aftermarket one, just factory rare ones.

green69rt

Quote from: DAmatt on August 10, 2019, 10:35:44 AM
I am nearing completion on my '68 R/T restoration, and one problem I have is that the lower dash is a bit warped. The rest of the dash being OER, it stands out in a really bad way. Does anybody reproduce a center lower dash pad for cars OEM A/C? All that I can find is for cars without it.

I know about Just Dashes, but I am in Europe, and sending my stuff to the US, and then reimporting, involves a boatload of retarded paperwork with customs, which I am trying to avoid at all costs.

If all else fails, is there a place to look for used center A/C pads, to be sent to Just Dashes? Again, all I can find on ebay is for non A/C cars

Thanks in advance

For you there are probably only three solutions.

1. Find a good non-AC pad (expect to pay several Hundred $US for a good one if you can find one) and hang an aftermarket center vent under the dash (from Classic Auto Air.)
2. Find a fair pad (again hundreds of dollars if you can find one) and modify it as I did.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127894.msg1591275.html#msg1591275

3. Win the Lottery and find a good AC pad (good luck).

DAmatt

Thanks for the tips!

Option 1 is a no-go, I am trying to do a concours restorations, so Yes, I'm even reviving the old RV@ compressor with the old R12 freon gas. Classic air would have been a no brainer if it were built with a disregard to factory stock (and so would 500hp instead of ~320 for the same dough)

I have to congratulate you on option 2, it could pass for a factory piece! Alas, I think the judges could spot the difference.

I am open to option 3, and am willing to pay premium for a piece (ANIBODY??  ;D). Mine is alright, but it got warped.

Is there a way to "un-warp" a vinyl dash pad? Or any solution that doesn't involve shipping something to the US?

1968 Charger R/T auto, matching numbers 440 rebuilt to stock specs w/ L2355F .030 pistons & .039 gasket, MP 4452783 cam, stock 4637S Carter AVS rebuilt by Harms automotive feeding a stock 2806178 intake manifold. Air gets into unported 906 heads with hardened seats, and exits through HP manifolds and through an Accurate 2.5 to 2.25 aluminized exhaust to the 2.25 stock chrome tips. Still in awe of what the engineers were able to do more than half a century ago!