News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

switching to Mallory fuel pump/ filters?

Started by JerseyJoe, August 10, 2019, 06:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerseyJoe

My Holley Blue finally burned up and I picked up a Mallory 140.
I currently have a Fram HPG-1 canister between the pump and the regulator, and a Russell -8AN disc type filter (40 micron) before the carb.
Since the Mallory is the gerotor type I'm putting another Russell disc filter before the new pump.

My question is do I still need the Fram canister? Or is it overkill or restrictive? I believe the Fram is rated at 90gph and the Russell is 130gph, if I even need that much.
Thanks in advance  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Hi Joe,

I run a Mallory 250 with a 100 micron on the inlet and 40 micron on the discharge. Both are mounted directly to the pump. No other filters. The 250 GPH pump has an external bypass so the pump is plumbed as a dead headed system but the bypass relieves pump pressure and circulates fuel back to the cell.

The Mallory 140 does not have an external bypass so I would run a return style regulator to keep fuel circulating. This will keep the pump running cooler/quieter and also prevent fuel boiling. The gerator style pump is better than the vane style (Holley) and are quite reliable for continuous duty if properly set up.

These are the filters i'm using. The smaller version is rated at 150gph so you can use these with your Mallory 140. The elements are also cleanable/replaceable. RobbMc is a former engineer at Mallory performance so he knows what works well with that product line.  :yesnod:

https://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/filters.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

JerseyJoe

Thanks Ron,
    I am adding a return line for this and as an addition to those detonation fixes I was working on. The dead head setup probably shortened the life of the Holley pump.
I like the idea of having the filters back at the pump, it'll help clean up the line in the engine bay.
Robb makes nice stuff, I have his offset dowel pins and they're nice pieces. I'll check out the filters.  :yesnod: