News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Death on an old tire with good tread

Started by taxspeaker, August 11, 2019, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

Yesterday there was a very small show in the tiny town of Sellersburg Indiana. (Might sound familiar-think Charlie Glotzbach). We had 7, yes 7 wing cars represented here, but that's not the story. I can only do 1 or 2 shows a year because of work and this is 1 of my favorite because of the veterans combined with the younger crowds. One of the guys that we expected didn't show up, and midway through the show a horrible announcement came from up front. Friday night the gentleman involved was driving home from Bowling Green KY on brand new looking, low miles Radial T/As. They were however 12 years old. One blew out and he was killed in the subsequent rollover.

When I drive mine the tires never show much wear, but I pay particular attention to the date code on the tires, and won't drive one over 5-6 years old. Goodrich says not over 10.

Date code information:

Look for the letters "DOT" in raised black letters. After the DOT insignia is your tire's identification number, which begins with the tire's manufacturer and plant code where the tire was manufactured (two numbers or letters). The ninth and tenth characters tell the week the tire was manufactured. The final number(s) signifies the year the tire was manufactured. For example, if the DOT code ends in "2807," the "28" indicates that the tire was made in the 28th week of 2007.

alfaitalia

In the UK several insurance companies (not mine) won't even insure you if your car has tyres over 7 years old. Age and UV kills tyres. People wrongly think tyres are ok at any age if stored correctly (in the dark etc)...its rubbish...they dry out and harden regardless. Always makes me wince when I see folks on here proud that their A1 resto is running on date correct original tyres! Sorry about your friend.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

green69rt

Yes, in some cases the age related effects take place inside the tire where you can't see them.  As a side note most folks don't think about the spare tire.  It ages also.  If you keep your cars for a long time (like I do), don't forget to change out the spare every 7-10 years.

And sorry for the loss, not something that I would want to happen to anyone.

Birdflu

That's terrible! Sorry to hear about your friend!

69rtse4spd

Sorry to hear this, thanks for the info.

67440chrg

Sorry to hear this. Prayers for his family. I just bought a 91 s10 with 5300 miles with 12 year old new tread tires and am not putting highway miles on it until I get new tires.

c00nhunterjoe

5 and out on my dailys. 4 on the motorhome and trailers. 60 passes on the slicks.

RallyeMike

I also lost two low mile 11-12 year old Michelins on a Ram 2500. I think the front went first, and then I would guess the took out rear one. The tread and parts of the sidewalls just separated from the core of the tires. They looked brand new with no signs of distress before they went. It was not a fun ride.

The risk is real.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mike DC

I swear this is getting more common.  

JB400

Don't forget to check your trailer tires, please.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 12, 2019, 05:47:42 PM

I swear this is getting more common.  

I agree. WTF happened to durability? Has the EPA mandated some radical changes in the construction or chemical makeup of the tires to cause their early demise?

c00nhunterjoe

Cars are getting heavier. Parts are getting cheaper. Look at asphalt and concrete too. Re blacktop in my area is good for a year before its gone from jet black to light gray and falling apart. Nobody can pour a solid concrete slab anymore.

Mike DC

The EPA mainly seems to worry about how old tires are being disposed of.  

Tires have gotten A LOT better at doing most of their jobs in the last few decades.  Performance, consistency across temperature ranges, long term treadwear, rolling resistance, noise, etc.  Maybe a loss in long-term durability is the price we're paying for that.

Maybe we are just seeing more very-old tires being used on the road now.  Tires are definitely lasting longer (miles driven) for a given amount of performance.  The cars & trucks themselves didn't used to last as long as they do today.  They definitely didn't used to be able to keep working so hard for so late into their lifespan.

Tons of muscle cars get restored, and then barely ever driven, but get beaten HARD occasionally.  That's a very inconsistent kind of usage.  

It could be something counter-intuitive, like the tire companies improving the longevity in some way.  Maybe modern tires are not showing their age on the outer layer as much. That would give people a false sense of security and uncover the next weakest link in the chain.

Maybe it's some combination of these things.  

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 12, 2019, 09:52:57 PM

Tons of muscle cars get restored, and then barely ever driven, and but get beaten HARD occasionally.  That's a very inconsistent kind of usage. 
It could be something counter-intuitive, like the tire companies improving the longevity in some way.  Maybe modern tires are not showing their age on the outer layer as much. That would give people a false sense of security and uncover the next weakest link in the chain.

Maybe it's some combination of these things.  

Interesting point about the tires looking better despite becoming structurally unsafe.
I have some Nitto 555 18" tires from my Charger that I replaced 3 years ago. I have them on a shelf and hate to get rid of them.
They are from 2003 and look like new inside and in between the tread grooves. There are absolutely no age cracks anywhere on them.

b5blue

This should get a sticky. While rebuilding suspension and doing bodywork I got 4 good stock wheels and put new near original size tires on. 4-5 years later I gave 3 away and kept one for a spare. (My spare had blown out and I didn't know until the swap.) Working on my 92 Tbird I found the same thing, blown space saver spare. Try to find one of those and someone who will mount it? I bought a new steel rim and tire near the height of my road tires to replace it. So yea check the SPARE! This reminded me to buy a new tire for my spare so thanks Bob! (I drive my 70 all the time.)  :2thumbs:

4cruzin

So what year did this start?  I don't see anywhere on my tires that the "DOT" is stated.  I did see something that could be a date and if it is . . . I'm in big trouble . . .  :rotz:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 12, 2019, 06:50:07 PM
I agree. WTF happened to durability?

More ozone in the atmosphere than in years past.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

67440chrg

I had to look on the inside of the tires to see a date at the end of the dot stamp. I would think they would put them on the outside but no.

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 13, 2019, 12:16:17 PM

No.
Don't believe nor spread the lies from the AOC crowd.

Ghoste

I think its more a push from tire mfg's to encourage replacement.  Marketing- a legit reason perhaps but still marketing. (like best before dates on bottled water)

alfaitalia

I remember tyres cracking from old age when I was a kid....I don't think its anything new. My dad never worried!.....but the old Brit cars of the time were so slow you probably would not have been hurt anyway! As far as date numbers are concerned they have been around at least since 1983...when I started driving....and doubtless long before.

EDIT....A quick  google shows DOT dates were being used at least back into the 60s.

For those that don't know what to look for....... https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/tyre-s-date-of-manufacture

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 13, 2019, 08:19:01 PM

:hah:
No.

But the RNC, that's a different story.  ::)

Ignorance is bliss.

alfaitalia

No.

What is AOC? Google gave me about a million different answers!

John_Kunkel

A particular politician of latin descent, not noted for brilliant thinking.

c00nhunterjoe

Uv rays eat tires. Open atmosphere eats tires. The rubber compound today is not what it was 10 years ago, and not what is was in the past. Period.

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 14, 2019, 01:13:06 PM
A particular politician of latin descent, not noted for brilliant thinking.

Well, we agree on that!

RiverRaider

From time to time I do run vintage tires and wheels on my cars.  Mickey Thompson Indy profiles, Formula 1 Super stocks and Firestone Super Sports.  I avoid high speed and aggressive steering when I run them.
I do not have them on the ground for more than a few days at a time and I store them in the dark in a climate controlled area when not in use.  These are all bias tires and if I run a tube in them they are powdered
to reduce friction.   I put enough miles on my daily drivers that the tires are used up before they hit 4-5 years.  I change tires every 4-5 years on my 3/4 and larger trucks, and every four years on the trailer including the spares,
those vehicles are stored inside.  I have found some yards will no longer sell the spare tires off of crashed trucks due to having many fail when used.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 14, 2019, 01:16:57 PM
Uv rays eat tires. Open atmosphere eats tires. The rubber compound today is not what it was 10 years ago, and not what is was in the past. Period.

If you believe the tire manufacturers, they will tell you today's tires are better because they have reformulated the rubber to deal with the unfriendly atmosphere.

odcics2

No.

And don't drink the red coolaid.   :lol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 15, 2019, 03:02:29 PM

If you believe the tire manufacturers, they will tell you today's tires are better because they have reformulated the rubber to deal with the unfriendly atmosphere.

I believe that today's tires do everything better than tires of the 1970s era. Better traction for braking and cornering for sure.

RiverRaider

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 16, 2019, 05:28:25 PM

I believe that today's tires do everything better than tires of the 1970s era. Better traction for braking and cornering for sure.
Except for looking cool and having the best advertising posters.  Hard to beat the tires from the 70's and 80's at that game especially Pro Trac's posters.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

Kern Dog

Yeah....Tire ads from days gone by were pretty cool. Even the BF Goodrich ads of the 80s were great with the classic cars and different color backgrounds.

ACUDANUT

Usually tires give you hints of going bad. Cracks and threads bulging. I have 8 ply tires (very thick) on my F350.  They are over 15 years old and are in perfect condition.

paironines

What kind of car was the guy driving that was in the rollover?

alfaitalia

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 19, 2019, 02:37:47 PM
Usually tires give you hints of going bad. Cracks and threads bulging. I have 8 ply tires (very thick) on my F350.  They are over 15 years old and are in perfect condition.

Not always true. I've removed what looked to be good tyres from the outside to find the inside is breaking up. Over here you would probably have void insurance for running such old tyres...for good reason. Even most major manufacturers recommend no more than 6 years....ok you might say "they would, wouldn't they".....but I'm sorry but no fifteen year old tyre is in "perfect condition". If nothing else the rubber is now rather harder than it was 15 years ago..increasing your stopping  distance in an emergency...and more likely to blow out in the event of getting a puncture. Is it really worth the risk to you or others for the cost of a set of tyres?....and they are much cheaper over there too...lol. I bet a new set would "feel" loads better too. You don't tend to notice the slow degradation of tyres...until you fit new ones. But hey...at the end of the day is your choice.

green69rt

Here's a nice little article on tire aging.  I don't agree with every little point but, overall, it gives a good explanation of the process.

https://www.liveabout.com/the-science-of-tire-aging-3234377

Kern Dog

Quote from: alfaitalia on August 19, 2019, 05:24:58 PM

Over here you would probably have void insurance for running such old tyres...for good reason. Even most major manufacturers recommend no more than 6 years....

Not trying to pick a fight with you but I noticed a few times that when you write about your country's laws or regulations, you justify them.
Many Americans remember why our ForeFathers left England...To escape oppression. For 190-210 years, we lived free and somewhat without too much Government over-reach. That has changed in the last 20 years or so...Many of us detest the nanny state that America is heading toward. I don't care for laws that try to put people in a plastic bubble where they can do no harm to themselves at any time.
To bend over for increased fines, heavy handed regulation and increased government control is a very sad thing.

alfaitalia

Ok...but a very poor example in this case. Old tyres are not safe ..period. As proven very well by the OP. So your "freedom" to use them potentially risks someone elses life....what about their rights. We introduce laws like that to protect the masses from the idoit few who wouldv run on ancient bald tyres without some sort of law. Unfortunately (when I was not looking) they banned common sense!....so theses laws come in. You seem to think your country is so different but they are not (your insane gun laws aside).sure we pay more tax...but we get more for it...if the majority did not like it we vote in a new government and get things changed....but in reality we are not so different. Even me and you....I vote to the right (Conservative...as most Southerners do).I'm just not as FAR to the right as you!

Kern Dog

Okay...........
Old tires: Sure, some of them have been know to fail but not enough to even be called a majority of them.
I already can hear your response to that... All it takes is ONE to cause what could be a fatal mistake!
Using old tires for relatively low speed, low stress driving is not likely to be any trouble....IF you do have a blowout and are a competent driver that isn't eating Chinese food with chopsticks while the tire blows out, you are likely to be fine. Driver skill Trumps accidents in most cases but too many people look to blame others for their own stupidity, the lawyers look to insulate their company's interests and this results in OVER-regulation.
I am not advocating going on a road course and turning laps at 125 mph on 12 year old tires that have been exposed to the weather since they were new.
I have seen NEW tires fail. I have seen OLD tires with cracks in the tread run and run without a failure. We all know that both of those tires are unusual examples but they do happen.
I just see society going bonkers in the name of "safety" or at least the illusion of safety. I hate it. I see bullshit safety regulations being implemented in the construction industry and all it does is slow us down and make the job harder to do...AND more expensive for everyone.
You have to know that while there is some truth to the risks, there is also an overwhelming amount of importance placed on avoiding LAWSUITS from any automotive accident that can be blamed on the equipment rather than the driver.
If you "Idiot Proof" a product, people just evolve into a different type of idiot and get hurt some other way.

alfaitalia

Good post. I absolutely agree. People will take more risks in their car with ABS, strong safety cell, air bags as they "know" that they are much safer than in old cars. Its human nature. I will admit that I take more risks in my cars than my bikes....where I pay a much higher price if I (or more often some one else!) makes a mistake....says the man with 4 titanium plates and 60 screws in his left arm!! I often wonder how much safer people would be and how much the accident rate would go down if say, instead of an airbag, a 12inch polished stainless steel spike came out of the steering wheel. I bet the idiots would think a little harder about driving safely then!...LOL.

b5blue

Boy you guys are on a roll here. Having a real blowout about flat making your point. Really stacking the variables to meet your position isn't needed. Replacing tires is my personal choice but then so is having top condition brakes. It is more about how when and where to spend money, the "skill" aspect is mute as there will always be someone so stupid as to overcome you and your car's ability and condition.  :lol:

Kern Dog

Glad we got this cleared up! That is not a MOOT point.
MUTE is a different thing altogether....

b5blue

Mute as in unheard or not observed. An older tire is in fact more prone to failure regardless of the drivers skill. Hence skill is mute in regards to tire age. I made no reference to the term "Moot Point" so you must have felt the urge to nit pic.  :nana:  Anyway I'm still replacing my 6 year old spare with a fresh new tire and you are welcome to the old one if you like!  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Trying to be friendly here...
Moot means unimportant, irrelevant. If a man leaves a building and it collapses, calling the Paramedics at that time would be a moot point.
Mute means unable to speak, total silence.
To say or write It is a mute point isn't correct.

b5blue

Right I never used the term "mute point". I used the word mute as in it's own silence of "not applicable" the topic. (Aged tire failure.)  Let's not argue minutia and go back to having fun.  :cheers: (Now I find myself commentating commenting!   :lol:)   

Kern Dog

This is what I have found. I don't see your definition here but am I missing it?
I always associated MUTE with a lack of speech, the inability to make sounds orally.....Or the button on the Tv remote that silences the audio. I am not seeing it the way that you see it.

mute adjective
\ ˈmyüt  \
muter; mutest
Definition of mute (Entry 1 of 4)
1 : unable to speak : lacking the power of speech
2 : characterized by absence of speech: such as
a : felt or experienced but not expressed
touched her hand in mute sympathy
her mute hostility
b : refusing to plead directly or stand trial
the prisoner stands mute
3 : remaining silent, undiscovered, or unrecognized
The hounds generally hunt mute, so they can get close to the game.
4a : contributing nothing to the pronunciation of a word
the b in plumb is mute
b : contributing to the pronunciation of a word but not representing the nucleus of a syllable
the e in mate is mute
mute noun
Definition of mute (Entry 2 of 4)
1 : STOP sense 9
2 sometimes offensive : a person who cannot speak
3 : a device attached to or inserted into a musical instrument to soften or alter its tone
mute verb (1)
muted; muting
Definition of mute (Entry 3 of 4)
transitive verb

1 : to muffle, reduce, or eliminate the sound of
2 : to tone down : SOFTEN, SUBDUE
mute a color
mute verb (2)
muted; muting

c00nhunterjoe

I speak from 1st hand experience as i worked for the us military in testing and development. I tested tires among other things.

MoparMotel

wow, just looked at mine and they are 2005. They are 95% tread  :brickwall:
1968 Dodge Charger

green69rt

Quote from: MoparMotel on August 21, 2019, 02:13:06 PM
wow, just looked at mine and they are 2005. They are 95% tread  :brickwall:

Safe, as long as you don't exceed 10 MPH. :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 21, 2019, 11:59:33 AM
i worked for the us military in testing and development. I tested tires among other things.

Ah, so you're familiar with 2-mercaptobenzothiazole? (always love to say that)  :icon_smile_big:

alfaitalia

Lol.....probably quite a difficult word to slip into everyday conversation! Like when I tried to slip the longest word in the English into a conversation with a customer for a bet at work. The word is floccinaucinihilipilification!...it means to assess something as worthless....much like this thread has become!

c00nhunterjoe

Ive done plenty more then vulcanize rubber. Got bored with little toys.

myk

That is a sad story.  Why will people drop tens of thousands on paint, body, electronics and proper interiors and then skimp on hoses and tires.  Buddy of mine has a beautiful '55 Crown Vic and one of them Lincoln 'Con four doors-a '64 I think, and he's rolling on the bias ply tires that came on the cars when he bought them more than twenty years ago.  Suffice to say that no one will take a ride with him, and he doesn't admit to a potential problem there.  Very sad...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ACUDANUT

What does "alfaitalia" mean ?
We have a lot in common.  :2thumbs: I love My British brothers, even though your country is smaller than the size of Texas. You will never understand our gun laws, living in such a small country. Having a gun in America here is like having a hammer in your tool box. It's there if you need it. Nothing more. Unfortunately we have mental cases here that should not own one.
Same as in your Country. Your country is full of immigrants who hate you. We are getting the same people here. I wish you could have the right to bear arms.
Cheers.

Kern Dog

Take a look at NON gun violence in countries with strict gun laws. That is IF the stats are a matter of public record. I think you'll find that there are far more incidents per 100,000 people of stabbings and beatings in Europe compared to here.
Back on the subject of tires though...

c00nhunterjoe

"Safe at slow speeds" when that tire 75 dollar tire shreds and takes out 5,000 dollars worth of 1/4 panel call me. I know a collector that has his cars stored in a climate controlled facility. Its pretty much a museum. Had 3 origonal 50 year old tires on different cars explode while sitting in the facility. The cars have not seen natural daylight or outside atmosphere in 30 years.

alfaitalia

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 21, 2019, 10:07:11 PM
What does "alfaitalia" mean ?
We have a lot in common.  :2thumbs: I love My British brothers, even though your country is smaller than the size of Texas. You will never understand our gun laws, living in such a small country. Having a gun in America here is like having a hammer in your tool box. It's there if you need it. Nothing more. Unfortunately we have mental cases here that should not own one.
Same as in your Country. Your country is full of immigrants who hate you. We are getting the same people here. I wish you could have the right to bear arms.
Cheers.

Lol....Where do you get this stuff....We have lots of immigrants (although getting less now we are leaving Europe...in 2018 more East Europeans (our main source of imigrants) left than arrived). They don't hate us....far from it. Look at the life they have now. The vast majority are good hard working people out for a better life. There are probably the same percentage of bad people in U.K. born folks. I don't know anyone here who wants to be able to have hand guns...We have rifles...hunting and shotguns for sport....along with stiff laws about who has them. We don't need hand guns....hell if the cops don't need them I certainly don't. Lol. Ask nearly any developed developed nation if they want guns and they use the US as the example of why you shouldn't. Asking an American if guns are good is liking asking an addict if crack is good. The answer is always yes. It's so ingrained in your culture (almost an addiction) that you don't know better and can't see the improvement that could possibly happen without them......not to mention the big business and massive amounts of cash made from them. Knife crime and in particular fatal knife crime in the UK is insignificant compared to your gun deaths.....but yes we do have too much knife crime at the moment....police are clamping down hard now on anyone even just carrying a knife. You would kind of expect a higher percentage of knife crime here than there....why would you risk a closeup stabbing when you can shoot someone from half a block away. Id still rather chance my luck with some carrying a knife than a gun though!! By and large even our bad guys don't have guns. I don't care if you have guns or not.....it's your country...run it as you want. We don't....and hopefully never will.

Yes the UK is tiny by comparison. Texas is in fact nearly 3 times the area of the UK! ...according to wiki! But we have about 66 million people compare to you with about 330 mil. So You country is 38 times the size of ours (3.8 million square miles compared to only 99000!!) But you only have 5 times the people. The overcrowding here is the main reason I believe that we should cap immigration...to much strain on housing, the heath service etc....not for any racist reason.

A little research I just did....no doubt you will argue about accuracy and source....but any way.

Despite our recent surge he most recent figures actually still show knife crime per ca-pita as higher in the US than here...but not by much. 3.26 fatal stabbing per million here...4.96 there. This does not include 2019 figures....where I expect the figures to be closer still.

Gun deaths per 100,000;

USA 12.21 (so thats around 40300 in total!!)...only Brazil is higher.

UK 0.23 (so thats around 152 in total) so if we were the same size as you we would expect 759 gun deaths.

Not trying to prove anything here....just quoting figures.....you decide!!

ALFAITALIA means nothing really. The first car forum I joined...back in the day! ....was the Alfa Owners Forum. I love Alfa and always have at least one. Who needs reliability and dependability when they look so pretty and drive that good! I have ALFAs and Im half Italian....hence alfaitalia! And no Im not an immigrant...lol.......born and bred here.....but my mum was. She came here with her mum in 1959. She was given the right to move here when her husband....my Grandfather (who was Maltese) was killed in a freak accident working for the RAF (Royal Air Force) in Alexandria, Egypt.....least they could do I guess!

I know none of this will go down well on a US forum....but there you go. At least you know how average Joe Brit thinks about it. I'll get my coat!

Mike DC

Alfalita, I gotta give you props for arguing with per-capita stats.  Comparing the USA to most other 1st-world countries with total figures is just taking cheap shots.

I would point out that a 1/3rd of our gun deaths are suicides.  Another major percentage of them fall under accidental, police shootings, self-defense killings, etc.  I think only about 1/3rd of them fall under 'murders'. 

alfaitalia

Ah. ...right...that makes it fine then!

AKcharger

Mike DC

QuoteAh. ...right...that makes it fine then!

How does gun access make people more suicidal?  And a person making a "cry for help" suicide attempt doesn't use a gun. 

Say what you want about the self-defense & accidental gun deaths.  But gun suicides get thrown in with the other gun deaths just to make the stats look worse.   

ACUDANUT

Antifa, "Yes the UK is tiny by comparison. Texas is in fact nearly 3 times the area of the UK! ...according to wiki! But we have about 66 million people compare to you with about 330 mil. So You country is 38 times the size of ours (3.8 million square miles compared to only 99000!!)"

I was being generous.  You people are climbing on top of each other. Asshole to Elbows crowded. When I was there, it reminded me of NYC. You can have it.

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 23, 2019, 12:59:23 PM
Antifa, "Yes the UK is tiny by comparison. Texas is in fact nearly 3 times the area of the UK! ...according to wiki! But we have about 66 million people compare to you with about 330 mil. So You country is 38 times the size of ours (3.8 million square miles compared to only 99000!!)"

I was being generous.  You people are climbing on top of each other. Asshole to Elbows crowded. When I was there, it reminded me of NYC. You can have it.

Antifa.....Is that an insult or an "Autocorrect" ???

alfaitalia

I was being generous.  You people are climbing on top of each other. Asshole to Elbows crowded. When I was there, it reminded me of NYC. You can have it.

Does not seem crowded when you live here....most of the population live in densely populated areas like London (8.5 million there alone)...so there are lots of country areas where hardly anyone lives....like where I live in west Sussex!

EDITED.....Spelling.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 23, 2019, 01:15:22 PM

I was being generous.  You people are climbing on top of each other. Asshole to Elbows crowded. When I was there, it reminded me of NYC. You can have it.

Auto correct, but he did never told us what his name means. :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: alfaitalia on August 23, 2019, 01:18:49 PM

Does not seem crowed when you live here....most of the population live in densely populated areas like London (8.5 million there alone)...so there are lots of country areas where hardly anyone lives....like where I live in west Sussex!

What does "crowed" mean ? Please forgive my English.

timmycharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 23, 2019, 02:06:10 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on August 23, 2019, 01:15:22 PM

Auto correct, but he did never told us what his name means. :Twocents:

Edit:  removed obnoxious reply.. :D

ALFAITALIA means nothing really. The first car forum I joined...back in the day! ....was the Alfa Owners Forum. I love Alfa and always have at least one. Who needs reliability and dependability when they look so pretty and drive that good! I have ALFAs and Im half Italian....hence alfaitalia! And no Im not an immigrant...lol.......born and bred here.....but my mum was. She came here with her mum in 1959. She was given the right to move here when her husband....my Grandfather (who was Maltese) was killed in a freak accident working for the RAF (Royal Air Force) in Alexandria, Egypt.....least they could do I guess!

taxspeaker

Hey guys-this is a thread about using old tires not for arguing with old farts ;) ;)

John_Kunkel

Some people just can't resist interjecting politics.  ::)

Kern Dog

Sorry, I'll admit that I lose my tact sometimes.   :brickwall:
Carry on.

birdsandbees

Guess we'll see how my Goodyears do at Atlanta !  Why I pay Hagarty the big bucks...  :lol:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Kern Dog

I have to wonder though...
I have had tires blow out at freeway speeds and NEVER lost control. I have almost a 50/50 ratio of tires being replaced under road hazard warranty versus worn out and replaced. My 2007 Ram 1500 does have low profile tires....305-40-22.  The truck never sways or swerves either.
I've lost tires in cars with regular height sidewalls and never spun out or lost control.
How is it that people are dying or wrecking their cars? Are they shitty drivers?
I have lost strips of tread...Here some call them "Road 'Gators" and I just pull over and change the tire.
In every aspect of everything, there is an element of risk and occasionally there is an insurance company pushing a set of rules to reduce risk.
Wear condoms to reduce the risk of disease.
Wear seatbelts to reduce the risk of injury in a collision.
Wear eye protection when working with tools to reduce risk of an eye injury.
I have known guys that shun almost every safety warning and they are fine. Call it luck, call it being a stubborn man.
I am not one to embrace safety protocols either. I've worked in Construction since the late 80s and I have seen the Safety reps try to convince us that we are always a step away from serious injury or death.  :smilielol: I have worked on roofs without harnesses since 1989 and have never been seriously hurt. I have pinned my saw guard and have never been cut.
A buddy of mine took a new ladder at work and took all the safety stickers off to paint the ladder the company color. A Safety guy came over a few days later and told him the ladder wasn't to be used on the job.
Why?
It had no safety warnings on it. Yeah....The 15 year old, wobbly ladder with loose rivets and age cracked fiberglass is fine though because the faded stickers are still hanging on.

Todd Wilson

I have had a few tire situations over the years. Once on a Charger Weekend in El Dorado Kansas I was driving to it and kept hearing something occasionally hitting the bottom of the car. Thought that was odd as I was on clean highway pavement.  Car drove fine. Later that day at slow speeds as we were leaving the front end would shimmy side to side a little.   I started checking and noticed pieces of tread had come off the middle of the tire on the front. That was what I was hearing on the drive over.  Also had a blow out one time in Boerne Texas at that show. I think they were caused form old tires and the failed spot was from where the tire was sitting on the same area/spot sitting in the garage. The tires in question looked brand new but were many many years old.

They say radial tires have an expiration date and you can buy a brand new tire and take it home and put it in your closet and it can go bad over time sitting there. They say the old bias ply tires were not this way and would hold up over time a lot better.

Todd

taxspeaker

Interesting timing here on 2 events.

Friday I was driving my new (used) ramp truck back from Benton KY where I had an axle snap and lo and behold I had a blowout on the outer passenger side dually tire. I limped to a tire store 30 miles away at 30mph on the remaining tire and found 10-14 year old rear tires from 4 different manufacturers! Needless to say it now has 4 new tires on it.

Then last night I was pulling my 18 month old BF Goodrich wheels and tires off the Alaska SUperbird and putting the reman polyester tires on to get ready for a show, and 1 of the brand new (<1500 miles) BF Goodrich's has a bulge on the side where the sidewall is failing. I found the warranty and it looks like I'm out of luck and need "1" new tire.

My summary-I am now paying a whole lot more attention to tires now than at any point in my life!

odcics2

I have some NOS bias ply Nascar tires, 8.00-8.20-15 size. 
I wouldn't attempt 200 on them, but they look like new, inside and out. 

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?