News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Death on an old tire with good tread

Started by taxspeaker, August 11, 2019, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfaitalia

Lol.....probably quite a difficult word to slip into everyday conversation! Like when I tried to slip the longest word in the English into a conversation with a customer for a bet at work. The word is floccinaucinihilipilification!...it means to assess something as worthless....much like this thread has become!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

c00nhunterjoe

Ive done plenty more then vulcanize rubber. Got bored with little toys.

myk

That is a sad story.  Why will people drop tens of thousands on paint, body, electronics and proper interiors and then skimp on hoses and tires.  Buddy of mine has a beautiful '55 Crown Vic and one of them Lincoln 'Con four doors-a '64 I think, and he's rolling on the bias ply tires that came on the cars when he bought them more than twenty years ago.  Suffice to say that no one will take a ride with him, and he doesn't admit to a potential problem there.  Very sad...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ACUDANUT

What does "alfaitalia" mean ?
We have a lot in common.  :2thumbs: I love My British brothers, even though your country is smaller than the size of Texas. You will never understand our gun laws, living in such a small country. Having a gun in America here is like having a hammer in your tool box. It's there if you need it. Nothing more. Unfortunately we have mental cases here that should not own one.
Same as in your Country. Your country is full of immigrants who hate you. We are getting the same people here. I wish you could have the right to bear arms.
Cheers.

Kern Dog

Take a look at NON gun violence in countries with strict gun laws. That is IF the stats are a matter of public record. I think you'll find that there are far more incidents per 100,000 people of stabbings and beatings in Europe compared to here.
Back on the subject of tires though...

c00nhunterjoe

"Safe at slow speeds" when that tire 75 dollar tire shreds and takes out 5,000 dollars worth of 1/4 panel call me. I know a collector that has his cars stored in a climate controlled facility. Its pretty much a museum. Had 3 origonal 50 year old tires on different cars explode while sitting in the facility. The cars have not seen natural daylight or outside atmosphere in 30 years.

alfaitalia

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 21, 2019, 10:07:11 PM
What does "alfaitalia" mean ?
We have a lot in common.  :2thumbs: I love My British brothers, even though your country is smaller than the size of Texas. You will never understand our gun laws, living in such a small country. Having a gun in America here is like having a hammer in your tool box. It's there if you need it. Nothing more. Unfortunately we have mental cases here that should not own one.
Same as in your Country. Your country is full of immigrants who hate you. We are getting the same people here. I wish you could have the right to bear arms.
Cheers.

Lol....Where do you get this stuff....We have lots of immigrants (although getting less now we are leaving Europe...in 2018 more East Europeans (our main source of imigrants) left than arrived). They don't hate us....far from it. Look at the life they have now. The vast majority are good hard working people out for a better life. There are probably the same percentage of bad people in U.K. born folks. I don't know anyone here who wants to be able to have hand guns...We have rifles...hunting and shotguns for sport....along with stiff laws about who has them. We don't need hand guns....hell if the cops don't need them I certainly don't. Lol. Ask nearly any developed developed nation if they want guns and they use the US as the example of why you shouldn't. Asking an American if guns are good is liking asking an addict if crack is good. The answer is always yes. It's so ingrained in your culture (almost an addiction) that you don't know better and can't see the improvement that could possibly happen without them......not to mention the big business and massive amounts of cash made from them. Knife crime and in particular fatal knife crime in the UK is insignificant compared to your gun deaths.....but yes we do have too much knife crime at the moment....police are clamping down hard now on anyone even just carrying a knife. You would kind of expect a higher percentage of knife crime here than there....why would you risk a closeup stabbing when you can shoot someone from half a block away. Id still rather chance my luck with some carrying a knife than a gun though!! By and large even our bad guys don't have guns. I don't care if you have guns or not.....it's your country...run it as you want. We don't....and hopefully never will.

Yes the UK is tiny by comparison. Texas is in fact nearly 3 times the area of the UK! ...according to wiki! But we have about 66 million people compare to you with about 330 mil. So You country is 38 times the size of ours (3.8 million square miles compared to only 99000!!) But you only have 5 times the people. The overcrowding here is the main reason I believe that we should cap immigration...to much strain on housing, the heath service etc....not for any racist reason.

A little research I just did....no doubt you will argue about accuracy and source....but any way.

Despite our recent surge he most recent figures actually still show knife crime per ca-pita as higher in the US than here...but not by much. 3.26 fatal stabbing per million here...4.96 there. This does not include 2019 figures....where I expect the figures to be closer still.

Gun deaths per 100,000;

USA 12.21 (so thats around 40300 in total!!)...only Brazil is higher.

UK 0.23 (so thats around 152 in total) so if we were the same size as you we would expect 759 gun deaths.

Not trying to prove anything here....just quoting figures.....you decide!!

ALFAITALIA means nothing really. The first car forum I joined...back in the day! ....was the Alfa Owners Forum. I love Alfa and always have at least one. Who needs reliability and dependability when they look so pretty and drive that good! I have ALFAs and Im half Italian....hence alfaitalia! And no Im not an immigrant...lol.......born and bred here.....but my mum was. She came here with her mum in 1959. She was given the right to move here when her husband....my Grandfather (who was Maltese) was killed in a freak accident working for the RAF (Royal Air Force) in Alexandria, Egypt.....least they could do I guess!

I know none of this will go down well on a US forum....but there you go. At least you know how average Joe Brit thinks about it. I'll get my coat!

Mike DC

Alfalita, I gotta give you props for arguing with per-capita stats.  Comparing the USA to most other 1st-world countries with total figures is just taking cheap shots.

I would point out that a 1/3rd of our gun deaths are suicides.  Another major percentage of them fall under accidental, police shootings, self-defense killings, etc.  I think only about 1/3rd of them fall under 'murders'. 

alfaitalia

Ah. ...right...that makes it fine then!

AKcharger

Mike DC

QuoteAh. ...right...that makes it fine then!

How does gun access make people more suicidal?  And a person making a "cry for help" suicide attempt doesn't use a gun. 

Say what you want about the self-defense & accidental gun deaths.  But gun suicides get thrown in with the other gun deaths just to make the stats look worse.   

ACUDANUT

Antifa, "Yes the UK is tiny by comparison. Texas is in fact nearly 3 times the area of the UK! ...according to wiki! But we have about 66 million people compare to you with about 330 mil. So You country is 38 times the size of ours (3.8 million square miles compared to only 99000!!)"

I was being generous.  You people are climbing on top of each other. Asshole to Elbows crowded. When I was there, it reminded me of NYC. You can have it.

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 23, 2019, 12:59:23 PM
Antifa, "Yes the UK is tiny by comparison. Texas is in fact nearly 3 times the area of the UK! ...according to wiki! But we have about 66 million people compare to you with about 330 mil. So You country is 38 times the size of ours (3.8 million square miles compared to only 99000!!)"

I was being generous.  You people are climbing on top of each other. Asshole to Elbows crowded. When I was there, it reminded me of NYC. You can have it.

Antifa.....Is that an insult or an "Autocorrect" ???

alfaitalia

I was being generous.  You people are climbing on top of each other. Asshole to Elbows crowded. When I was there, it reminded me of NYC. You can have it.

Does not seem crowded when you live here....most of the population live in densely populated areas like London (8.5 million there alone)...so there are lots of country areas where hardly anyone lives....like where I live in west Sussex!

EDITED.....Spelling.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 23, 2019, 01:15:22 PM

I was being generous.  You people are climbing on top of each other. Asshole to Elbows crowded. When I was there, it reminded me of NYC. You can have it.

Auto correct, but he did never told us what his name means. :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: alfaitalia on August 23, 2019, 01:18:49 PM

Does not seem crowed when you live here....most of the population live in densely populated areas like London (8.5 million there alone)...so there are lots of country areas where hardly anyone lives....like where I live in west Sussex!

What does "crowed" mean ? Please forgive my English.

timmycharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 23, 2019, 02:06:10 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on August 23, 2019, 01:15:22 PM

Auto correct, but he did never told us what his name means. :Twocents:

Edit:  removed obnoxious reply.. :D

ALFAITALIA means nothing really. The first car forum I joined...back in the day! ....was the Alfa Owners Forum. I love Alfa and always have at least one. Who needs reliability and dependability when they look so pretty and drive that good! I have ALFAs and Im half Italian....hence alfaitalia! And no Im not an immigrant...lol.......born and bred here.....but my mum was. She came here with her mum in 1959. She was given the right to move here when her husband....my Grandfather (who was Maltese) was killed in a freak accident working for the RAF (Royal Air Force) in Alexandria, Egypt.....least they could do I guess!

taxspeaker

Hey guys-this is a thread about using old tires not for arguing with old farts ;) ;)

John_Kunkel

Some people just can't resist interjecting politics.  ::)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

Sorry, I'll admit that I lose my tact sometimes.   :brickwall:
Carry on.

birdsandbees

Guess we'll see how my Goodyears do at Atlanta !  Why I pay Hagarty the big bucks...  :lol:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Kern Dog

I have to wonder though...
I have had tires blow out at freeway speeds and NEVER lost control. I have almost a 50/50 ratio of tires being replaced under road hazard warranty versus worn out and replaced. My 2007 Ram 1500 does have low profile tires....305-40-22.  The truck never sways or swerves either.
I've lost tires in cars with regular height sidewalls and never spun out or lost control.
How is it that people are dying or wrecking their cars? Are they shitty drivers?
I have lost strips of tread...Here some call them "Road 'Gators" and I just pull over and change the tire.
In every aspect of everything, there is an element of risk and occasionally there is an insurance company pushing a set of rules to reduce risk.
Wear condoms to reduce the risk of disease.
Wear seatbelts to reduce the risk of injury in a collision.
Wear eye protection when working with tools to reduce risk of an eye injury.
I have known guys that shun almost every safety warning and they are fine. Call it luck, call it being a stubborn man.
I am not one to embrace safety protocols either. I've worked in Construction since the late 80s and I have seen the Safety reps try to convince us that we are always a step away from serious injury or death.  :smilielol: I have worked on roofs without harnesses since 1989 and have never been seriously hurt. I have pinned my saw guard and have never been cut.
A buddy of mine took a new ladder at work and took all the safety stickers off to paint the ladder the company color. A Safety guy came over a few days later and told him the ladder wasn't to be used on the job.
Why?
It had no safety warnings on it. Yeah....The 15 year old, wobbly ladder with loose rivets and age cracked fiberglass is fine though because the faded stickers are still hanging on.

Todd Wilson

I have had a few tire situations over the years. Once on a Charger Weekend in El Dorado Kansas I was driving to it and kept hearing something occasionally hitting the bottom of the car. Thought that was odd as I was on clean highway pavement.  Car drove fine. Later that day at slow speeds as we were leaving the front end would shimmy side to side a little.   I started checking and noticed pieces of tread had come off the middle of the tire on the front. That was what I was hearing on the drive over.  Also had a blow out one time in Boerne Texas at that show. I think they were caused form old tires and the failed spot was from where the tire was sitting on the same area/spot sitting in the garage. The tires in question looked brand new but were many many years old.

They say radial tires have an expiration date and you can buy a brand new tire and take it home and put it in your closet and it can go bad over time sitting there. They say the old bias ply tires were not this way and would hold up over time a lot better.

Todd

taxspeaker

Interesting timing here on 2 events.

Friday I was driving my new (used) ramp truck back from Benton KY where I had an axle snap and lo and behold I had a blowout on the outer passenger side dually tire. I limped to a tire store 30 miles away at 30mph on the remaining tire and found 10-14 year old rear tires from 4 different manufacturers! Needless to say it now has 4 new tires on it.

Then last night I was pulling my 18 month old BF Goodrich wheels and tires off the Alaska SUperbird and putting the reman polyester tires on to get ready for a show, and 1 of the brand new (<1500 miles) BF Goodrich's has a bulge on the side where the sidewall is failing. I found the warranty and it looks like I'm out of luck and need "1" new tire.

My summary-I am now paying a whole lot more attention to tires now than at any point in my life!

odcics2

I have some NOS bias ply Nascar tires, 8.00-8.20-15 size. 
I wouldn't attempt 200 on them, but they look like new, inside and out. 

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?