News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vacuum pump location

Started by will, August 11, 2019, 02:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will

I have an electric vacuum pump I would like to locate in the trunk and run the hose to the booster. I'm doing this because I don't have enough room to put it anywhere else. My question is do you think I would have any loss of vacuum over this distance? I would run tubing underneath the car or I would run it in the wire trough on the drivers side. I barely have enough vacuum now and it will drop considerably once the new engine goes in.

Gold Rush

Unless you develop a leak in that line I would think there would be zero vacuum loss.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

c00nhunterjoe

I would not run the pump direct to the booster. Pump to resevoir to booster.

will

Thanks for the replies. Why would running to the booster directly be a problem? The kit does come with a cutoff switch, I would think 22"hg isn't overly excessive. Should I make a receiver for the pump prior to the booster, say roughly a one quart can size similar to the can hiding under the battery? Or is this an accumulator to prevent pump pulsing?

c00nhunterjoe

A direct feed would be no different then hooked to the engine. Enough vaccum on hand for 1 application then hard pedal. Need the resevoir for volume. Stock coffee can size is more then enough barring your pump has power to refill on demand.

histoy

I hid my vacuum reservoir under the driver's front fender just ahead of the door.  It's easy to route the hoses from the engine and to the booster from down in the corner under the hood hinge.  I found that if the engine has at least 11 inches of vacuum at idle, the reservoir will work fine and no vacuum pump is needed.

8WHEELER

My vacuum pump fits perfect up front, don't need a can either, the pump shuts off at about 20lbs. I have had the pump in this spot for 18 years, works perfect, never runs out of vacuum. The new pumps are not this size anymore.
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

nvrbdn

I had mine mounted up front also, but the vibration and noise was a bit aggravating. so I was getting ready for a show and thought of suspending it unattached to metal. This idea made it so quiet that I will use some type of adaption. Quiet and no vibration in the steering wheel.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Kern Dog

When I had one, mine was mounted in the LF wheelwell behind the headlights.