News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SuperBird "Plymouth" Decal placement questions.

Started by chaaargerb, August 13, 2019, 09:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaaargerb

Felt kinda brave this morning and grabbed one of the Plymouth Decals for the quarter and started to line it up. I'm following the cheat sheet I got from a DSAC newsletter years ago. I'm working on the drivers side first because I figured the lower part of the "Y" could be verified with the lower body line of the quarter and could give me a good starting point. I've looked at a lot of pictures of birds and it appears there's no rhyme or reason as to putting these decals on.  The cheat sheet says to use the dimensions off the rear side marker and make the decal level from there. When I look at the pictures of some of the birds that look to be correct it looks to me that the decal is level but the body is raked up in the back. What I was going to do was have the car on the ground and get the rockers level front to back than put the decals on Or do I put the car on the ground with it's natural stance and make the decals level that way.  
I know you guys have talk about before. If anyone has any links that would be great.
My Gustamate on the lower part of the Y is between 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inch above the lower body line.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Impkidd

As an armchair Superbird enthusiast, I am hopeful to lay down some decals someday on one of my own. Take a string and masking tape one end to the quarter panel extension below the taillight, and bring it around along the whole quarter panel to at least the scoop taping it down. Make the string level and in line with your side marker top. That will set the pace for your straight appearance as you will see. Then go by your measurements in your instructions. Don't be concerned with your cars ride height. Then it will be "straight as a string".

Talkiemoparjr

Quote from: nascarxx29 on August 13, 2019, 12:29:47 PM
Look at survivor car picts no two exact

The white decal car is Dads ( the original TakieMopar) original paint original decal car at the Elkhart Lake meet a couple years ago. Compare that one to the other two restored cars and the newsletters dimensions.

chaaargerb

Okay. So I got the Plymouth quarter decals on. After looking at as many pics as I could find it seams the placement is all over the place. What I decided to do was check all my hights. I made sure the wheel well height side to side was the same. I checked the rockers and was surprised they were pretty level with no rake.  Now that I'm happy with the cars stance I did the string thing from the back of the car and ran it over the side marker to wheel well. I checked it with a level and it was good. I used the spec sheet as my starting point and taped the decals to the side of the car using the string as a guide. Overall I'm happy with the placement of the decals. If I ever have to put on another set I would probably move the passenger side decal about 3/4 of an inch closer to the back of the car. If I did that both decals would be the same distance from the back of the car. Thanks again for the tips! :2thumbs:

Talkiemoparjr

Impkidd

Stand back and take a look... An excellent job on an excellent car! :thumbs:

Impkidd

Just curious, is there anything on the data plate or broadcast sheet about which color "Plymouth" decals were original to the car? I personally like the white.

Talkiemoparjr

Each color car was supposed to have specific color decals.  I know the green cars were to get black.  That said my father's green Bird (In my avatar) has white decals (original owner and paint) and the cars one serial number before and after, both green, had white decals.
I know someone has the oficial list of color to decals on this forum. :yesnod:

chaaargerb

Talkiemoparjr is correct. There is a list from chrysler that said what color decals the cars were supposed to have. My car was supposed to have black decals but it ended up with white decals. I have pictures of the car from the first couple of owners and the car always had white decals. When you start looking at the K2 (orange) color cars it's about a 50/50 split on the color of the decals.