News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed bell housing help

Started by Dinobach, August 13, 2019, 04:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobach

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody could give me some advice about the bellhousing that was with my car when I bought it.

The car was originally an auto and I bought it in bits with a 4 speed, pedals and a bare 440.  I have no idea what the bellhousing could be off but the issue I think I've going to have is where the Z-bar will mount on it.

All the setups I've seen have a bracket above the starter but this one hasn't.  It also has a badly cut extra hole on the side which baffles me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and might stop me selling the sodding thing  :icon_smile_big:

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

metallicareload99

Looks like a Lakewood bellhousing that someone cut another hole in, maybe to adjust the clutch?  Is that main case on the transmission aluminum? Appears to be a non overdrive gear set in there.  What are your plans with the car?  Depending on what you wanna do and your fabrication skills this particular bell housing might be problematic.  The extra hole could give you problems if you want to race it and how fast you want to go.  One could add the missing Z-bar/torque shaft bracket but I bet it would be a bit of work.  Otherwise run some type of hydraulic release bearing?  Welcome!
:drive:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

alfaitalia

Looking as a few clues in your garage and your use of the word "sodding"!.... Im guessing you are in the UK....where are you roughly and got any pics of your car?

EDIT....just seen your email address ...so you are in the UK!

....and congrats on being able to post pics directly....ive been here 4 years ( and many others far longer!)and still have to use a photo host as I STILL cant get it to work!!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Dinobach

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 13, 2019, 05:53:04 PM
Looks like the same parts I am trying to sort out  :yesnod:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,135832.0.html

They do look similar but the bracket you have for the Z bar to attach to isn't on mine.  That's the problem I have.  :-\

Dinobach

Quote from: metallicareload99 on August 14, 2019, 02:58:14 AM
Looks like a Lakewood bellhousing that someone cut another hole in, maybe to adjust the clutch?  Is that main case on the transmission aluminum? Appears to be a non overdrive gear set in there.  What are your plans with the car?  Depending on what you wanna do and your fabrication skills this particular bell housing might be problematic.  The extra hole could give you problems if you want to race it and how fast you want to go.  One could add the missing Z-bar/torque shaft bracket but I bet it would be a bit of work.  Otherwise run some type of hydraulic release bearing?  Welcome!
:drive:

Thanks Metallica  :punkrocka:
My fabrication skills = zero!  So this could be a big issue.  I don't intend to race the car hard (if I ever get it finished) but it's got a fuel injected 512 which I hope to thrash around one day.

I believe the main case to be aluminium but no idea about the gear set, how could you tell they are "non overdrive"? 

Cheers,

Dean.

c00nhunterjoe

Looks like a lakewood that was modified to run a cable or hydraulic setup. Worthless unless you do the same or worse, dont have the motor plate that goes with it.

70 sublime

If you look at my thread and the transmission that is pictured in the back of a half ton truck
Look at the gear shifter parts that come out of the side of the transmission
The little levers that the shifter rods connect to
My front lever hangs down and the others hang up
Yours all hang up
When they made the over drive set up they just left fourth gear in the case alone as it was direct drive and made gear number 3 into the over drive gear so they just flipped this small lever over so shifting into 3rd and fourth just got reversed inside the transmission if that makes sense to you

So yours looks like it is just plain 4 speed without over drive by looking at the levers
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dinobach

Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful.  Just wish I'd asked a couple of years ago when I had my reservations.

I bought the car many years ago and it's always been on the back burner.....marriage, kids, houses, jobs, meant the car was down the pecking order so before we moved we fitted the motor and trans then put the Charger into storage.
Now things have settled down I'm able to start looking at the car again.  My serious lack of knowledge and being based in the UK is not helping.    :brickwall:

Dinobach

Quote from: alfaitalia on August 14, 2019, 09:05:25 AM
Looking as a few clues in your garage and your use of the word "sodding"!.... Im guessing you are in the UK....where are you roughly and got any pics of your car?

EDIT....just seen your email address ...so you are in the UK!

....and congrats on being able to post pics directly....ive been here 4 years ( and many others far longer!)and still have to use a photo host as I STILL cant get it to work!!!

Thanks Alfa,

I am in the UK, Cardiff to be exact.  :icon_smile_big:  Had the car a long time, bought it in bits and over the years have accumulated most of the parts to finish it (I think) just need the knowledge and time now.

There's a thread about resizing pics on here, sends you to a link to download a small program.  It only takes a few seconds.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,80380.0.html

Here's a pic of mine anyway. 

alfaitalia

Cool...not a million miles away as I'm in the South Coast .....was up that way recently.....might see you around when mines rolling. Coincidently I'm also Dean! Good luck with your transmission.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!