News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct parking brake cables for 10 inch drums on a ‘69...

Started by UH60L, August 14, 2019, 12:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

So I found that my right parking brake cable was damaged and causing the brake to be applied constantly.

My wife works at Oreillys and I got a new cable with her discount fur $20.00.

Got it all taken apart and the old cable removed, then installed the new cable into the brake and tried to reassemble the brake, but the part of the cable that goes inside the drum assembly is 1 to 1.5 inches too long.

My car was originally a 318 car, and has the 10 inch drums.

No matter what motor / model you put in, Oreilly's swears it's the right cable.

Anyone have a part number or a source to buy the correct cable?

John_Kunkel

Are you saying the cable housing is too long or the cable core is too long? If it's the cable core because the spring extends it too far, just install it and pull the front of the core out of the housing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

UH60L

No, I'm saying with the cable housing snapped/locked into the brake housing, there is too much cable and spring inside the brake to physically reassemble the brake.

When you pull the slack cable out to the front, the new cable has 1 to 1.5 inches more spring and cable on the brake end of the cable assembly.

Here is a picture.  The black cable is the original.

P.S.: Sorry, I posted this in the wrong section, I was really tired from work when I posted it...

70 sublime

When you have the two cables side by side like that and the new one is longer are the other ends the same length or is the new one that much shorter ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

UH60L

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 15, 2019, 05:12:22 AM
When you have the two cables side by side like that and the new one is longer are the other ends the same length or is the new one that much shorter ??

Well now I feel like an idiot.

I pulled out a tape measure and actually measured it.  The new one has 2.25 inches more cable inside the brake...

But it's also 2.25 inches shorterat the other end...

So I guess I just need to remove some of the spring...

Thanks for getting me back on track.  I started a new job working 12 hour overnight shifts recently and I guess I was way more tired than I thought.

70 sublime

The spring part on the new cable is probably fine also
The old one has been compressed long enough time it is just not bouncing out all the way
Just put the new part all together in the brake drum and take a pair of vise grips and pull the cable out towards the front of the car and lock them on till you get the other end together
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John_Kunkel

I believe what's happening is that the aftermarket cables are purposely made with the longer spring to reach the 11" brake lever and it's expected that the installer to pull the cable core to the shorter distance to reach the 10" lever.

The last two times I used aftermarket cables was with 11" brakes and the cable fit was perfect.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.