News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rim restoration / painting

Started by 1970Charger500, August 14, 2019, 06:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Charger500

Can anyone give some advice on how to fix minor curb rash on this rim?  I'd like to fix it best I can and then repaint but I'm not sure where to start on the rash.

Thanks!

Here's a larger image..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kex6xd2q405vkd/vector.jpg

c00nhunterjoe

I sand lightly and feather until its smooth. Those are cast aluminum, not really weldable.

AKcharger

1) dismount tire
2) File deep gouges/scrapes smooth
3) start with 80 grit sand paper and go 120, 220, 400 800
4) polish with a lil  ball on a drill with polishing compound
5) remount balance tire will look like new

F8-4life

Seen your post on my other thread regarding the 15x10s, I have not redone those yet but I did complete a home/amature type restoration on my set of 15x8.5 vectors. I did it all by hand with no air tools it will take some time if done this way but you will have very little to no $$ into the resto at all..
The results are not perfect but am happy with them and when mounted on a car they will absolutely look great.
On that curb rash you have.. a small air 90 degree sander/grinder would be the way to go but you could use a file or block sand them out as well.
Take out the high spots first and if your brave enough you could try to feather in the low spots..
Anyway I started my wheels by sanding out the insert areas which were painted, using 100 grit down to metal.
The aluminum lips I sanded by hand as well but with a small block, started with 180, then 320, and then after that wet sanded with 600 and finally 800 all the while keep with the grain. Some guys go even further like up to 1500 or 2k or using laths and other equipment but my wheels will be going on a driver anyway so 800 I felt was adequate.
Then Fine lined off the lip surfaces, and then 3x primer and 3x top coat using aroasol cans.  I used sem trim black for the top coat.
Hope this helps. 

F8-4life

F8-4life

1970Charger500

reply  notifications went to spam..

thanks for all the tips, I think I will give it a shot