News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger Front Fender Splash Shields

Started by tcurtis, August 16, 2019, 01:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcurtis

I'm looking to see if anyone knows of an assembly manual that details the proper parts and placement for the front fender splash guards.  My '69 Charger was missing these pieces when I purchased it.  I only thought it was missing the piece that essentially covers the gap between the front wheel well and the door.  After acquiring that piece I realized that there must be other pieces that are also missing.  On my car the entire inner fender appears to be open to the elements. In addition to the "fender rear splash shields" that Classic Industries lists, I see they also carry "inner fender splash shields" and a "front splash plate" as well as a "k member lower splash shield".  I'm wondering if these pieces bolt together within the fender to form the protective wheel well or if I'm missing something else altogether.

I'm hoping my description is sufficiently understandable.  I did purchase the only assembly manual I could find, but it is extremely limited in information and has nothing regarding sheet metal assembly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

b5blue

Pics always help. You can get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) digital and paper that will blow your mind with details and spec. for not much money. I've a 70 so a bit different but similar. Metal plates holes for upper control arm (adjustment) fronts with rubber flaps rear, metal strip with rubber flap attached at rear of wheel well and similarly for front, plastic splash shields attach to bottom of K frame extending down. Others will chime in I buy all such rubber weather related from Detroit Muscle Cars directly.

green69rt

Just to add a little.  Yes, the inside of the front fender of a 69  (don't know about other but probably same) are open to the world.  You can take a hammer and hit the inside and you'll have a big dent on the outside.  This is one reason to apply undercoating to the insides of the fender, provides some protection from the tires slinging gravel.

There are splash shields at the back and front.

Pic #1 - At the back are the shields that cover the door hinge areas.
Pic #2 - at the front there are two shields on each fender.  One to block off the hole behind the headlights. It has a gasket for sealing.
            Sorry that I don't have a pic of the other shield but it hangs down from the same front fender brace as the other shield.  I think you called it the k-member splash shield.

Then there are others that are attached to the inner fender that are removed to access the wheel alignment cams.

Pic #3 shows what the whole fender looks like, upside down.

tcurtis

Thanks much, that's very helpful.  Does the fender have to be off the car to install the shields?

green69rt

Quote from: tcurtis on August 16, 2019, 10:14:57 PM
Thanks much, that's very helpful.  Does the fender have to be off the car to install the shields?

No, just take the tire/wheel off.  The rear shield was the hardest for me because of the rubber gaskets that go around it.  Front ones were straight forward.