News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 oil passage to lifters

Started by rsw0331usmc, August 16, 2019, 08:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsw0331usmc

Next issue... I thought I may have a collapsed lifter. After hearing some chatter, I pulled the valve cover and found one rocker with a lot of clearance. I readjusted to zero tolerance and preloaded 180 degrees. Now I can push the rod down in to the lifter and the spring within the lifter will keep it up. I am wondering why it is not full of oil, thereby making it stiff and impossible to push down. Should I look for a clogged oil passage? Where do the lifters receive their oil supply?

c00nhunterjoe

You can prime the motor with a drill and look for oil in the lifter galleys. I seriously doubt its clogged. Probably a bad lifter and or wiped cam lobe. Why did 1 rocker have so much play? Was the adjuster loose when you checked it? Where did that play come from?

rsw0331usmc

Well, I found the issue to be a wiped lobe and lifter. How it got trashed is another mystery. I'll have to do my best to ensure I have adequate oil flow before putting everything back together. The cam and lifters were Edelbrock 7194. I have a Comp Cams 21-223-4 that I have installed. Comp lifters will be here today. Both are close in lift and duration.

rsw0331usmc

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 17, 2019, 02:11:15 PM
You can prime the motor with a drill and look for oil in the lifter galleys. I seriously doubt its clogged. Probably a bad lifter and or wiped cam lobe. Why did 1 rocker have so much play? Was the adjuster loose when you checked it? Where did that play come from?

The rocker had so much play due to the damage to both the lobe and lifter. The adjuster was not loose.

c00nhunterjoe

Sometimes i hate being right.

What valve springs are on it. Did you check the pressures. What breakin method did you use. What oil are you running.