News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Testing new pusher fan.

Started by b5blue, August 16, 2019, 08:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

After adding A/C to my 70 Charger I had to pitch the trusty huge flex fan that kept my 440 running cool in 90-110 temps here in Florida. After a bunch of experimentation with aftermarket engine driven and electric fans I finally found the factory "fixed" fan and stock shroud kept things okay and cleared all the aftermarket A/C under normal conditions. However getting stuck in insane Tampa Bay traffic jam ups in above 95 degrees had temps creeping into overload. An aged radiator cap seal only added to the problem and I barely made it to a hose for cool down.
  On the hunt for a fix I bought a "Flex-A-Lite Wave" 14 inch fan. (Part #234) It was the biggest fan that clears all the crap in front of A/C condenser. Placement mostly to the passenger's side avoids unseen an bracket on the latch tray. If you grind a bit off the sides of 1/4-20 bolts they slide into slots on the fan. (Pic 1) Use 2 nuts on each bolt to lower fan for clearance. (Pic 2) 2 holes drilled in latch tray let you hang the fan and support the weight/torque. (Pic3) Installed I found I still had to shim my tray out (The thickness of a 1/4-20 nut.) and secured the bottom to the condenser itself with Hayden's Nylon Mounting Rods. (Part #226201) (Pic 4)
  As the fan is used pusher RED is ground and BLACK is 12V +.

b5blue

Sorry for the fuzzy pics I've used my old low res camera while figuring this out. Tested today this fan really will push some air, temps at idle @ dead stop with A/C and Joe Walsh on MAX held a steady 180 degrees. It has a noticeable buzz or whirring sound to it but not any worse then modern cars electric fan cycles. Next week I'll put this trough it's paces and let you know if it makes the grade. (We will be back into 90+ degree weather, today was rain/cloudy so not as hot.)

chargermick

Very interested in your results. Thanks for posting.

b5blue

Nice and hot today so letting car sit with A/C on high fan max cool while @ idle for about 10 minutes (After driving 1/2 hour that way.) the needle reached to cover the "R" on the word TEMPERATURE. (Equates to about 190 degrees, less than 1/2 of the scale.)