News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will Dirty Mary Crazy Larry replicas go up in value now that Peter Fonda died?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 16, 2019, 09:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Will Dirty Mary Crazy Larry replicas go up in value now that Peter Fonda died? :shruggy:

Died today. Aged 79 years.

Kern Dog

I see the Peter Fonda of late as a piece of shit. I'm glad the assclown is dead.
Lucky for me, I am able to watch a classic movie and imagine that he wasn't such a vile, disgusting leftist hypocrite like so many entertainers are.

JR

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

ht4spd307

Mike DC

RIP.  Lung cancer is a bitch. 

I don't see a big spike in his stuff's value though.  He didn't have a high profile among younger generations like he did the baby boomers.  The people who want his stuff now, they already wanted it before he died.   

will

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 16, 2019, 09:24:56 PM
I see the Peter Fonda of late as a piece of shit. I'm glad the assclown is dead.
Lucky for me, I am able to watch a classic movie and imagine that he wasn't such a vile, disgusting leftist hypocrite like so many entertainers are.

Why are you always so negative? (to quote you)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 18, 2019, 02:30:40 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on August 16, 2019, 09:24:56 PM

Why are you always so negative? (to quote you)

Hey...You want the real ME ???   
I like action movies, I love green grass, trees, freedom to do what I want. I love wrenching on cars, going to swap meets, car shows, wrecking yards, Electronic dance music, classic rock, steak, Mexican food, Mopars, some Chevys, a few Fords, hardly any Imports...I like helping people with their projects too.
Peter Fonda?
Almost any other actor could have played the role in DMCL and I would have liked the movie. What absolutely soured me on him was how he reacted toward the Presidents family. His Twitter posts were criminal and typical of the delusional, emotion driven, non sensical Hollywood Liberal. I can respect a classic Democrat because they at least championed for the working class. A modern Liberal/Democrat has shifted way too far to the left with their vile hatred. They have abandoned common decency and respect for those that have an opposing opinion. For many of them, if you dare to question them or doubt their ideology, they turn evil on you.
I was a registered Democrat for several years until 1996. From then on I have been registered with the GOP. I do not agree with everything they push but I embrace the general spirit of smaller government, fiscal responsibility, freedom from oppressive taxes and regulations and a support of the Constitution. I know that the GOP has also deviated from some of these issues but I don't see them getting emotional, delusional and violent when their candidate loses elections. I don't see Republicans wearing masks and blocking traffic on freeways, going to protests wearing vagina hats, burning cars and buildings or any of that nonsense.
I never saw any GOP supporter publicly threaten Obama's family either.

Ghoste

I don't see it driving value with DMCL clones, there aren't even that many to begin with.

Mike DC

QuoteHey...You want the real ME Huh  
I like action movies, I love green grass, trees, freedom to do what I want. I love wrenching on cars, going to swap meets, car shows, wrecking yards, Electronic dance music, classic rock, steak, Mexican food, Mopars, some Chevys, a few Fords, hardly any Imports...I like helping people with their projects too.
Peter Fonda?
Almost any other actor could have played the role in DMCL and I would have liked the movie. What absolutely soured me on him was how he reacted toward the Presidents family. His Twitter posts were criminal and typical of the delusional, emotion driven, non sensical Hollywood Liberal. I can respect a classic Democrat because they at least championed for the working class. A modern Liberal/Democrat has shifted way too far to the left with their vile hatred. They have abandoned common decency and respect for those that have an opposing opinion. For many of them, if you dare to question them or doubt their ideology, they turn evil on you.
I was a registered Democrat for several years until 1996. From then on I have been registered with the GOP. I do not agree with everything they push but I embrace the general spirit of smaller government, fiscal responsibility, freedom from oppressive taxes and regulations and a support of the Constitution. I know that the GOP has also deviated from some of these issues but I don't see them getting emotional, delusional and violent when their candidate loses elections. I don't see Republicans wearing masks and blocking traffic on freeways, going to protests wearing vagina hats, burning cars and buildings or any of that nonsense.
I never saw any GOP supporter publicly threaten Obama's family either.

Is the Dem party guilty of Antifa's antics?  Is the Dem party guilty of every stupid-ass thing that comes from any person or group on the left/blue side of the spectrum?  

According to that logic, the GOP is guilty of the KKK and neo-Nazis' antics.  Not to mention all these "lone wolf" mass shooters & bombers - they are almost invariably right-wing white guys.  

IMO there is a lot of extremism & idiocy at the far ends of both sides of the political spectrum.    

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

67440chrg

wingcar

Well if it makes you happy.....he did die on the big screen in both DMCL and Easy Ridder......
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Kern Dog

Is the Dem party guilty of Antifa's antics?  Is the Dem party guilty of every stupid-ass thing that comes from any person or group on the left/blue side of the spectrum?  

According to that logic, the GOP is guilty of the KKK and neo-Nazis' antics.  Not to mention all these "lone wolf" mass shooters & bombers - they are almost invariably right-wing white guys.  

IMO there is a lot of extremism & idiocy at the far ends of both sides of the political spectrum.    

The DEmocrats started the KKK. Research the history on that.
These "Lone Wolf" shooters of late have mostly been Democrats or NON affiliated with a party. If they were registered Republicans, the biased media would have been ALL over it in every broadcast.
I agree with there being extremism but lately the extremists on the left are operating unchecked. If the leaders within the party actually disagreed with the extreme views, they would denounce it publicly. They have not.
Trump has spoken out against white supremecists in public, on TV, at his rallies, etc.
My main point with the Peter Fonda issue is that I don't care to hear a paid liar suddenly feel the need to express his political views with such a lack of taste and tact.
Actors live in a fantasy world where they are always spoon fed words to say, being told where to stand, what to do, etc. They are puppets, dancing monkeys. They do not hold any greater importance with their opinions than anyone else does.
If Fonda were to simply speak out against the policies of the President and leave it at that, I would be fine with it. He threatened the President's family, man...You don't have to take it that far to make your point. Taking that route will surely turn off many people that may have been willing to consider your position. Being an emotional wreck, a person who respects no boundaries is no way to sway others to your manner of thinking.
I'm glad he is dead. He made a few movies, he laid low for many years then he crawled out of the abyss long enough to erase any respect I had for him.

Mike DC

QuoteThe DEmocrats started the KKK. Research the history on that.

The two parties are not consistent over time.  In many ways they were practically reversed a couple generations ago.  The GOP was pro-choice until the late 1970s.  The Dem party catered to the poor white south & blue collar workers back then.  Etc.  Times have changed.  

QuoteThese "Lone Wolf" shooters of late have mostly been Democrats or NON affiliated with a party.

Come on.  Let's point some common sense at this:  

High-powered firearms = Democrats & Lefties?  (ANY firearms = Dems/Left?)
Anti-immigrant manifestos?  Rebel flags and shooting black churches?  Bombing Federal buildings?  Does any of this sound like Dem/Left behavior?  More of this stuff comes from Right-wingers if we have to pick a side.  

But I originally argued that we shouldn't be doing this.  We shouldn't be blaming big chunks of the political spectrum for some extremists.  There are 340 million people in the USA.  

Several thousand people at a rally?  It's a tiny percentage of a whole party/side.  
A few dozen celebrities mouthing off?  It's an even smaller portion of a side.  
A handful of mass shooters?  More people get struck by lightning than that.    

QuoteMy main point with the Peter Fonda issue is that I don't care to hear a paid liar suddenly feel the need to express his political views with such a lack of taste and tact.
Actors live in a fantasy world where they are always spoon fed words to say, being told where to stand, what to do, etc. They are puppets, dancing monkeys. They do not hold any greater importance with their opinions than anyone else does.
If Fonda were to simply speak out against the policies of the President and leave it at that, I would be fine with it. He threatened the President's family, man...You don't have to take it that far to make your point. Taking that route will surely turn off many people that may have been willing to consider your position. Being an emotional wreck, a person who respects no boundaries is no way to sway others to your manner of thinking.
I'm glad he is dead. He made a few movies, he laid low for many years then he crawled out of the abyss long enough to erase any respect I had for him.

I'm not defending Fonda.  The public generally doesn't want to hear celebrities' political bullshit.  Most of them have more fame than common sense.  

IMO turning to a celebrity for political advice is like asking them about building a 440.  Sure, they MIGHT know something about it.  But there are other people who build motors for a living.  Listening to amateurs < Listening to pros.  

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lennard

Please remember: this is the place to discuss Chargers - NOT the place to discuss politics. Political posts will be locked or deleted at the Moderator's discretion.

AKcharger

Kern Dog

dual fours

1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Ghoste

How many DMCL clones are there out there?  Will Eleanor clones go up when Nick Cage kicks it?  GL' when Wopat and Schneider are gone?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 19, 2019, 08:57:45 PM

May I suggest:

https://www.angermanagementtrainingsolutions.com/
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

Those were not my words. Those were in a quote from someone else. (Mike D.C.)

oldgold69

geez I thought this would have gotten locked on the first page   now someone show some scantily clothed babe that should it  :nana:

tcs69rt

Getting back to DMCL Chargers...didn't someone on here have a pic of Peter Fonda signing one of their clone cars???  :popcrn:  Maybe one with the signature "could" have some value to a potential buyer?
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Ghoste

Yoou're right, that was a while ago but I recall the photos also.  I would think it might have some impact how much?  Do the signatures affect all the GL cars that were signed or the Shelby cars signed by Carroll?

Mike DC

With GLs the cast signatures have been pretty easy to get.  I don't think it affects a car's value.      

Fonda's death may boost the values of a car he signed & posed with.  The whole DMCL Charger fanbase is just too small to call it.  Every replica's sale is a unique event.  

The movie is popular among film geeks & fans of the era but it's pretty bleak & dated to modern eyes.  I like and respect it but I don't have the urge to revisit it very often.  I watch Kowalski racing around the desert more often.  

Has there ever been any consensus reached on the yellow/green color shade of the prop cars?  

hemi-hampton

Quote from: oldgold69 on August 20, 2019, 06:58:28 PM
geez I thought this would have gotten locked on the first page   now someone show some scantily clothed babe that should it  :nana:

OK.

Birdflu

Kern Dog

dual fours

It's probably one of those lick and stick tattoo's, you know, the temporary type you use water to apply. I think you use Baby Oil to remove them.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Ghoste

oldgold69

was it a factory color or custom mix    hemi- Hampton thank you very much :2thumbs:

Mike DC

Curious Yellow makes sense.  

The earlier prints of the movie (before the digital era) made the car look totally yellow.  The story goes, the film processors didn't know the greenish tint was supposed to be there and kept "correcting" it out.  The greenish tint finally came back when they scanned the original negative for the disc releases.  

It begs the question - if the car became iconic while looking totally yellow until the 2000s, then which is the "real" color?  

Ghoste

My vote would stay with the intended Curious Yellow.  And I owe an apology to all the GL fans because I used to shake my head in wonder as they debated the correct color for that car... and here I am.  lol

Mike DC

Apology accepted  ::)  

I dunno.  The DMCL car always looked a certain way onscreen for the first 30 years the movie existed.  That's pretty significant.  

I wouldn't knock a DMCL replica for being straight yellow.  
Same with a Nash Bridges Cuda clone if it was yellow rather than the butterscotch color on the prop-cars.

It boils down to the question of whether you are copying the real prop or the onscreen image of it.  Should a Fast & Furious Charger replica have real supercharged Hemi, or a dummy blower case on top of an LS motor?  

The Mad Max car's blower is a PITA for replicas.  The prop cars both had fake blowers but they were mounted several inches too far forward.  It's not where a real blower sits on that motor.   Replica builders have to choose between running a real blower or making the blower look screen-accurate.  That issue, plus the public expects it to have the movie blower's magic ON/OFF function . . . most replicas end up running fake blowers.  

XH29N0G

Mike,

Sometimes the information you provide amazes me.  This is one of those times.

Thanks I never knew that about the mad max cars.

:2thumbs:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

chargervert

Quote from: Ghoste on August 20, 2019, 05:27:42 AM
How many DMCL clones are there out there?  Will Eleanor clones go up when Nick Cage kicks it?  GL' when Wopat and Schneider are gone?

I saw an Eleanor clone bring more money than a real 68 Shelby at the last Barrett Jackson auction I watched!

moparstuart

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 23, 2019, 06:20:04 AM
Apology accepted  ::)  

I dunno.  The DMCL car always looked a certain way onscreen for the first 30 years the movie existed.  That's pretty significant.  

I wouldn't knock a DMCL replica for being straight yellow.  
Same with a Nash Bridges Cuda clone if it was yellow rather than the butterscotch color on the prop-cars.

It boils down to the question of whether you are copying the real prop or the onscreen image of it.  Should a Fast & Furious Charger replica have real supercharged Hemi, or a dummy blower case on top of an LS motor?  

The Mad Max car's blower is a PITA for replicas.  The prop cars both had fake blowers but they were mounted several inches too far forward.  It's not where a real blower sits on that motor.   Replica builders have to choose between running a real blower or making the blower look screen-accurate.  That issue, plus the public expects it to have the movie blower's magic ON/OFF function . . . most replicas end up running fake blowers.  

Andy from junk yard empire had them put a functional Blower on his     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZmESlELCg
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

doctor4766

Quote from: dual fours on August 22, 2019, 12:31:48 AM
It's probably one of those lick and stick tattoo's, you know, the temporary type you use water to apply. I think you use Baby Oil to remove them.
So would you lick the substrate or the tattoo?
Gotta love a '69

Mike DC

QuoteMike,

Sometimes the information you provide amazes me.  This is one of those times.

Thanks I never knew that about the mad max cars.

2thumbs

Thanks.  

Another cool thing about Mad Max's ride:  There is a single "real one."  The whole first movie, and all the closeup scenes in the second movie, were using a single car.  It was built out of a factory hi-po 4spd model.   They built one stunt car for the wreck scene in the second movie (which was a base model automatic).  

The original 4spd car still survives.  It has gotten some paintjobs and minor changes but no serious damage or restorations.    

Ghoste

Quote from: chargervert on August 23, 2019, 04:15:28 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on August 20, 2019, 05:27:42 AM

I saw an Eleanor clone bring more money than a real 68 Shelby at the last Barrett Jackson auction I watched!

I'd almost have to call it an anomoly, I've seen a lot of Eleanor clones tank at auction the last several years.  But then again, at an auction you just never know for sure do you?

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 23, 2019, 06:20:04 AM

I wouldn't call him a "friend"... but I knew this guy and his Mad Max car.  https://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-fans/mad-max-replica-cars/mad-max-interceptors/mark-scarselli-blown-interceptor/index.html?path=mad-max-fans/cars/MarkScarselli/index.html

It was usually seen leaking coolant at a car show or pulled over with the hood open somewhere. 

Long since moved to FL.   If it was actually running it sounded good.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Mike DC

QuoteI wouldn't call him a "friend"... but I knew this guy and his Mad Max car.  https://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-fans/mad-max-replica-cars/mad-max-interceptors/mark-scarselli-blown-interceptor/index.html?path=mad-max-fans/cars/MarkScarselli/index.html

It was usually seen leaking coolant at a car show or pulled over with the hood open somewhere.  

Long since moved to FL.   If it was actually running it sounded good.

Nice looking car.  

I'm not surprised it was overheating.  The Mad Max film crew smashed off the fiberglass nose early in the 2nd movie.  I've read that was partly done to aid cooling.  Even without a real blower the fiberglass nose didn't have enough openings to keep it cool.

Looking at those pics, I think I had it mixed up - the prop cars' fake blower location was too far back.  The real blower sits farther forward.  

Those Aussie Falcons are interesting.  It's basically a Ford Torino but on a shorter wheelbase.  That's like a Mopar E-body or a GM A-body.  

IIRC, the original plan in the late 1970s was to use a (North American) Mustang for that car.  It would have seemed a little more novel for the Australian setting & audience.  But they ended up going with a more available local Falcon.  In hindsight it was the better move IMO.  The car is distinctly Aussie this way and it looks unique to the rest of the world.