News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk won't open any ideas

Started by kevs1969daytona, August 17, 2019, 10:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

So today in my 69 Charger I turned the key in the trunk and it did not open.  I can turn it a full 1/2 turn, I push down on the trunk and nothing.  Any ideas on what it could be and how do I get at it to fix.

Kern Dog

Of all of my cars, NONE of the trunks open any ideas at all. They are not human so they cannot think of ideas.  :nana:

70 sublime

If the key does not work you can take the back seat out of car and get a bunch of extensions on a ratchet with a 1/2" socket ( I think that is the size) so you can reach far enough and take the two bolts off the latch to get it open
As long as you do not have the trunk packed full of stuff
Good luck  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

BLK 68 R/T

Might sound silly...but did you turn the key and pull up on the trunk lid? maybe it's just stuck to the weatherstripping?

kevs1969daytona

Will try the extension thing next week, trunk is completely empty.

BLK 68 R/T

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 18, 2019, 03:23:20 AM
Of all of my cars, NONE of the trunks open any ideas at all. They are not human so they cannot think of ideas.  :nana:

Hmmm

HANDM

I have to give my deck lid and hood a Fonzarelli smack and they both will open. If not it's no dice....

doctor4766

I had an instance where the point on the main lock body snapped (right where the lock rod attached) and would no longer allow the rod to give leverage and open the trunk.
Gotta love a '69

Eldovert

I had to break in to a friends Charger trunk (no keys). I welded a socket extension to a piece of pipe,removed to back seats and used the  extension to undo the latch bolts.

303 Mopar

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on August 17, 2019, 10:46:04 PM
So today in my 69 Charger I turned the key in the trunk and it did not open.  I can turn it a full 1/2 turn, I push down on the trunk and nothing.  Any ideas on what it could be and how do I get at it to fix.

I just experienced this over the past few months on my Cuda and Super Bee. The cylinder was broke on both, but I was able to get them open one last time by opening the key flap and squirting in WD-40, inserting the key and tapping it with a rubber mallet. This allowed the pins inside the cylinder to fall and open the trunk.  Dave a rosevillemoparts.com sells the cylinders if you need to replace yours.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible