News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Decoding Transmission Casting Numbers

Started by Grant, August 18, 2019, 06:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant

I recently purchased my first Chrysler/MOPAR vehicle, a 1968 Dodge Charger.  I am trying to decode the transmission's casting numbers that are located on the driver's side right above the pan.  As best I can tell, the casting codes read PK368 1864 5114 6855.  I would appreciate any and all help in identify what these codes mean.  Thanks.

John_Kunkel

PK= Plant Kokomo

3681864= A 727 from a '74-'75 B or C-body with a 400-2 engine.

5114= Build date July 29, 1975

6855= Sequence number, the 6855th built that day.

The partial VIN stamped on the raised pad on the right side bellhousing will tell more.

BTW, "casting numbers" are the raised numbers cast into the part, "stamped numbers" are the subject of this post.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

alfaitalia

"6855= Sequence number, the 6855th built that day."

Could they really build that many in a day and why?....certainly could not build that many cars in a day so where would the demand be for that many trannys. A quick google shows that most modern tranny plants produce no where near that number....let alone in 1975. Not saying its not fact but it just seems a high number to this unknowlegeable Brit!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: alfaitalia on August 19, 2019, 01:05:01 PM
"6855= Sequence number, the 6855th built that day."

Could they really build that many in a day and why?....

I've wondered that too but here's a pic of a similar high (6361) sequence number on a '69 trans.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

alfaitalia

When I was young worked I huge engineering shop....we made bearing retainers for HGV axles. We also had daily sequence numbers...but a number like 6543 would mean the 543rd item made that day on production line number 6. I wonder if a similar thing applies here??
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!