News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front tire size help

Started by krigel, August 18, 2019, 11:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krigel

Hi, on my 1968 Charger, I've been running 18 inch Boss 338 wheels up front, with Nitto NT 555 255/45/18 tires (27 inches tall). I have the full Hotchkis front suspension, so it's dropped a bit. We just re set everything after having it apart, and now I'm running into tire rubbing issues. Anyone running 18 inch rims up front? What tire sizes are you running with 18 inch wheels, and the car lowered? I'm thinking of going down to a 25 inch tire, but think that will be too low of a profile....any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KR

WHITE AND RED 69

What width and backspace are you running? And where is it rubbing?

I have the same suspension and run a 40 series tire which is 25.6" tall with the car dropped and have no rubbing issues.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

krigel

8 inch rim, 4.5 inch backspacing, 2mm positive offset. The wheel/tire combo is 27 inches tall, and 10 inches wide.

What is your spacing combo, and what tire brand are you running? How is the ride being that thin up front?

Cheers,

KR

krigel

Also, how much camber are you running with the Hotchkis set up? Yours looks like it has way more than mine.

Cheers,

KR

WHITE AND RED 69

Mine's an 8" wide with 4.75" bs on a Falken Azenis RT615K 245/40/18 tire. The ride isn't too rough but I do make sure to avoid any potholes. I think a 40 series is a decent compromise, still has a bit of cushion without being too low of a profile. I went a bit aggressive on the camber and set it up for autocrossing with -1.25 camber but never adjusted it back since I liked the look. Normal street use should be -.75 to -1 but I'm ok with the extra wear these specs will cause.

I'm guessing the tires are rubbing the fender brace? I've seen a few guys either bend it for clearance or just remove it. Or is it rubbing somewhere else?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Kern Dog

Quote from: krigel on August 18, 2019, 11:49:35 PM
Hi, on my 1968 Charger, I've been running 18 inch Boss 338 wheels up front, with Nitto NT 555 255/45/18 tires (27 inches tall). I have the full Hotchkis front suspension, so it's dropped a bit. We just re set everything after having it apart, and now I'm running into tire rubbing issues. Anyone running 18 inch rims up front? What tire sizes are you running with 18 inch wheels, and the car lowered? I'm thinking of going down to a 25 inch tire, but think that will be too low of a profile....any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KR

I have an 18x9 Intro Twisted Vista with a 275-40-18. It clears and only the tire  rubs the frame rail.

krigel

It's rubbing the brace, and catching the inside of the wheel well stainless and bending it back. Part of the issue is the car has some rake to it with the same height tires all the way around. With smaller tires up front, I could raise the torsion bars to increase clearance, and still have some rake. I was thinking of going to a 25.5 inch tall tire up front.