News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CLuster gages not working

Started by 69 Green RT/SE, August 19, 2019, 01:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 Green RT/SE

1969 Dodge Charger. Needs a little help. The oil, gas and temp gages do not work. I put in new engine harness and believe everything is hooked up correctly. Are there inline fuses elsewhere?

green69rt

Quote from: 69 Green RT/SE on August 19, 2019, 01:33:45 PM
1969 Dodge Charger. Needs a little help. The oil, gas and temp gages do not work. I put in new engine harness and believe everything is hooked up correctly. Are there inline fuses elsewhere?

Fuse in the fuse block, but there is a voltage regulator that supplies 5 volts (I think) to the cluster.  Plugs in to the back of the cluster circuit board.  Might check it.

69 Green RT/SE

Thank you. I will pull it and check if it.

69 Green RT/SE

I tested the voltage regulator. It was bad. I replaced it but still no oil, gas or temp gage. I tested out at the sending units, they tested good. Also I have a loose wire under the dash. It is a black wire with a yellow tracer. It looks like a ground. It is connected to the steering column. Any ideas on either of my problems?

metallicareload99

Quote from: green69rt on August 19, 2019, 01:46:59 PM
Quote from: 69 Green RT/SE on August 19, 2019, 01:33:45 PM

Fuse in the fuse block, but there is a voltage regulator that supplies 5 volts (I think) to the cluster.  Plugs in to the back of the cluster circuit board.  Might check it.

:iagree:

Quote from: 69 Green RT/SE on August 20, 2019, 07:11:10 PM
I tested the voltage regulator. It was bad. I replaced it but still no oil, gas or temp gage. I tested out at the sending units, they tested good. Also I have a loose wire under the dash. It is a black wire with a yellow tracer. It looks like a ground. It is connected to the steering column. Any ideas on either of my problems?

When was the last time they worked?  How did the rest of the cluster look back there?

That wire sounds like the horn switch to me, what end is loose, does it go to the turn signal switch on the other?  Supposedly if the old mechanical voltage regulator seized in the wrong position it would end up sending 12 volts to the gauges full time, which might burn them out.  Hopefully that's not what happened to you.

Most of my gauges haven't worked in about a decade and most of them have good sending units.  I was worried I burnt them out, but if I bypass the circuit board on the cluster with 4.5 volts the needles move so they seem okay.  I replaced the mechanical regulator with a electronic one, but my gauges still don't work.  I suspect the problem is the circuit board as sometimes the pins get loose and the connection is bad and occasionally the fuel gage will work after a bumpy road.  I'll find out this winter
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

69 Green RT/SE

I saw another post about the same issue with the gauges but no end result. I grounded out the sending units and the needles moved. All lights work. Horn works. I am getting power to the voltage regulator at the back of the instrument board.The black wire with the yellow tracer is grounded to the steering column but I cannot find where it goes. I honestly do not know the last time the gauges worked. I am finishing up the restoration after 6 years and these are the only two items left besides the transmission issue.

krops cars

If you ground out the sensors and the gauge moves it has to be something else. Where did you get your sensors. If they are not right resistance they will not read properly.

69 Green RT/SE

Got sensors through local Napa store

krops cars

I'm just saying. To me if it was the cluster you would think they would not work no matter what. When you say you ground them and the needles move. That lead me to believe sensors.

69 Green RT/SE