News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 lost drive

Started by jwells1993, August 20, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwells1993

hey guys so i was out screwing around with the car and i hurt it i lost drive it goes in itll rev up a barely move 2 is same way as drive and i still have park reverse neutral and 1 my guess is is i need the trans rebuilt or is it something else?
keep on keepin on

justcruisin

First step - make sure of your fluid level. Sounds like it is going into the correct positions so if the fluid is OK it will be pan off to inspect. Most probably something connected with the rear clutch pack or the clutch assembly itself, could be a loose valve body. If the valve body is secure, it will need to come off and the rear clutch pack air tested. Not your brakes holding up?

jwells1993

defiantly not the brakes ive been driving it here and there for about a month or two
keep on keepin on

John_Kunkel

Manual VB or auto?

If auto, place the shifter in 1, if it will move in 1 with no slip but not in Drive you've lost the sprag. If it still won't move without slipping, it's the rear clutch.

If manual, it's the rear clutch.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

jwells1993

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 21, 2019, 04:21:16 PM
Manual VB or auto?

If auto, place the shifter in 1, if it will move in 1 with no slip but not in Drive you've lost the sprag. If it still won't move without slipping, it's the rear clutch.

If manual, it's the rear clutch.

i imagine its an auto came stock out of a winnebago i have first just not drive or 2nd
keep on keepin on

John_Kunkel

If it will "barely move" in Drive, try shifting to 1. If it still barely moves in 1, the rear clutch is the problem but if it moves OK in 1 but not in D, it's the sprag.

You have to realize that, with an auto trans, shifting to 2 or D while standing still has no effect, it still takes off in 1st

jwells1993

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 12, 2019, 01:47:53 PM
If it will "barely move" in Drive, try shifting to 1. If it still barely moves in 1, the rear clutch is the problem but if it moves OK in 1 but not in D, it's the sprag.

You have to realize that, with an auto trans, shifting to 2 or D while standing still has no effect, it still takes off in 1st

thats what i mean i have 1 if its in one and barely moves in 2 or drive can i just swap sprag and new filter or would it be better to rebuild the whole thing
keep on keepin on

c00nhunterjoe

To replace the sprag you have to tear down. Might as well plan on an overhaul at that point. How did you hurt it? Burnouts in 1st and second i assume?

jwells1993

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 12, 2019, 03:50:59 PM
To replace the sprag you have to tear down. Might as well plan on an overhaul at that point. How did you hurt it? Burnouts in 1st and second i assume?
[/quote

launching off a stop light
keep on keepin on

John_Kunkel

Quote from: jwells1993 on September 12, 2019, 02:28:34 PM
thats what i mean

If you used punctuation you would be easier to understand.

c00nhunterjoe

Launches dont typically break a sprag, unless you were spinning and let it hook or it was wheel hopping.