News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Running hot now..bad clutch fan?

Started by comet_666, August 20, 2019, 04:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Is there a way to check a clutch fan to see if its locking up at temperature? My car seems to be running almost 20 degrees hotter than usual in traffic but only around 10 degrees hotter just driving around normally. Noticed it sinse I have been running the fi tech setup.
Was looking at this brushless electric fan setup
https://wizardcooling.com/1966-1969-26-b-b-mopar-applications-aluminum-radiator-w-brushless-fan-package/

I already have that radiator with the mechanical fan shroud, I could remove the shroud and bolt one of these fan packages right up and remove the mechanical fan and have the fitech controll them?..

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XH29N0G

I had a clutch fan go and it spun easily.  I don't know how to test it, but it didn't cost much to buy and try a replacement.  When I did, the temperature stopped rising.

Your other options also work
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

will

Fitech coolant sensors are a known problem. They are showing higher temperatures than actual, many complaints on the fitech facebook page. read the pinned post

comet_666

fi tech unit is controlling my timing
I spun the fan and it spins about 1/2 turn or so, it's not loose.
I saw the posts on the fi tech sensor, however it is reading the same as my dakota digital gauge

cdr

Quote from: comet_666 on August 20, 2019, 08:46:15 PM
fi tech unit is controlling my timing
I spun the fan and it spins about 1/2 turn or so, it's not loose.
I saw the posts on the fi tech sensor, however it is reading the same as my dakota digital gauge

what is the timing map ? Garner7555 has some experience on a good timing table.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

metallicareload99

Quote from: cdr on August 20, 2019, 06:05:50 PM
check the ignition timing curve,

:iagree:

Quote from: will on August 20, 2019, 07:45:48 PM
Fitech coolant sensors are a known problem. They are showing higher temperatures than actual, many complaints on the fitech facebook page. read the pinned post

Either they figured that problem out, or not everyone had that problem  :shruggy:

Quote from: comet_666 on August 20, 2019, 04:21:31 PM
Is there a way to check a clutch fan to see if its locking up at temperature? My car seems to be running almost 20 degrees hotter than usual in traffic but only around 10 degrees hotter just driving around normally. Noticed it sinse I have been running the fi tech setup.
Was looking at this brushless electric fan setup...

I already have that radiator with the mechanical fan shroud, I could remove the shroud and bolt one of these fan packages right up and remove the mechanical fan and have the fitech controll them?..

For that price and just glancing through the link it looks like the unit has it's own controller?  One way I thought of to test if a clutch fan was slipping would be to loosen a bolt on the water pump pulley and one holding the fan blades to the clutch, connect a piece of wire by wrapping one of each end under both bolt heads and snug the bolts down.  The connection would probably be kinda fragile so no high or quick changes in engine speed but at least temporarily you'd have a direct drive fan.  I haven't needed to try this yet tho... so I don't know that it would work  :shruggy:

What are you running for timing?  What were you running with the mechanical advance?  Any vacuum advance, more advance might make a difference?
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

b5blue

I'd buy new one (Amazon had good price.) and compare cold drag with yours, it's returnable. I think if you compare when really overheating a bit you'd feel it locking up by shutting down and quickly checking.

comet_666

Good questions on timing.. I believe initial was 16 using the firecore RTR unit..now I believe base is now 14.3 with my MSD and the fitech controller controls the rest..
I have my fitech logs that list the timing as well as a host of other things ..but other than that I am not sure how to get this information.

cdr

Quote from: comet_666 on August 21, 2019, 09:49:38 AM
Good questions on timing.. I believe initial was 16 using the firecore RTR unit..now I believe base is now 14.3 with my MSD and the fitech controller controls the rest..
I have my fitech logs that list the timing as well as a host of other things ..but other than that I am not sure how to get this information.
its going to need more initial than that

TexasStroker

I'm assuming the Dakota Digital is electric as well?  It could very well be the same sensor.  Do you have mechanical gauge you could swap in?  Similarly, you could shoot temps, or use a candy thermometer to verify.

I've been on the Eddy forums awhile and have seen several threads where multiple makes of sensors routinely read about 20 over.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

comet_666

I am going to trace it back tonight and see if the fi tech is using a different sensor, I had someone install the fitech a month or so ago when i was out of commission with surgery.
I am assuming that before the msd was locked out and phased so fitech could do the timing that it liked initial at 14.3 but I am not positive on that.

cdr

most want 20+ initial, depends on the build, since I went efi I am at 28 initial, 42 light cruise, 35 total

comet_666

I varified that my dakota digital is on a different sensor as the fitech, they both read within a handful of degrees of eachother.
Is my next step to see what initial timing is set to and check that with what fitech is thinking?
I have attached my .pdf of the fitech log of the hot run... sorry you prob have to squint but there are a lot of columns.

sorry..heading row missing....
and CDR..I have to ask, how many years did it take to get your ride to where itis at now?

cdr

Quote from: comet_666 on August 21, 2019, 06:36:04 PM
I varified that my dakota digital is on a different sensor as the fitech, they both read within a handful of degrees of eachother.
Is my next step to see what initial timing is set to and check that with what fitech is thinking?
I have attached my .pdf of the fitech log of the hot run... sorry you prob have to squint but there are a lot of columns.

sorry..heading row missing....
and CDR..I have to ask, how many years did it take to get your ride to where itis at now?

as I said Garner7555 has some experience on a good timing table. him & I worked on his timing table for the Fitech, I just put my EFI on last month, not the 1st one I have installed, have had my Charger 8 years, been running & driving for the past 5 years.
Last week data logging
https://youtu.be/6BBTd5yMvFQ

comet_666

comet_666

In talking with my builder he agrees that 14.6 is too low and should be around 18-20 initial, I am not sure if I can just adjust timing via gun then change on handheld or which order I need to do this in.

garner7555

Sorry, I have been busy and haven't been on the forum lately.   I replied to your PM
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

comet_666

got it , thanks!
update on this...  my timing was set to 0 and the fi tech was set to 14.6...re set timing to 18 and matched that up with fitech and that seems to work pretty well. While I was doing this we noticed the clutch on the fan was leaking out grease or whatever fluid is in there. I ordered a replacement clutch for it, see if that fixes the issue.