News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shoe Polish On A Vinyl Top??

Started by Ghoste, August 21, 2019, 05:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Someone last weekend told me they use shoe polish on their vinyl top and I had to admit that was a new one on me.  I've been and will likely continue to sue, Meguiars or Autoglym on my top but I had to ask, is there anyone out there using shoe polish?

b5blue

I've not heard of since 60-70's  :lol:

ht4spd307

Shoe polish would be ok as it wont have the same affect as some of the products on the market containing oils, silicon etc a recipe for disaster its like throwing oil all over yourself and standing in the sun  :flame:   

CDN72SE

Yeah heard that back in the day, lol.
1972 Charger SE

oldgold69

I used to use liquid gold it would suck in to the top   I also used to use turtle wax black top wax 

Ghoste

First I've heard of the shoe polish or Turtle Wax top wax.  So if it's a thing from "back in the day", is it ok to use?

b5blue

We used it to add more color to crappy worn looking tops. Pledge furniture polish pre Armor All days for interior. I'd say no as now has much better stuff.

oldgold69

the bad part about the top wax was until it would dry in the top  the black would get on your hands

chargervert

That sounds like something that a shiester used car salesman would do!

XH29N0G

Never heard about on a vinyl roof, but sounds interesting.  Brings back a story I was told about using shoe polish on selected slate shingles to get the right effect on some house/mansion my grandpa was hired to work on in the 30's.  I think they wanted something that matched the landscaping. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

oldgold69

Quote from: chargervert on August 29, 2019, 09:18:30 AM
That sounds like something that a shiester used car salesman would do!
I saw it when I got some wax for the car thought i'd try it   made it really shiny black it lasted for a long time   used  liquid gold it was before armor all it would dry out in about 2 weeks or get dusty  I took the vinyl top off the car last year only had one spot where the top cracked open  and that was on a seam  they both kept top soft