News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here is what $5000 buys you.

Started by Kern Dog, August 26, 2019, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I bought a 1970 XH Charger from a car club friend. 383, 727, 8 1/4" axle:

Kern Dog

Original 383 2 barrel, non original trans:

Kern Dog

Solid floors. Needs a trunk floor though. Rear window channel seems okay. Lower quarters seem fine too.
Car was in a collision. RF corner took the most damage.

Kern Dog

It came with a nice grille and front bumper, nice hood too. Fenders are fair. Valance is not great.

Kern Dog

Look closely at the pictures: The RH fender apron is jacked up at the front, frame rail is obviously bent.

Kern Dog

The cowl is slightly curled in near the point where the hood, fender and cowl meet.

JR

That is honestly way more car than I was expecting.

That actually looks buildable. come to think of it, it is a perfect candidate for one of those Schwartz g machine chassis.. 
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Kern Dog

Luckily I have a set of frame rails from a '68 Satellite and an entire front stub from a '70 Belvedere. My initial thoughts are to have a shop put it on a rack and get it straight, then if it looks reasonably good, leave it. If not, I could then replace what looks bad or is wrinkled, torn, etc.
I have not dealt with repairing crash damaged structural parts. I've replaced quarters, roof skins, taillight panels, floor pans but I am entering a new place with this car.
I am amazed at the balls some of you guys have...cutting these apart and somehow fitting them all together again.
This car is a December build, same as my other '70. Bench seat, column shift, no clock or tach, A/C, PS, Power brake. Not sure if it had discs. I had to slip on the front spindles and rotors just to get it mobile. It has been sitting for at least 12 years. The engine spins over easy even with the plugs in it. No fender tag. Maybe a build sheet in the rear seat? Haven't looked that close yet. THe wheels and tires came from a '70 Polara I parted out a couple of months ago.

Kern Dog

I have some "hand me downs" from my other car I will probably use on this one. It gives me the excuse to make upgrades!

Kern Dog

Quote from: JR on August 26, 2019, 08:20:10 PM
That is honestly way more car than I was expecting.

That actually looks buildable. come to think of it, it is a perfect candidate for one of those Schwartz g machine chassis.. 

I can see the logic there....Their setup replaces the stock chassis. Cars like this one are solid from the firewall back so that might be an attractive option for some.

Alaskan_TA

Did the Polara have A35 coded?  :scratchchin:

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Kern Dog

Kern Dog

Thank you. I know that a lot of guys don't want to tell what they paid for their projects but I wanted to do it. I figure that it might help others to determine a fair price to offer when they see these cars sitting in a field or somewhere.
The owner bought it along with another '70 10 or more years ago. Neither has seen the road in that time. This one has been outside the whole time. Vinyl top cars often have rusted rear window channels and rusty trunk floors and quarters. My red '70 had the rusty window and trunk pan but the quarters were solid. THis one seems to be in better shape compared to my red car aside from the bent front end.
That is a challenge for me though...the frame rail and firewall/cowl. I have my red car to measure from, I have factory service manuals for reference as well. I'm anxious but also nervous about screwing that up. I have all the stuff here to replace what is damaged.\
I guess I could put the red car on my level garage shop floor and start taking measurements, then do the same with the XH car.

VegasCharger

Kern Dog

Thanks, Bryan...I sent you a PM.   :2thumbs:

cbrestorations

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 26, 2019, 10:45:55 PM
Thank you. I know that a lot of guys don't want to tell what they paid for their projects but I wanted to do it. I figure that it might help others to determine a fair price to offer when they see these cars sitting in a field or somewhere.
The owner bought it along with another '70 10 or more years ago. Neither has seen the road in that time. This one has been outside the whole time. Vinyl top cars often have rusted rear window channels and rusty trunk floors and quarters. My red '70 had the rusty window and trunk pan but the quarters were solid. THis one seems to be in better shape compared to my red car aside from the bent front end.
That is a challenge for me though...the frame rail and firewall/cowl. I have my red car to measure from, I have factory service manuals for reference as well. I'm anxious but also nervous about screwing that up. I have all the stuff here to replace what is damaged.\
I guess I could put the red car on my level garage shop floor and start taking measurements, then do the same with the XH car.

Put it on frame pulling table, I did that to a dart with the same damage. Pulled it right out

lukedukem

I like that deal you got. I paid 5,500 for my 69 super bee I found in a field and it's in worse shape than this car.
What's the over all plan.  

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: JR on August 26, 2019, 08:20:10 PM

it is a perfect candidate for one of those Schwartz g machine chassis.. 

taxspeaker

Thanks for the pics and price reference. Like everyone else, I think it is clearly recoverable and, like you, I amazed and intimidated by the body skills of some of the guys here.

chargervert

Good score Kern,you can't buy much second generation Charger these days for under ten grand. Don't forget to grab that right front 70 Charger fender thats for sale in the parts for sale section.  It's only $3600.00,but it's marked just for you from the original asking price of $3900.00.

alfaitalia

They would be $15k plus over here.....mad I know....but there you go! Looks like a pretty solid starting point.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Kern Dog

Quote from: taxspeaker on August 27, 2019, 08:48:30 AM
Thanks for the pics and price reference. Like everyone else, I think it is clearly recoverable and, like you, I amazed and intimidated by the body skills of some of the guys here.

Yeah...I see pictures from some peoples builds...Entire rear sections removed yet somehow it all goes back together? Whuuut ??
I have seen CB do some extensive metal replacement but I have not seen anyone do it in person. I wonder if they use the Quarter panel skin as a guideline to line everything else back up.
Regarding the front: Since the doors open and close fine, I am guessing that the problems are limited to the frame rails. Soon I'll reach out to a few shops to see if I can arrange a frame tug.