News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here is what $5000 buys you.

Started by Kern Dog, August 26, 2019, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I have (2) 383's Both rebuilt and they scream Horse Power.  :cheers:

Kern Dog

Quote from: b5blue on May 10, 2020, 08:31:21 AM
Don't forget all that cutting lowers the rocker shafts changing valve train geometry. I may have new shaft shim sets left over (Bought for just in case.) if your not using cut to fit push rods.

Thank you. I'm still undecided on which engine that I will use.   :2thumbs:

greycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 02, 2020, 12:34:39 AM
This thread is about a car build on the cheap, nothing political about it. Not fake, all the mistakes and successes are here for all to see.  :2thumbs:
I have to remind people sometimes that I am mostly a clown...I love to joke, tease and entertain....sometimes I like to annoy people. Some threads have become waaaaaay too serious.
I doubt that anyone's mind will change in the hotly debated threads so why not take a step back and laugh a bit?
I hope that even the most ardent leftist can believe that the media has become a joke. They often make news instead on impartially reporting it.
This topic though is only about a car that was wrecked almost 25 years ago and left for dead.

No, you are quite wrong. The media is not a joke and most of their reporting is based on live events that can't be denied, though some who wish to erase or ignore facts call them fake in hopes that by repeating their lies, the truth will be obscured.  

RallyeMike

I am enjoying this thread. Unfortunately its now gong to be locked instead of addressing the source of the problem?

Kern... could I appeal to you to not respond to these guys and continue?

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

darbgnik

Quote from: RallyeMike on May 26, 2020, 11:38:14 AM
I am enjoying this thread. Unfortunately its now gong to be locked instead of addressing the source of the problem?

What he said. I like this thread. And half of the new guys 12 posts are political, including the vert first ones. Don't let him ruin this build thread.

Start a new thread to respond if you have to.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

birdsandbees

If only Greg could right now...  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

greycharger

Quote from: darbgnik on May 26, 2020, 02:18:49 PM
Quote from: RallyeMike on May 26, 2020, 11:38:14 AM

What he said. I like this thread. And half of the new guys 12 posts are political, including the vert first ones. Don't let him ruin this build thread.

Start a new thread to respond if you have to.

It was his choice to slip that nonsense into a thread

Like most others, I would rather grimace, dismiss the nonsense, and move on, but somebody has to call out the lie.

If he was indeed, attempting to be humorous, he needs to buy a joke book.

greycharger

ACUDANUT

Quote from: greycharger on May 26, 2020, 10:55:31 AM
This thread is about a car build on the cheap, nothing political about it. Not fake, all the mistakes and successes are here for all to see.  :2thumbs:
I have to remind people sometimes that I am mostly a clown...I love to joke, tease and entertain....sometimes I like to annoy people. Some threads have become waaaaaay too serious.
I doubt that anyone's mind will change in the hotly debated threads so why not take a step back and laugh a bit?
I hope that even the most ardent leftist can believe that the media has become a joke. They often make news instead on impartially reporting it.
This topic though is only about a car that was wrecked almost 25 years ago and left for dead.

No, you are quite wrong. The media is not a joke and most of their reporting is based on live events that can't be denied, though some who wish to erase or ignore facts call them fake in hopes that by repeating their lies, the truth will be obscured.  

UMMM. Here is what 5K buys you...... Who is this assssclown going off on our buddy??
[/b]  Greyhound ??? WTFIT ?

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: greycharger on May 26, 2020, 10:55:31 AM

Any comments on the video in post #32 (& up) here...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,137897.25.html

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: b5blue on May 01, 2020, 10:01:12 PM
WOW LOOK WHAT YOU DID! I'm real impressed, posting pictures and everything.....or is this fake news?  :scratchchin:

Unfortunately, Kern Dog has been banned from this site, but his build still continues and can be easily viewed here......

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/lookie-what-5000-buys-you.178346/

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 29, 2020, 03:35:11 AM
Quote from: b5blue on May 01, 2020, 10:01:12 PM
WOW LOOK WHAT YOU DID! I'm real impressed, posting pictures and everything.....or is this fake news?  :scratchchin:

Unfortunately, Kern Dog has been banned from this site, but his build still continues and can be easily viewed here......

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/lookie-what-5000-buys-you.178346/

Shows Gregory was on today.  :shruggy:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ACUDANUT

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 29, 2020, 03:55:04 AM

I have checked in every couple of days but I kept hitting a brick wall, getting an error message that told me that I was banned.
I am back and will have plenty to report later tonight.

Forgive me if I report on stuff that I already mentioned. I forgot at what point that I was before being banned.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 29, 2020, 05:17:10 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 29, 2020, 03:55:04 AM

I have checked in every couple of days but I kept hitting a brick wall, getting an error message that told me that I was banned.
I am back and will have plenty to report later tonightt.

Good, glad to see you back.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Kern Dog

Thank you so much. I have plenty to report.

Kern Dog

Back on track....
The Jigsaw project continues. I tore down the 383 and the .030 440 and took them to the machine shop.

Kern Dog

The original engine (383 2 barrel) is standard bore, stock pistons, rod and main bearings dated July 1969. The 440 is a 1976 mill from a Police car. It broke a rod at 3700 rpms on the freeway in 2004. At the time, I was moving within a month so I just bought another 440 block for my red car and went with a 4.15 stroke setup.
My thoughts as I went to the machine shop were still up in the air. The 383 appealed to me since it is the original engine. I planned to see if the man could hone the cylinders and see if I could just put new rings and bearings in it. The 440 was my first pick though. I figured to put in a new piston and rod, recondition all the rods and crank, hone the cylinders and have only a few hundred in it including machine work.
There is a chunk of iron missing at the bottom of the #4 cylinder where the rod snapped. It worried me a bit so This is why I bought a different block in 2004. After looking at it a few times over the years, it seemed to me that it might be okay if the water passages were intact. I had planned to let the machine shop guy do a Magnaflux test on it.

Kern Dog

As he was bent down looking, he saw this:

Kern Dog

Yep...a crack in the cylinder wall. This engine has sat for almost 16 years and I have never noticed the crack. The hole was open...the piston and rod have been out of it since the day it went boom. I should have seen it.
So, the 440 could be sleeved for about the cost of a core 440!

Kern Dog

So ...I have another 440 that I could use. I pulled it from a '71 Chrysler 300 that a guy gave me in 2008. It ran great. I looked up the factory specs for the engines.

This is for 1970 engines.

Kern Dog

After seeing this, I call B U L L S H I T.
I checked the deck clearance with the 383. The piston sat .076 in the hole at TDC. Crunching the numbers with the .020 stock head gasket and 88 cc heads, the Compression ratio is NOT 8.7 but actually 8.12 to 1. If I were to screw it back together with the common .039 Fel Pro head gasket, the CR drops to 7.85 to 1. Terrible.

Kern Dog

Before taking the engines to the machine shop, I decided to try porting heads. I have a few sets here so I went through them and found the cleanest set. They are # 346. They have been rebuilt not long before I got them. New hardened exhaust seats and they have been milled.  The combustion chamber looked noticeably smaller than the other heads I have.
The chamber is .077 deep on the '346 heads.
Check out the others.

Kern Dog

One set of '452s measured .101 deep! Some say that the '906, '346, '452 heads all spec out around 88-90 ccs when new. There are online published specs showing what effect that milling has on compression. I've done so much math lately, my head is fuzzy.
I thought of reusing the stock pistons but milling the heads a LOT, I've thought of using the .020 stock head gaskets, Aftermarket pistons to get the piston up higher in the cylinder...

Kern Dog

Back to porting though.

Check out the exhaust ports compared to stock gaskets then to TTI header gaskets.