News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

More than one size of pitman arm spline?

Started by mattretch9888, August 31, 2019, 05:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattretch9888

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is more than one size of spline on pitman arms? It's on a 69 charger, and I've bought the proforged set of quick ratio pitman and idler arms, idler is fine but the pitman arm will not fit on the spline on my steering box. My steering box appears original, and everywhere I look I can only find one pitman arm listed and no other variants of size

Thanks
Matt

green69rt

Quote from: mattretch9888 on August 31, 2019, 05:45:25 AM
Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is more than one size of spline on pitman arms? It's on a 69 charger, and I've bought the proforged set of quick ratio pitman and idler arms, idler is fine but the pitman arm will not fit on the spline on my steering box. My steering box appears original, and everywhere I look I can only find one pitman arm listed and no other variants of size

Thanks
Matt

Is it obvious that the pitman splines are wrong?  I assume you lined up the index splines when trying to put the pitman on.  Only variation would be by year, what I can find is same pitman arm for b-body from about 66 to 72.

John_Kunkel

There are two spline sizes, 1 1/8" and 1 1/4". The 1 1/4" is mostly used on C-bodies but sometimes show up in B-bodies that have had a steering box replaced.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mattretch9888

Think it must have been replaced at some point, guessing with a c body steering box. Many thanks for the help

green69rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 31, 2019, 12:46:06 PM
There are two spline sizes, 1 1/8" and 1 1/4". The 1 1/4" is mostly used on C-bodies but sometimes show up in B-bodies that have had a steering box replaced.

Going to use up some more brain cells remembering this.  Don't have a lot to spare :lol:

375instroke