News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedcore Barracuda totaled.

Started by Lennard, September 01, 2019, 06:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 06, 2019, 08:45:09 AM
Did they ever say why the accident happened ?
Driver error or ....

No investigation is necessary because it's a clear cut case of a high performance car with a low performance driver.

RallyeMike

Interesting now people are opining why such a hotrod did not have a roll cage and 5-point belts. As technology is making high HP so much more readily available, it's a good question as to the responsible path for building such cars. Should the same question be asked of cars like the Hellcat and Demon?  :shruggy:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

alfaitalia

...I don't think so...those new cars pass crash tests that could not have even been dreamt of in the late 60s or early 70s plus of course they have airbags. But if you put that much power in a car with the structural integrity of a wet paper bag then maybe. That said if it had a 440 in it and you crashed at 100 mph it would hurt just as much as crashing at 100 with a Hellcat motor. So if you did not need a roll cage when it was stock why do you want it now? I guess I can see both sides of it.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mike DC

Sooner or later there will be accidents that force the NHRA to look at modern cars differently from the older ones.  Vehicles made 50 years apart should not have the same safety regs.  

I could imagine a situation where NHRA-mandated rollbars block an OEM airbag from doing its job and end up doing somebody more harm than good.  

RallyeMike

If I ever end up a Hellcat/Demon owner it will get a cage and belts. 700+HP without this stuff just seems upside down to me even considering airbags and advanced engineering. On a 50 year old car.... even more so.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

One look at elemars 69 was enough to make me double think the structural safety of mine.

billssuperbird

I just saw some news the California Highway Patrol has Kevin Hart's Cuda they're going to strip it down to the nuts and bolts and laws maybe change for that kind of car and classic cars. May have to have safety features installed this don't look good :flame:

72Charger72

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 02, 2019, 10:03:12 PM
This topic has been posted around the internet and there always seems to be a few people that play the "Class warfare" angle.
Rich, stupid jerk....More money than brains....What an idiot! ...
Why not READ the articles or delve a little deeper before condemning a guy? Kevin Hart by my accounts is a nice guy, one that EARNS his money and is a good entertainer. Even if he ever did wreck a car like this, WHO are YOU to judge him or anyone? WE all could wreck our cars someday....At least Kevin is one of the people brave enough to DRIVE their cars instead of wiping it down with a diaper every two days.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

chargervert

You guys in the land of fruits and nuts may feel differently about it after your classic car gets scrutinized by the safety czars because of high profile people crashing cars like this! When they deem your car unsafe, and start crushing them,and use it as an excuse to push their left wing electric car agenda .

krops cars

chargervert

He had a white 69 Charger that was broadsided by a Chevy dually at 70 mph. The pictures are a shocking reminder of how little side impact protection our cars have. If he would have had a passenger in his car,they would have had to scrape up their remains with a shovel.  My friend had the same thing happened with his 73 Road Runner, and you could stand up with your feet on the ground where the passengers seat used to be. There was also two older guys killed in a 68 Charger from a side impact crash, when the car got loose on them and was T boned.  The guy who owned the company that made the backpacks was also killed when his Charger got loose and he hit a tree with the drivers side door.  Keep in mind that when you are out in your old school Mopar, that you never want to pull out in front of someone, a T bone accident can be fatal.  And be careful when you get them loose,make sure that there isn't anything that you can hit!

Mike DC

Yeah that wrecked white '69 looked really scary. 
I thought it was only something like 55 mph. 

To be fair though . . .  a direct hit from a fullsize truck, at that speed, going into the side door . . . that would be a rough ride in any vehicle.

odcics2

Quote from: chargervert on September 10, 2019, 01:11:08 PM
You guys in the land of fruits and nuts may feel differently about it after your classic car gets scrutinized by the safety czars because of high profile people crashing cars like this! When they deem your car unsafe, and start crushing them,and use it as an excuse to push their left wing electric car agenda .

Drinking the cool-aid again?   :shruggy: 

Maybe drivers training for hot rods should be taught in high school?   Folks forget that the right foot controls the gas!!   :yesnod:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Brass

I get the allure of stuffing modern, high HP mills into classics.  It's what hot-rodders do.  But without modern safety features like ABS and traction control to tame that power, they really are deathtraps in the wrong hands.  Forget 700+ HP, most people don't know what an honest 450-500 HP feels like.  Maybe the aftermarket can step up with better options and upgrades, which I think would ultimately be great for the hobby.  Given the option, if someone is already going to convert to a modern drivetrain, why not include newer safety components too?

gtx6970

Let the 1st one here who has never had a car get away from them,,,, raise there hand

Mike DC

QuoteLet the 1st one here who has never had a car get away from them,,,, raise there hand

:iagree:

We wouldn't love these cars so much if we couldn't hurt ourselves with them.  

I'm surprised these bad wrecks don't happen more often.  There are TONS of overpowered classic cars out there in the hands of people who cannot drive.  And younger generations have virtually no experience with vehicles breaking traction.  

Retrofitting modern driver aids?  The aftermarket hasn't even looked at that mountain yet.  The demand has not been there.

Big modern tires can be a factor too.  They get you farther into trouble before they finally lose traction.  It helps avoid some wrecks, but with others it just gives you more rope to hang yourself with.  

Lennard

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 10, 2019, 09:31:00 PM
QuoteLet the 1st one here who has never had a car get away from them,,,, raise there hand

:iagree:

We wouldn't love these cars so much if we couldn't hurt ourselves with them.  

I'm surprised these bad wrecks don't happen more often.  There are TONS of overpowered classic cars out there in the hands of people who cannot drive.  And younger generations have virtually no experience with vehicles breaking traction.  

Retrofitting modern driver aids?  The aftermarket hasn't even looked at that mountain yet.  The demand has not been there.

Big modern tires can be a factor too.  They get you farther into trouble before they finally lose traction.  It helps avoid some wrecks, but with others it just gives you more rope to hang yourself with.  

Reminds me of a decal I had on my pro street '32 Furd coupe that said:
OVERPOWERED, UNDERBRAKED... DRIVEN BY A MANIAC

Stevetona

I'm very new to the Mopar hobby. Being 41 and driving for 25 years I don't think I ever drove a car built before 1980 until now. When I got the keys I was told be careful it corners and stops like a 50 year old car and it does.

We get used to the modern features like anti lock brakes and traction control. I'm giving the thought of installing shoulder belts in my car. It feels very strange with only lap belts.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 07, 2019, 08:56:28 PM
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/kevin-hart-car-missing-safety-features

I might add, there are other ways to make a hardtop into a convertible.  :D

The HP numbers are all over. 700-900 HP.

yeppers.

alfaitalia

Quote from: Lennard on September 21, 2019, 12:45:11 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2019/09/21/kevin-hart-lawsuit-certain-car-crash-custom-muscle-injuries/

What a load of crap....Land Of The Free"...........really??? Seems that many or you guys will sue each other for just about anything. The car was either streel legal or it wasn't....the passenger made a choice of whether to get in the car and almost certainly new how old and uncrashworthy old cars are. You made that decision .....live with it.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

charger Downunder

[/quote]

Mike DC

QuoteWhat a load of crap....Land Of The Free"...........really??? Seems that many or you guys will sue each other for just about anything. The car was either streel legal or it wasn't....the passenger made a choice of whether to get in the car and almost certainly new how old and uncrashworthy old cars are. You made that decision .....live with it.

Any asshole can file a suit.  

Whether a judge & jury awards then anything is a different question.