News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing Dynamat Behind Rear Seat

Started by john108, September 04, 2019, 02:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Dodge Charger
Installing Dynamat Behind Rear Seat
On the metal wall, on each side of the car, there is a Hex Bolt and a screw.
Is there a reason not to cover them with the insulation?
What function do they serve?
I have owned the car for 51 years now and never knew they were there, until I pulled the rear seat.

Alaskan_TA

The bolt came first. It helped hold the frame rail & floor pan together at the factory before the welding started.

The screw was put in with the exhaust hanger to hold it tight to the floor so it would not move later on when the person installing the exhaust hanger from underneath the car did their part of the job.

green69rt

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 04, 2019, 06:25:38 PM
The bolt came first. It helped hold the frame rail & floor pan together at the factory before the welding started.

The screw was put in with the exhaust hanger to hold it tight to the floor so it would not move later on when the person installing the exhaust hanger from underneath the car did their part of the job.

:yesnod:

Isn't it fun finding out about all these little things on our cars!

Alaskan_TA

It is. And I have not seen a dynomat car yet worthy of buying.

It can cover up too many bad things.

john108

Well you haven't seen them all.
I am the original owner and it has lived its life in California, mostly in a garage, not PA.
The floor pan looked new before installing the Dynamat.
I thought it would be a good idea during the restoration for reasons many have discussed.

gtx6970

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 04, 2019, 06:58:24 PM
It is. And I have not seen a dynomat car yet worthy of buying.

It can cover up too many bad things.

Im sorry ( ok no not really )
But this comment is in very poor taste .
1st, I  have serious doubts you've seen every car out there thats had dynomat installed.
2nd, Although YOU may think so , not every car guy out there is a crook OR out to please YOU.

If I offend the other members I apologize  in advance, but  this comment struck a nerve. Ive used said material A LOT ,,,,and NOT once was it to hide ANYTHING or rip ANYONE off

Kern Dog

Good point.
Alaska T/A, AKA Barry.....
You seem to have developed into a bit of a grump lately. Are you okay? Are you having trouble sleeping?
Not everyone is a stoic, serious purist. Some people deviate from stock to please themselves and make the car the way that they want it.
Most builds that I see are NOT using these sound deadener products to hide rust or damage. MOST people that choose to use it have gotten used to a quieter car and when they get into a 50 year old restored classic, it can be a bit of a let down in terms of ride and noise quality. Sound deadener is used extensively in new cars to isolate noise so why not use it for the same purpose in our cars ?

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!