News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radio goes off when putting it into Reverse

Started by 70sixpkrt, September 04, 2019, 08:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sixpkrt

I changed my transmission gear oil today and noticed that when I put it into Reverse my radio goes off and then on. It did blow the fuse once. It's a 4 speed. I was using Passon Perf gear oil and switched to 85W90 gear oil. I did add the trunk light harness that is behind the drivers side kick panel last month. I don't remember if it did this before adding the trunk light harness. The stereo is an aftermarket one which I put in about 20 years ago. Could it be a bad reverse switch at the tranny?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

krops cars

All the switch does is send power in and back out. You could unhook the wires take an ohm meter. Put one lead on the side of the switch and put the other lead on the wire terminal on the switch. If you have continuity its junk. If not problem is else where.

70sixpkrt

By the manual, the back up light switch is connected to the radio harness. So I unplugged the plug to the reverse switch on the tranny. Car on accessory put it into reverse the radio stays on. No reverse light on the dash since it is unplugged. Hooked up a jumper wire from one female to the other female lead on the plug. Car on accessory the reverse light on the dash is on. Put it into reverse and the radio stayed on. To me it sounds like a bad back up light switch.

krops cars

Ghoste

TexasStroker

Quote from: Ghoste on September 06, 2019, 05:17:52 AM
Car could be possessed.  :naughty:

Maybe a previous owner backed into a pole, so the car takes it upon itself to garner full attention, lol.

That said, I would try replacing the switch as well.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

70sixpkrt

I unplugged the plug and hooked up a test light. I put it in reverse. Grounded the test light and then touched the each terminal on the switch. No light from either side. Did the same with the plug. Light came on and radio stayed on. Bad back up switch?

70sixpkrt

So I got a new back up switch yesterday. Plugged the plug to the new switch and pressed the ball bearing. The reverse light went on and the radio stayed on. I touched the switch to the trans for a ground and pressed the ball bearing. Reverse light went on and the radio stayed on. Looks like it was the switch.

TexasStroker

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!