News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Age vs Miles: 2001 Ram 5.2L Magnum Motor Maintenance

Started by TexasStroker, September 06, 2019, 12:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

So...It looks like the water pump in my 2001 Ram 4x4 is going out.  Kind of wondering if anyone has insights on what all might need to be tackled while I have so much of the front accessories torn down and out of the way. 

In a normal situation I'd do the plenum mod, timing chain, all the hoses, etc.  I'd view it as saving time and money by tackling things earlier while it is convenient to do so.

The catch is, the truck isn't exactly typical in the sense I've got about 55,000 Miles on it.  I got it new and despite the low miles have used it as a daily for most of that time (6 or so miles has been my longest school/work commute, lol).  As such, I'm faced more with "the truck is 20 years old" than "the truck has 100-200k miles."

I've always just had the old cars and did what needed to be done with knowledge I was going to re-build the driveline soon.  The truck has just always kind of been there...rock solid and dependable.  A wheel cylinder went out in the LH drum my junior year in college.  The dash finally started to crack a little in 2010.  I think the compressor may leak a little oil from the shaft.  And I need to change a few freeze plugs.  But past that and the water pump the truck hasn't had mechanical issues.

With me being the original owner, knowing the history, and able to verify mileage is legit, I'm not sure how in depth I should go with the water pump replacement.  Any insights would be appreciated.

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

RallyeMike

Hoses and belts continue to age and weaken with time but a timing chain does not. At this rate it will be another 20-30 years before you have enough miles on it to warrant a timing chain replacement. I'd leave the chain alone.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

TexasStroker

Thanks for the insights.  The miles slowed down a bit when I got the Mopar 10 as I'd kind of drive each one for a few weeks and then switch etc.

I will for sure do all the hoses and a new belt along with the water pump.

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Todd Wilson

I agree with hoses while its all apart.  I would replace the pump and thermostat and rubber stuff and be done with it. If you start getting oil consumption I would check the plenum gasket. Or if you work the truck hard pulling and find its low on oil then its plenum gasket time.  Always check the oil!  Never know when that gasket will start to fail and cause it to go thru oil! I got lucky with my 95 and didn't lose the engine when I was on a trip with a trailer when mine acted up!

Todd

TexasStroker

Will do.  Might try to get the parts ordered in this weekend.  I have been leery of the plenum issue, but everything still seems okay so far.
I sadly can't tackle it just yet with a broken thumb, but at least I'll be ready!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Todd Wilson

I was on a trip with my trailer. On the return trip I was empty. My AC compressor went out on the trip home. Truck was using a lot of gas and I started thinking the compressor was creating drag on the engine. I got it home and checked things out and determined the AC compressor went out and caused drag on the belt system and wore the water pump out. I checked the dipstick for oil just for the hell of it and was way low. I did not know at the time about the plenum gasket.  Here is a link to my web site photos of the plnum and water pump replacement. Its not tough to do!

http://job-rated.com/plenum/index.html

TexasStroker

Dang!  That is a ton of oil!  I think the shaft seal might be leaking on my A/C Compressor.  I've always wondered what the life cycle is on the plenums going...

The owner's of the machine shop I use both had 2nd Gen Rams and the son racked up tons of miles on the truck in college with no issue and his dad had his truck up until a few years ago without it ever failing.

I'm sure when I do the water pump the plenum will go in a few months...just seems to be how things work out, lol.  I guess I'll at least be quicker tearing down the front accessories at that point.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Todd Wilson

Mine went at prolly 75k miles. Was fine but after the heavy pull for 400+ miles it gave out. I got real lucky!

Always check the oil on these engines!!!!

Todd

BrianShaughnessy

The plenum went out in my 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee on the way to the Mopar Nats a few years back.    Noticed the OP getting weird nearing State College Pennsyltucky not quite halfway into the trip.    Was 3 quarts down.     Basically ended up stopping every 100 miles to throw in a quart and check the gas - 5.9s are gas hogs LOL.
It was something like at least 12 quarts it sucked down over the trip.    I think it had about 90K on it then.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

c00nhunterjoe

20 year old front cover gasket..... and you are removing half of the sealing bolts to do a water pump.... i would do it all otherwise in 3 months you will have a coolant leak at the front cover seal.

RiverRaider

Hello,
I have 385,75x miles on my 1996 5.2 5spd Sport, Four water pumps the original and the last one were Chrysler the other after market ones didn't make it long.  You may need the tool to hold the pulley when you take the fan off if its like my 96.  I would do the plenum since you have everything apart.  I used the Hughes one.  Mine made it until over 300,000 but most don't make it past 100,000 miles. The water neck was replaced with the last pump.  If you do the plenum I would suggest cap/rotor/plugs/wires I do mine every 50,000 it easy with the intake out of the way.  TPS sensors go out at about every 80,000 to 100,000 Belt tensioners and pulleys about 150,000,  I also had a couple frost plugs fail.  I have been changing coolant, axle grease and trans/transfer fluids at about 50,000 mile intervals.  After about 250,000 the springs in front softened so I put in a 2" spacer kit in front and that made it sit level again.  
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

TexasStroker

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 09, 2019, 09:30:17 AM
20 year old front cover gasket..... and you are removing half of the sealing bolts to do a water pump.... i would do it all otherwise in 3 months you will have a coolant leak at the front cover seal.

I guess the perk there is I could check the timing chain.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Quote from: RiverRaider on September 09, 2019, 11:55:14 AM
Hello,
I have 385,75x miles on my 1996 5.2 5spd Sport, Four water pumps the original and the last one were Chrysler the other after market ones didn't make it long.  You may need the tool to hold the pulley when you take the fan off if its like my 96.  I would do the plenum since you have everything apart.  I used the Hughes one.  Mine made it until over 300,000 but most don't make it past 100,000 miles. The water neck was replaced with the last pump.  If you do the plenum I would suggest cap/rotor/plugs/wires I do mine every 50,000 it easy with the intake out of the way.  TPS sensors go out at about every 80,000 to 100,000 Belt tensioners and pulleys about 150,000,  I also had a couple frost plugs fail.  I have been changing coolant, axle grease and trans/transfer fluids at about 50,000 mile intervals.  After about 250,000 the springs in front softened so I put in a 2" spacer kit in front and that made it sit level again.  

That is some great info!  I've got a couple of freeze plugs that need to be replaced too.  Did you get them with the motor still in the truck?  The rear side plugs are pretty bad, but the front side plugs look mint. 

Has your AC Compressor or Heater Core been replaced?  Any approximate time frames on those?  Sounds like you've got it down pretty good with the truck!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on September 09, 2019, 09:20:23 AM
The plenum went out in my 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee on the way to the Mopar Nats a few years back.    Noticed the OP getting weird nearing State College Pennsyltucky not quite halfway into the trip.    Was 3 quarts down.     Basically ended up stopping every 100 miles to throw in a quart and check the gas - 5.9s are gas hogs LOL.
It was something like at least 12 quarts it sucked down over the trip.    I think it had about 90K on it then.

Dang...that is just eating oil!  This thread has taught me that I basically need to avoid towing and/or going to a car show with the truck without a case of oil in the back, haha.  I've already gotten accustomed to driving with gallons of distilled water.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

RiverRaider

Quote from: TexasStroker on September 09, 2019, 03:28:33 PM
Quote from: RiverRaider on September 09, 2019, 11:55:14 AM
Hello,

That is some great info!  I've got a couple of freeze plugs that need to be replaced too.  Did you get them with the motor still in the truck?  The rear side plugs are pretty bad, but the front side plugs look mint. 

Has your AC Compressor or Heater Core been replaced?  Any approximate time frames on those?  Sounds like you've got it down pretty good with the truck!

The engine block heater was the first one to leak then the other side but the easy to get to ones, never pulled the motor to check the back.  I put Indian Gasket Shellac on all I could see and started changing coolant and no problems since about 150,000.  I never replaced heater or any A/C parts.  Takes about 4 cans of 134 a summer.  The manual trans went out at 18,000 miles under warranty and they replaced it and the clutch and flywheel at that time.  So over 350,000 mile on the current clutch.  Original starter and alternator.  But broke one radiator and four front axles plowing snow until I added washers on the steering stops so it would not turn too far.  Also added u joints from Randy's Ring and Pinion and solved the axle problem.  The radio didn't make it to 100,000 the hi low beam switch give out in the early 200's. Second set of rotors, four front wheel bearings two steering dampeners.  Fuel pumps go about a 80-90 thousand.  Chrysler ones you can beat on the tank and it will go again to make it home the aftermarket one leaves you sitting.  I put POR 15 on the rust so its better than most trucks rust wise here in Wisconsin.  The truck has been good overall received it November 1995 I cost $20,100 when new.  But recently had an engine fire that messed up the wiring. Injector leaked and sprayed fuel.  If your hood insulation is oily get rid of it as it is very difficult to put out when it catches fire.

TexasStroker

Awesome info...thanks again!  All I have really had go out prior to this is a wheel cylinder.  I'd be pretty happy with your track record!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: TexasStroker on September 09, 2019, 03:30:42 PM

Dang...that is just eating oil!  This thread has taught me that I basically need to avoid towing and/or going to a car show with the truck without a case of oil in the back, haha.  I've already gotten accustomed to driving with gallons of distilled water.

So a few yeas down the road after I fixed the intake.   It's got like 120K.   No appreciable oil usage and still has 'normal' oil pressure.   I run semi-syn high mileage 10w40.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

TexasStroker

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on September 10, 2019, 05:33:23 PM
Quote from: TexasStroker on September 09, 2019, 03:30:42 PM

So a few yeas down the road after I fixed the intake.   It's got like 120K.   No appreciable oil usage and still has 'normal' oil pressure.   I run semi-syn high mileage 10w40.

Cool deal..glad the plenum pans hold up!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

gtx6970

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 09, 2019, 09:30:17 AM

Agreed

Age is the factor here.
IMO If you have it down that far. change the timing chain. They're  not that expensive, throw in a TSB chain tensioner for good measure.
I would go ahead and pull the intake and change the plenum gasket if its never been done.
the updated gasket is a coated steel gasket as opposed to the original paper gasket . its not a matter of IF it goes, just WHEN .

All the belts and hoses, maybe a belt tensioner for good measure

enjoy it for another 20 years.

TexasStroker

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 11, 2019, 05:48:59 PM
enjoy it for another 20 years.

Hope to do just that! 

I got the stitches out of my thumb this morning...was told I still needed to wear the splint and then my question about when I could "feel" things was answered with "could be months."  I figure I've got 3 weeks to get the parts in...going to try and get a Chrysler water pump.  Talked to my engine builder and he had a similar time table to River Raider and a few others...suggested I do the temp sensor as well.

I need to post up pics...the upper and lower hoses still look immaculate.  I suppose that comes with detailing frequently.  Still going to replace them, but I'm impressed with how well they've aged given Amarillo's dry heat, dust, and occasional cold spell!

Glad to see so many on here still have their 2nd Gen Rams, or Grand Cherokees from the era.  I still think the aftermarket (and factory for that matter) really dropped the ball with the Magnum motors.  The slim hopes I held that things would come around once more were retrofitted into old cars died with the coming on of the 3G HEMI.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

lloyd3

Just saw this.  Useful post for old Ram truck owners.  I'm used to hearing about 2nd gen Chargers, but was unaware of 2nd gen trucks, how does that one work?

RiverRaider

Quote from: lloyd3 on September 12, 2019, 11:48:55 AM
Just saw this.  Useful post for old Ram truck owners.  I'm used to hearing about 2nd gen Chargers, but was unaware of 2nd gen trucks, how does that one work?
2nd gen 1994 to 2001.  I have two, a 1500 1996 short box 4x4 we bought new and a 1999 V-10 2500 RWD I bought on this site from 41Husk.  The gen has some issues with automatic transmissions and intake plenums, I think they rust slower than the next gen.

lloyd3

TexasStroker

Quote from: lloyd3 on September 12, 2019, 01:41:50 PM
Appreciate that, I guess I'm a 2nd Gen kind-of guy.

:2thumbs:

I still love the body lines.  I can't deny improvements have come along the way: drivetrain and interior materials, but aesthetically they can't be beat imo.  The 2019s are the first significant departure from this styling, but there is a reason they still have the "2019 Classic" as an option.  I know they aren't that old yet, but to me it is a timeless design.  Looked good new, still looks good, and will look good in the future.  Not everyone will agree, but I'm sticking with my opinion  :coolgleamA:

Anyone retrofit a newer dash into a 2nd Gen, lol.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

HANDM

I have a 97 1500 that I bought new, it's got 130,000 on it but with a rebuilt engine about 10,000 ago. This truck has aready had a factory replacement engine at 60,00 due to a bad rod. The last rebuild was due to a spun bearing...

Rebuilder didn't torque the plenum properly so it was consuming oil. I wound up putting the hughes aluminum pan on it and no oil consumption since.

Shortly after the rebuild I had a few exhaust bolts break so now it needs those fixed as well as a new cat (original rattles like a MF) Once its out of emissions (possibly this year or next?) I'll replace the exhaust with headers and dual pipes.

It's been my weekend driver since I got the 17 CTD 2500 (work truck)

TexasStroker

Glad to see another long term owner...sounds like the truck has been pretty good to you!

Has anyone done much to their 5.2/5.9s?  As I plan to pick up the Hughes kit I got to thinking about just replacing the manifold.  The only decent option left seems to be Hughes' modified Air Gap.  I love the intake for my LA, but not sure it is ideal for a Magnum with MPFI.  It is also pretty expensive.  The M1 is hard to find and probably a poor choice for the Ram given the power band.  I really wish the Magnum wasn't so neglected by the aftermarket.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Well, a little update and a possible snowball...

I got all the parts in (including the Chrysler Water Pump) and can kind of use my thumb...still can't feel anything at the tip, but the old nail fell of Friday night so I don't have to worry about that getting ripped off.

The shop finally got a new roof after the Spring hail, so I should be interruption free on that front.  Friday night I noticed that the coolant leak was farther back than usual.  Slid under and determined the rear plugs must be leaking.  Coolant running down the back of the oil pan...sad sight.

Given that I need to replace the 2 on the back of the block, the 2 rear side plugs, and the 2 middle side plugs blocked perfectly by the motor mounts, I am considering just pulling the entire motor.  And yes, I will be replacing all the freeze plugs, including the mint condition fronts, with brass ones.  This also has the potential to evolve into a stroker build with EQ heads.  Might come down to the price AND time frame from the machine shop...I know they were pretty backed up when I dropped by a few months ago.

Anyway, my logic is that I have the equipment to pull the motor...it would make replacing the plugs super easy...I'd have easier access for everything else...and I don't have a good way to drop the transmission.  Mine is an 01 Off Road and I just don't think I could get up to the tranny with what I've got to safely lower it...plus, the side plugs would still be a pain.

Has anyone tackled pulling the motor from a 5.2/5.9 Ram?  Should I leave the tranny in place, or is it easier to pull it out as an assembly?  I'm thinking if I take the front cross support out it will open up a lot of space, although I do have a grill guard to contend with...

Also, has anyone stroked a Magnum for their Ram, Dakota, Durango, or Jeep?  I wouldn't be going all out here, just bumping up the displacement and adding a slightly bigger bump stick with the EQ heads.  I think I could run the big Comp computer cam and have the 390 eat it while still having a nice idle and powerband.

Any insights would be appreciated.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

lloyd3

My off-road 2001 is nearly at 130k and is being used now as a winter driver to the airport. Still serving faithfully and well, with almost no issues to this point. Colorado doesn't have much of a rust issue so my freeze plugs haven't been a challenge yet. As the original owner, I'm willing to keep it as long as I can.