News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Age vs Miles: 2001 Ram 5.2L Magnum Motor Maintenance

Started by TexasStroker, September 06, 2019, 12:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Glad to see another long term owner...sounds like the truck has been pretty good to you!

Has anyone done much to their 5.2/5.9s?  As I plan to pick up the Hughes kit I got to thinking about just replacing the manifold.  The only decent option left seems to be Hughes' modified Air Gap.  I love the intake for my LA, but not sure it is ideal for a Magnum with MPFI.  It is also pretty expensive.  The M1 is hard to find and probably a poor choice for the Ram given the power band.  I really wish the Magnum wasn't so neglected by the aftermarket.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Well, a little update and a possible snowball...

I got all the parts in (including the Chrysler Water Pump) and can kind of use my thumb...still can't feel anything at the tip, but the old nail fell of Friday night so I don't have to worry about that getting ripped off.

The shop finally got a new roof after the Spring hail, so I should be interruption free on that front.  Friday night I noticed that the coolant leak was farther back than usual.  Slid under and determined the rear plugs must be leaking.  Coolant running down the back of the oil pan...sad sight.

Given that I need to replace the 2 on the back of the block, the 2 rear side plugs, and the 2 middle side plugs blocked perfectly by the motor mounts, I am considering just pulling the entire motor.  And yes, I will be replacing all the freeze plugs, including the mint condition fronts, with brass ones.  This also has the potential to evolve into a stroker build with EQ heads.  Might come down to the price AND time frame from the machine shop...I know they were pretty backed up when I dropped by a few months ago.

Anyway, my logic is that I have the equipment to pull the motor...it would make replacing the plugs super easy...I'd have easier access for everything else...and I don't have a good way to drop the transmission.  Mine is an 01 Off Road and I just don't think I could get up to the tranny with what I've got to safely lower it...plus, the side plugs would still be a pain.

Has anyone tackled pulling the motor from a 5.2/5.9 Ram?  Should I leave the tranny in place, or is it easier to pull it out as an assembly?  I'm thinking if I take the front cross support out it will open up a lot of space, although I do have a grill guard to contend with...

Also, has anyone stroked a Magnum for their Ram, Dakota, Durango, or Jeep?  I wouldn't be going all out here, just bumping up the displacement and adding a slightly bigger bump stick with the EQ heads.  I think I could run the big Comp computer cam and have the 390 eat it while still having a nice idle and powerband.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

lloyd3

My off-road 2001 is nearly at 130k and is being used now as a winter driver to the airport. Still serving faithfully and well, with almost no issues to this point. Colorado doesn't have much of a rust issue so my freeze plugs haven't been a challenge yet. As the original owner, I'm willing to keep it as long as I can.