News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New 11 Rear Brakes dragging...Normal???

Started by AKcharger, September 06, 2019, 11:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Installed new 11' shoes and drums.:
- Hand adjust till there's slight dragging on the drum both sides
- Both spin freely with slight drag while off the ground on jacks
- install tires and they will not MOVE/spin (Neutral on jacks)
- Remove pax tire and I can spin it again with slight dragging
- remove drivers tire and drum then install pax drum and tighten...will not spin
- Adjust self adjuster on Pax side ALL the way down install tighten drum and it still drags but Id say moderate as opposed to light or heavy...spins with some effort

Ideas? Put it together and drive it and let it "burn in" or has anyone seen a issue like this?

Thanks!

BLK 68 R/T

I think there is an issue still somewhere. With the drums on you should be able to adjust the shoes so there is no rubbing at all. Been a long time since I messed with them but I would screw the adjuster all the way in (shortest) and put the drums on and then adjust from the backside until the shoes touch again.

AKcharger

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

AKcharger

Quote from: cdr on September 07, 2019, 03:56:45 PM
axle bearing adjustment loose ?

Good guess but found the issue, new drums are bad. hitting/scrapping on back plate  :brickwall:

chargerbr549

From the picture it looks like you have two primary shoes on the drivers side and I assume the pass side has both secondary shoes on it. You want the short primary shoes to the front of the axle and the longer secondary shoes to the rear of the axle.

AKcharger

Quote from: chargerbr549 on September 09, 2019, 12:15:46 AM
From the picture it looks like you have two primary shoes on the drivers side and I assume the pass side has both secondary shoes on it. You want the short primary shoes to the front of the axle and the longer secondary shoes to the rear of the axle.

??? I was pretty sure shoes were all the same when I took them from the box...not the cause of the drag but I'll have to look at that, thanks

AKcharger

Variance between stock 50 year old drums was about .003-.005 on the measurement points I used. the Chinese ones were varied from .017-.053 between each other and up to .050 from OEM drums

AKcharger

Quote from: chargerbr549 on September 09, 2019, 12:15:46 AM

VERY GOOD SIR! You were correct and I've swapped them around. I'll be honest, I just looked that the shoe frame, saw all were the same and just installed them, forgot all about the long/short shoes. Thanks for looking!  :cheers:

BLK 68 R/T

b5blue

Have you lubed the shoe to backing plate contact pads? I adjust and knock the shoe set assembly around a bit while fitting the drum so I see/feel shoe to drum relation. (Snug but not tight.) Then I mash on the brakes a few times to let each shoe set center it's self. If I have decent pedal height, mount the tires and by briskly backing up and slamming on the brakes get final adjustment.
  Man you picked the hottest time of year in FL. to mess with the axles and brakes!  :eek2: Hurricane pass by and feel like 110 degree temps! I hope you have a big floor fan going. :2thumbs: Good Luck!

AKcharger

Yup lubed contact points no noise

I was able to turn the old drums, everything reinstalled and no noise/contact and good braking...case close  :2thumbs:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: AKcharger on September 10, 2019, 12:58:20 PM
Yup lubed contact points no noise

I was able to turn the old drums, everything reinstalled and no noise/contact and good braking...case close  :2thumbs:

Good that you caught it, I had to put washers on the front wheel studs to hold the drum out far enough (long story) to clear before converting to discs..  :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

AKcharger