News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

In a pickle now about getting to reunion

Started by r4daytona, September 09, 2019, 03:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

So I thought I was all set getting to the reunion. Now my friend that was going to let me use his trailer said I can't.  I won't bother with the reasons why( I just wish he would talk to me on the phone).  I have a truck all booked to rent to haul the trailer. my reunion tickets are all purchased, hotels booked, a guy that took time off to help me drive there and now no trailer.  I live about 30 miles south of buffalo - 1-1/2 hours from Erie PA.   Think I should just drive it??  I'm not thrilled with the thought of it just being parked in the open overnight at the hotels, but I may have no choice.   I tried EVERYPLACE I could think of and can't rent a trailer (even open) I have a couple friends that are checking with a couple people.

r4daytona

BS27ROB

I wish I did. I had something similar happen. A friend of mine said I could use his trailer, he said it just sits around most of the time anyway. A couple weeks ago I mentioned the reunion and he said, "I told you I sold the trailer, right." So I just bought a used trailer myself.

chaaargerb

If you have the finances buy a good used trailer. You can always sell it after the show. Trailers are pretty consistent in value. You shouldn't loose as long as you don't over pay for the trailer. When you put the trailer up for sale put the cost of the plates and registration into the sale price.
Just a thought. :Twocents:     

birdsandbees

Will depend on the weather forecast at the time, but lots of guys are driving down... a bunch even all the way from Washington State.

As for the hotel, I'd rather my car be out in the open outside my hotel door than sitting in the trailer in the Walmart parking lot. At least when they steal my truck and trailer from there I'll still have my car!

Wife and I decided the safest bet for us trailering down is to camp each night, as hard to bring a tilt and load into a campground and take everything while we sleep beside it in a tent or in the truck or trailer. Once there, there is security for the lot at Atlanta on Wednesday night.

You can't trailer your car into Tim's Estate anyhow, so you're out in the open Friday.. downtown Saturday and then off to the track Sunday is the only point I plan on putting mine back in the trailer... or the wife may just drive the car and I'll follow in the truck/trailer to the track just to save a load and tie down.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Aero426

Tom, have you checked local trailer places for a rental trailer?       My nephew has did it this way for a couple of years.   Worked out well.

birdsandbees

You can't park your trailer at the hotel anyhow.. but as others noted, you could buy an enclosed trailer to haul her down and then resell it after the event. Loss if any probably less than trailer rental for a week or so.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

DAY CLONA

Just drive the thing, that's what they're intended for...

birdsandbees

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 09, 2019, 09:38:03 PM
Just drive the thing, that's what they're intended for...
True Dat ! But we do get snow up here from time to time in early October.. hopefully not this year!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

rainbow4jd

I tend to be conservative.   You can cancel hotels and recover most of your espenses.    Unless you're confident in A) your Birds drive worthiness and B) that you have reasonable public security - I'd err on the side of caution.

If someone wanted to steal a bird - there's not a better opportunity than when the largest gathering will be taking place.

Just my opinion, but as I said - I'm conservative.  I like to minimize risks

hergfest

r4daytona

Doug, I've checked rentals  U haul only goes to 12'.   Peneske has a trailer BUT you also have to rent their cube truck to pull it AND they say only 1972 or newer can go on the trailer. So even if I lied about the year I still have to pay for the cube truck and the mileage.  Enterprise - no trailers.  I hate texting, I wish my friend (hopefully not "ex friend" would just pick up the phone and return my call)  I know if I did drive it the gas would probably cost the same as hauling it- but it would be cheaper than renting a truck and trailer.  However, I am aware of the many things that could go wrong driving it ( or even trailering it).

Aero426

Quote from: r4daytona on September 10, 2019, 07:14:36 AM
Doug, I've checked rentals  U haul only goes to 12'.   Peneske has a trailer BUT you also have to rent their cube truck to pull it AND they say only 1972 or newer can go on the trailer. So even if I lied about the year I still have to pay for the cube truck and the mileage.  Enterprise - no trailers.  I hate texting, I wish my friend (hopefully not "ex friend" would just pick up the phone and return my call)  I know if I did drive it the gas would probably cost the same as hauling it- but it would be cheaper than renting a truck and trailer.  However, I am aware of the many things that could go wrong driving it ( or even trailering it).

Tom, there's gotta be some local mom and pop trailer outfits that do rentals.     I also agree with a couple of the other posts about buying a trailer and selling it after.     The financial hit on a newish trailer is pretty small.     Or maybe, it is the next step in upgrading your gear.         It's a handy thing to have.

RallyeMike

I would drive it, but if you are not comfortable with that then I suggest buying a trailer (new or used) and selling when done. Car trailers have very good resale value. If you buy a trailer then you are in control of the situation.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

held1823

one rental option in your general area. i'm sure there are many others

https://www.jimstrailerworld.com/rentals
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

r4daytona

Thanks for the ideas. IF I did buy one I'd have to sell it.  I live 600' from Lake Erie in a beach community with small lots ( my yard is only 50" wide)  I had a trailer in it once and it took up my WHOLE driveway and I have no room on my front yard.  I'm still thinking.  Again, I'll listen to all options

moparstuart

hook up with someone else in the area and caravan down     . Driving in a group  helps incase of breakdowns 

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

r4daytona

Unfortunately I believe I'm the only one in my area.

Impkidd

If you are near a local trailer dealer, maybe you get to know them. Tell them your intentions, and ask them if you could buy a trailer from them, they could hold up on the paperwork, with the understanding that when you are done using it, undamaged, they would buy it back, less a 'usage charge'.
    I tried a couple of years ago to rent an enclosed trailer for the Power Piston Show in Cleveland. Not many around that I found. One place I could only rent a trailer if I had a 3/4 ton truck or greater, and it had to be titled in my name.

AKcharger

hemi68charger

Oh an extreme note Tom, you could always rent a UHaul Autotransport. Seriously. I have used them a lot over 30 years and never once did that leave me stranded. I have always towed a B-body (Runner or Charger )... The ONLY concern I would have is the nose, but I don't think that is an issue..... It may not be enclosed, but at least you'll get it there...... If you rent one, just tell them you are renting it local for a few days....... I think it is cheaper that way........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Talkiemoparjr

We talkiemopar's are driving from Northern Ky (Cinncinatti) and plan on leaving  early Wednesday the 9th down I-75 to Atlanta.  If you are looking for running partner. ::)

white

Troy is right, I too have used uhaul to haul my C500 and 68r/t and had 0 issues.

PettyMower

When I'm traveling with mine, I prefer to stay at a "Bed & Breakfast" over a Hotel. I sleep much better knowing it's sitting behind a privately owned house in a nice neighborhood.

Research the area where you'll spend the night, and Google Map the property.  Sometimes they have a garage too.

r4daytona

A big THANK YOU for all the suggestions.  Problem solved.  A Trooper friend of mine hooked me up with a friend of his. Found a 28' trailer, two spares, all the straps etc. $200  Cheaper than the tires I would have bought my friend if he would have called me back.  SOOOO, as long as the truck I rented doesn't break down or we get in an accident, I'll be seeing you there and looking forward to meeting a bunch of you.  Also, I would like to put a "suggestion sheet" on my car just so I can start doing the small details I told GYC not to bother with.

r4daytona

I forgot some of the details I'm trying to find are white arms rest pads for the front, I have the correct wiper arms but the pivot base chrome is shot - is there a place or kit that I can replace those with the correct rivets?  Little things like that I'm hoping to find out rather than the "picking my car apart" crap that i experienced for over a year because GYC did it.

Mopar John

Tom,
I think the GYC was a neat deal for you overall!
You basically took a roller and made it into a complete driving Daytona all on television.
The problem is Mark talks about "OE" restorations all during the show and
walks into the parts room loaded with new reproduction parts.
I applaud you to continue to work on the details of your Daytona!
On the wiper arms I am not aware of rivets or repair kits for them.
So I would put my best pair on and look for better.
There are several sets on EBAY now.
Type in 15b wiper arms or mopar 15" wiper arms.
Do not buy any 15a wiper arms as they are made for A body Mopars!
Be sure to study the pictures and make sure they are nice!
See you in a few weeks!
MJ

r4daytona

Thanks John and I know you have been helping me with some of those details.  Yes, as I have mentioned in previous messages to you, I never wanted, or would want to take this car to the level you do.  Financially it wouldn't have made sense since so much has been changed.  As my story went- I just wanted a wing car- superbird or daytona, I didn't care.  Luckily I got this Daytona and I am happy because I know it's real.  I'll work on the other stuff as I feel like it.  Hope to meet you at the show??

69_500

Looking forward to talking to you down there. Look for the guy with the T5 500. I definitely wanna look at your car.

Danny

r4daytona

I don't want anyone to make fun of my repo armrests! lol  I have a nice set of rears and as I've stated before (in parts wanted) I'm looking for a nice set of white front pads.  Then I'm going to paint them the correct color.   As I also mentioned I may put a "suggestion sheet" of details I'd like to do which I planned to do myself anyways. What better place to get suggestions on what I can improve upon then at the reunion with you guys that know WAY more than I do!!!

70Sbird

I suggest just drive it! I've been daily driving my Superbird for the last week to look for any bugs or issues and I have a list already to fix for this weekend, but I'm going to put 2,000 miles on it in the next few weeks and I think it's ready! This will be the fourth reunion in Talladega that I've driven to and I'm looking forward to the trip!

Scott Faulkner

hergfest

For the 2009 Reunion I ordered a set of seat covers for my 500 before I left.  They showed up with a week to go, opened them up, and they had a big knife cut in the drivers seat.  Leather SE seats so there was no way I was getting another set before we left.  So my solution?  We took the 1970 Charger seats out of my Dad's 1970 Charger R/T and bolted them into the 500.  Only once all weekend did someone say "Why do you have 70 seats in your 69?"  No one cared.  And no one will care if you armrests are "wrong".  Just drive it and enjoy it.  The added bonus is that 70 Charger high back buckets are way more comfortable than 69 seats. 

gtx6970

Quote from: r4daytona on September 20, 2019, 01:23:40 PM
I don't want anyone to make fun of my repo armrests! lol  I have a nice set of rears and as I've stated before (in parts wanted) I'm looking for a nice set of white front pads.  Then I'm going to paint them the correct color.   As I also mentioned I may put a "suggestion sheet" of details I'd like to do which I planned to do myself anyways. What better place to get suggestions on what I can improve upon then at the reunion with you guys that know WAY more than I do!!!

My advise,
drive it and enjoy it.
If people have a problem with it , that's THERE problem not yours.
UNLESS you're asking for critiques