News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who wants to see Chrysler/Fiats at a car show

Started by ACUDANUT, September 10, 2019, 10:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wants to see NEW Chrysler/Fiats at a car show

Nobody
5 (27.8%)
Classic style only
4 (22.2%)
20 plus years old
4 (22.2%)
30 plus years old
2 (11.1%)
40 plus years old
3 (16.7%)
50 plus years old
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: November 09, 2019, 10:19:14 PM

ACUDANUT

Who wants to see new Chrysler/Fiats at a car show. NOT ME.

timmycharger

Me...

No wait! let me see more 75 year old guys with fuzzy dice on their 55 Chevy sitting in chairs with 50's music screaming from a terrible speaker, can we get more of that? That should keep the hobby going for next generation of car guys..

odcics2

Quote from: timmycharger on September 11, 2019, 06:20:31 AM
Me...

No wait! let me see more 75 year old guys with fuzzy dice on their 55 Chevy sitting in chairs with 50's music screaming from a terrible speaker, can we get more of that? That should keep the hobby going for next generation of car guys..

:cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Lennard

Me...

:lol:

chargervert

If you want to keep the hobby alive, you will welcome all who wish to participate with open arms!  There is room enough for everyone.

70 sublime

How many of these new car guys at the shows are really old guys that used to have a neat old car but just can not do it any more but still want to participate
And how many are the younger crowd that have just not found that neat car yet but will someday ??
And then there would be the third group that are going to be original owners of a 30 year old 2018 Hellcat at the car shows
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

c00nhunterjoe

krops cars

I agree with chargervert. I also hate crappy speakers. When he said that I had a show in mind right away.

HANDM

If I were to go/ enter a car show it would be with my 18 T/A cause at least it's mildly rare  ::)

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: chargervert on September 11, 2019, 07:27:12 AM
If you want to keep the hobby alive, you will welcome all who wish to participate with open arms!  There is room enough for everyone.

You said it.  the more diversity the better!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

67440chrg

I don't mind seeing newer cars at shows. If it is a judged show there needs to be a class for them. A few of the owners are future classic car owners.

krops cars

Isn't the idea of car shows to have cool cars around no matter what year hang out with people. Talk about cars see what people are doing with their cars and b.s. about anything else that comes up. You know fun with out judgment about what you brought.

Ponch ®

Me...

THIS.

And they're still blasting the same old Beach Boys / Steely Dan / Foghat songs. Not saying they oughtta play Post Malone or Bring Me the Horizon, but geez, at least move past 1975?

Then they sit around in their chairs in a circle, totally unapproachable. If the classic car hobby is dying, its because theyre killing it.

Re: the new cars - I belong to a mopar club that organizes two car shows a year. Those things aint cheap to put on. From a pragmatic perspective, if I'm seeing a line of 30+ new challengers waiting to get in, or PT Cruisers - hell, we even get a decent turnout of K Cars - I'm seeing money that helps to keep the show going. We  even have a guy that shows up in a DaimlerChrysler era Mercedes and insists he should be allowed in, so we let him. I say bring on the Abarths!
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Q5XX29

At out recent Moparama show, along with several vintage "true" Mopars, I brought my wife's cute little Alfa Romeo 4c spider (a Fiat subsidiary), which I DID purchase in a roundabout way through the dealership where the car show was held. Several people commented how they thought it was cool to see it there, and definitely added a little variety to the show. That may have been stretching the "MOPAR" theme of the show a bit, but hey...
dakota_gt on Instagram

stripedelete

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 12, 2019, 11:48:34 AM
Me...

Then they sit around in their chairs in a circle, totally unapproachable. If the classic car hobby is dying, its because theyre killing it.

Yep!

John_Kunkel

Why would I go to a car show to see stuff that's parked in every Wally World parking lot? Until it isn't so common, it doesn't belong in a car show.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

If i see a "club" seated in their safe circle, i move along and pay no mind. Its easy to pick out the people who want to talk cars at shows. Im no trophy hunter, i go for the drive to and from, and to talk to people ther. And yes, i like the 50s and 60s music blasting, given they have a good sound system. Sorry, but i dont want to listen to ja-rule and nsync at the local cruises. Not my taste and im only in my 30s

Ponch ®

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 12, 2019, 03:49:02 PM
 Sorry, but i dont want to listen to ja-rule and nsync at the local cruises.  

me neither. even that's 20 years old. All Im saying is get with the times.

I mean, on the one hand the old guys can't bellyache about young people not being into old/classic cars and killing the hobby, while at the same time alienating them by insisting that everything has to be their way or how it was done in their day. Sorry, im a relatively younger guy (late 30's) and I love the hobby, but I sure as hell cant stand the Eagles.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Kern Dog

Hey....Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy.....Take it easy.

Ghoste

A lot of the newer cars at the shows have been modified in some way too when you slow down to actually look at them. 

krops cars

RallyeMike

Though I'll be walking right by them, any car enthusiast is welcome in my eyes. My only complaint is when he music is played too loud. It should just be in the background.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

tan top

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 11, 2019, 09:02:17 AM
How many of these new car guys at the shows are really old guys that used to have a neat old car but just can not do it any more but still want to participate
And how many are the younger crowd that have just not found that neat car yet but will someday ??
And then there would be the third group that are going to be original owners of a 30 year old 2018 Hellcat at the car shows

think we all got to stick together think basically a car guy is a car guy ! although there are going to be variables in anything !
I personally would like shows to be separated IMO

going off on a tangent & getting a bit side tracked  :P sorry to the kind of hijack
one thing that I wonder about , will all these hellcat challengers & chargers  latest mustangs cameros corvettes still be around in 30 years time , with all the  starship  electronics on modern cars of today,  when all that stuff starts going wrong with age &  many heat cycles & vibration , where do you start to look or find OEM parts for !! we all know as it is modern cars of the last 25 years or so ( you need to be a contortionist  with 4 foot  long arms & tiny hands to work on them easily  ;) ) they have touch me & im history plastic on every electrical connections clips  hundereds of miles or wiring & parts to make the car run that even I have know idea why :shruggy: , my charger don't need them  :lol:  in 30 years  repop Chinese electrical parts for a hell cat bought at year one or napa  rock auto etc   hmmmm   :pullinghair:  look at the late 80s / 90s cars computer controlled that go wrong today if any are still left ... well most have gone to the crusher years ago  hell cats  etc go the same way or will they be retro fitted with painless wiring &  a holley or fast fuel injection set up  in 30 years time because none of the OEM stuff is available from the dealer ! all they sell is battery powered cars & going in to them will be like a scene from demolition  man  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2019, 05:22:44 AM
A lot of the newer cars at the shows have been modified in some way too

Yeah, with billet, neon and boom boxes. 4-wheel independent suspension that's been slammed looks ridiculous with the wheels cambered in.  :down:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 13, 2019, 04:56:31 PM

Yeah, with billet, neon and boom boxes. 4-wheel independent suspension that's been slammed looks ridiculous with the wheels cambered in.  :down:

Its called stance bro...  :rofl:

And i cant stand the eagles either. Im not a dead nuts 60s guy, i can go from franki valli to metallica back to back. I have a very broad spectrum of music.
   I like all cars, but our local show do not usually draw enough cars to have lots of classes. We usually have judges top 20 or something to the sort. Throw in a best paint, best engineered, best engine bay, etc etc.

John_Kunkel

I love the Eagles but that's not what they play at car shows around here, more like Chuck Berry era stuff.

Example of new cars show:

https://www.michaelbrianstudios.com/Automotive/Car-Shows/Spring-Fest-LX-2018/

alfaitalia

There are some cars there I would like to own....and others I would like to set fire to! Each to there own... a car is a car. No getting over that fact that any car with any sort of internal combustion engine is sooner or later (sooner over here) going to be a dying breed and the bunny loving tree huggers are out to get us (and deep down inside we know they are right and will win whether you want/believe it or not).....so we need to stick together regardless of what we drive. I go to new car (and classic and motorcycle shows) whenever I can....I just like motorised transport!!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Todd Wilson

Me...

I understand what you are saying but I am starting to hear some of my music at cars............whats that mean?  Those 75 year old guys are starting to die off...........whats that mean for me?  Music I like at the shows but it also means I am next on the list to die off!!!!   

Your time is coming Junior!! Your music's time will be here sooner then you think!!!   :icon_smile_big:

Todd

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 11, 2019, 09:02:17 AM

There are a lot of the old guys who sold their old car for a new car around here in Kansas!  Sold their old rough riding no AC cars and now take their new Mustang GT to the shows...........

Todd

John_Kunkel

I'm an old guy by anybody's definition and I like most of the music at old car shows but I prefer to choose my own tunes and their volume. Music that's played so loud that you have to shout to carry on a conversation isn't conducive to having a good time.

c00nhunterjoe

Most of the time, excessive volume is because the dj was undercut and only has 2 speakers so the guys nesr the booth are deaf and the guys at the end of the field still cant hear him......

Ghoste

Pretty soon we will all have self driving electric cars that look the same anyway so it wont matter.  lol

Ponch ®

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 13, 2019, 04:56:31 PM

Heh....not much different than the goofy stuff some of you guys were doing to perfectly fine muscle cars back in the 70's - 80's.

The "good old days" are, and have always been, a myth.

Kern Dog

The guy is annoying but he is right. Poor taste has been around forever.

Ghoste

And there were plenty of old guys to complain about it at every step.

67440chrg

I would drive the s**t out of one of them shackled up hood scooped crazy paint machines if it was original paint from back in the day.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

c00nhunterjoe

nvrbdn

We just had a local show where young kids were the judges. Mopar class was just all mopar modified and all mopar stock. An immaculate 68 Dart (stock), 2 perfect 68 Road Runners (both stock), a mint 69 Road Runner (modified), a beautiful 69 GTX (modified) a 70 GTX that was absolutely beautiful (stock), my Charger (Modified) and the trophies go to a PT Cruiser (modified) 1st place, a 2017 Challenger (stock) 1st place. Best over all Mopar 2017 Challenger. Now I am all for all vehicles being allowed to show. But you need to have judges that aren't high school kids picking a car because it is what they want when they get out of school. Those Road Runners were the cleanest cars I have seen in a long time. First time I have seen them out. I drooled over them. The 68 Dart was an absolutely flawless 100% stock car with all documentation. and a new car wins best mopar over all. such a shame. But then, after the show is over, it is just another piece of plastic.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ponch ®

Quote from: nvrbdn on September 18, 2019, 12:12:40 PM
We just had a local show where young kids were the judges. Mopar class was just all mopar modified and all mopar stock. An immaculate 68 Dart (stock), 2 perfect 68 Road Runners (both stock), a mint 69 Road Runner (modified), a beautiful 69 GTX (modified) a 70 GTX that was absolutely beautiful (stock), my Charger (Modified) and the trophies go to a PT Cruiser (modified) 1st place, a 2017 Challenger (stock) 1st place. Best over all Mopar 2017 Challenger. Now I am all for all vehicles being allowed to show. But you need to have judges that aren't high school kids picking a car because it is what they want when they get out of school. Those Road Runners were the cleanest cars I have seen in a long time. First time I have seen them out. I drooled over them. The 68 Dart was an absolutely flawless 100% stock car with all documentation. and a new car wins best mopar over all. such a shame. But then, after the show is over, it is just another piece of plastic.

I can see that from both sides. on the one hand, yeah, you have a super clean classic mopar and are pissed that you didnt get a trophy. On the other, it's somewhat refreshing to see that if you roll up at a car show in a PT cruiser you have a shot at taking something home - underdog type thing. That's what keeps people coming back.

I judge "new" (09-now) challengers at our car show. If it's bone stock (some times they still have dealer plates/stickers) I will still look at them but won't consider them for a trophy. There's no merit to that. But if you have a new challenger that's been modified and you've added a lot of custom touches, I take into consideration the work, effort, and money it took - even if it's personally not my cup of tea.  That said,  I think we're getting to the point - maybe in the next year or so - where if I see a clean, unmolested 2009 Challenger, I will take a serious look at it.

krops cars

90 lb. air shocks are fine. It was when people put them at 100 lb. Plus. Like 67440chrg said drive the s--t out them. Some times people need to take off their skirts.

Mytur Binsdirti

It was bad enough when AMC cars starting to show up at Mopar meets; Fiats would be 100 times worse.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on September 18, 2019, 02:06:47 PM
It was bad enough when AMC cars starting to show up at Mopar meets; Fiats would be 100 times worse.

you guys are so easily triggered. Need a mopar safe space?

krops cars

Not triggered. I like it all. You a true car lover. I even like a well done Mitsubishi Eclipse. Bring it all on.

ACUDANUT

The point was, anyone can go finance a new car. If I want to see the new cars, I will go to a dealership.  The hard work is keeping them running 30 plus years and showing them.

Ponch ®

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 18, 2019, 06:00:50 PM
The point was, anyone can go finance a new car. If I want to see the new cars, I will go to a dealership.  The hard work is keeping them running 30 plus years and showing them.

Anyone can write a check to a shop to restore and/or keep their 30+ year old car running. By the same token, a lot of the modded/customized newer cars that some of you guys look down so easily upon took a lot of hard work by the owner to get them that way.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 18, 2019, 06:28:09 PM
The point was, anyone can go finance a new car. If I want to see the new cars, I will go to a dealership.  The hard work is keeping them running 30 plus years and showing them.

Anyone can write a check to a shop to restore and/or keep their 30+ year old car running. By the same token, a lot of the modded/customized newer cars that some of you guys look down so easily upon took a lot of hard work by the owner to get them that way.

Wrong, banks don't lend or finance money on 40-50 year old cars.  What world do you live in besides east LA.

smithenhiven

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 18, 2019, 07:58:34 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on September 18, 2019, 06:28:09 PM

Wrong, banks don't lend or finance money on 40-50 year old cars.  What world do you live in besides east LA.

Sure they do, I know people who have used home equity loans, and signature lines of credit to obtain and/or do things to their classic cars.  I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, it's their credit, debt and payments, not mine. 

John_Kunkel

When financing a new car, the car is the collateral for the loan.

There's a difference between buying a classic car and using the car as collateral and using a home/signature as collateral. There are many lending institutions that will use the car as collateral, do a Google search.