News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hard starting when hot

Started by comet_666, September 14, 2019, 01:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

When its cold the starter turns over like normal, 2 or 3 seconds and its running
When its hot it seems like it can barely turn over, almost like starter heat soak or something. Volts seem fine 12.6 to 14.6

thoughts?

70 sublime

Your motor is harder to turn when it is very hot not the starter
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cdr

possible to much cranking ign timing
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

b5blue

Check crimps and connections for all wires, resistance increases with heat.

green69rt

Quote from: comet_666 on September 14, 2019, 01:23:40 PM
When its cold the starter turns over like normal, 2 or 3 seconds and its running
When its hot it seems like it can barely turn over, almost like starter heat soak or something. Volts seem fine 12.6 to 14.6

thoughts?

Is that the volts when cranking?  It may be something else but the first thing is to check the volts at the starter and work back from there.

justcruisin

The engine shouldn't be any harder to crank when hot unless there is a clearance issue. I would be checking timing and electrics first. Check you have good connections at the battery, starter, solenoid and ground, just because they are tight doesn't mean they haven't been arcing under the stud. Use a clamp meter to check current draw cold and again when it is slow to crank. Check battery, substitute a known or new battery to test, heat does effect a batteries performance. Lastly pull the starter, if you know what to look for open it up or substitute a known replacement. Check the easy stuff first and move down the list. If all tests OK you may have to consider a tight engine or maybe water in the cylinders but that usually shows on a cold engine.

comet_666

I had hooked my fi tech handheld unit when car was off and then started it, looks like "battery is around 8.7 during cranking
I just replaced the starter relay because sometimes I was getting no key at all, now that works fine.

green69rt

If I were you I'd pull that battery and take it for testing, Most Walmarts will do it for free.

comet_666

damn red top battery..only 4 years old and I have it on a tender all winter

c00nhunterjoe

green69rt

Quote from: comet_666 on September 17, 2019, 09:39:48 AM
damn red top battery..only 4 years old and I have it on a tender all winter

Four years is good.  Batteries age even when not used.