News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to bench bleed and clean re-man power steering pump

Started by 67tbird, September 15, 2019, 08:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67tbird

I am replacing the power steering pump and haven't seen anything about a way to bench test them. I also want to add a filter before my new Borgeson box but don't know where would be a good spot or what type would be used for steering fluid. Thanks Dave

Canadian1968

I don't believe you can bench test them with out special equipment ? The pumps run at very high pressure. I had mine rebuilt, when I put it on the car and it leaked, after talking with the rebuilder he said they test them up to 3000 psi. Regardless I had to take it out and return it so he could fix it again. 

Bleeding procedures are pretty simple. just fill with fluid , raise the front wheels off the ground, start the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times. You may need to add a bit more fluid as the box fills up.

As for a filter, not sure why you would want one. Its a very small closed system. There isn't any where for contaminants to get in ?

Canadian1968

Sorry I kinda of mixed up my parts. 

I was talking about the power steering BOX , not the pump.  Regardless I don't think there is a way to bench test the pump either.

b5blue

Filter on return line, has a magnet inside also. NAPA has them.  :2thumbs:

67tbird

I gotta stop posting after work, not to coherent(not much better after sleep either ::)) What I want to do is recirculate the factory fluid out and replace it, just to make sure there aren't any metal or other impurities in the fluid.
pulled the old pump this morning and found grit and sand at the bottom of the reservoir so somebody must have been running it with no cap. I had just dumped the old fluid and hadn't bothered looking at it. Now I need to call Borgeson and see what they suggest, I know it wont be covered under warranty but want to do what I can to save it.